Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

MormonLeaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    Is that in keeping with the general trend we're seeing throughout Christianity as well (I know most Mainline denominations are also seeing major declines), or are they losing members faster than even most Christian denominations?
    Interesting question. Last I checked, they claimed a growth rate of about 1.5%. I'm not sure if I remember where I got that figure but if it came from the LDS church, I'd take it with a grain of salt.

I think any major mainstream denomination claiming a 1.5% growth rate would be ecstatic.
    The last Christian left at tweb

Comment

There is something unique about Mormon Christians - the Mormon glow.
      Source: http://www.ldsliving.com/-The-Mormon-Glow-Study-Found-that-People-Really-Can-Identify-Mormons-in-a-Crowd/s/78779

Researchers from Canada have proven that something is different about Mormons, and even those who do not subscribe to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints can see it.

A study done by psychology professor Nicholas Rule, of Toronto University, shows that Mormons and non-Mormons alike can identify Mormons based on no more than their skin quality.

© Copyright Original Source

. . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

I think theologyweb is off limits to mormons because we kept deconverting them. Or scaring them off like Trout's brother in law LDStrue, and nrajeff. We are probably on some "do not go there or you might lose your faith" list.

Comment

Originally posted by Trout View Post
          Interesting question. Last I checked, they claimed a growth rate of about 1.5%. I'm not sure if I remember where I got that figure but if it came from the LDS church, I'd take it with a grain of salt.

I think any major mainstream denomination claiming a 1.5% growth rate would be ecstatic.
          Do the Assemblies of God count as mainline? The 2015 U.S. Growth rate was 1.4%. In fact, they have had 24 straight years of growth. I think from what I could find, the AOG global growth rate is 1.7%
          "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

If the growth rate is declining, it's still by definition growing.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
              It was my understanding that Mormonism was one of the fastest growing religions in the world behind Islam and non-denominational/Evangelical Christianity. Is that no longer true?
              They claim it to be the case. However, they have horrible retention rates. Not to mention they're losing members a lot faster than they're gaining them.
              I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                I think theologyweb is off limits to mormons because we kept deconverting them. Or scaring them off like Trout's brother in law LDStrue, and nrajeff. We are probably on some "do not go there or you might lose your faith" list.
                I can live with that
                I am Punkinhead.

Comment

Originally posted by ke7ejx View Post
                  They claim it to be the case. However, they have horrible retention rates. Not to mention they're losing members a lot faster than they're gaining them.
                  really? is that true?

Comment

Originally posted by setsurinvich View Post
                    really? is that true?
                    Yep.
                    I am Punkinhead.

Comment

any proof of that?

Comment

As an aside, a new employee at where I work is Mormon and was in a polygamous marriage (3 wives) from 20004 to 2014. I'm looking forward to picking his brain smiley rub hands.gif er, I mean

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

20004? 10 thousand years from now?

Comment

20004? 10 thousand years from now?
                            "from 20004 to 2014" would indicate either BC, or perhaps they had some weird experience with living backwards through time. Not sure which is the more likely though.
                            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                            Scripture before Tradition:
                            but that won't prevent others from
                            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                              "from 20004 to 2014" would indicate either BC, or perhaps they had some weird experience with living backwards through time. Not sure which is the more likely though.
                              Perhaps that's what poligamy does to you?

We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore on Christ's behalf: 'Be reconciled to God!!'
                              - 2 Corinthians 5:20.
                              In deviantArt: ll-bisto-ll.deviantart.com
                              Christian art and more: Christians.deviantart.com

Comment

It is sacred to them and tends to drive mormons away from the site when they are discussed by nonmormons. So in concession we have agreed not to discuss the details here. We still allow general discussions about the ceremonies just not specifics.
                                I post on many apologetic sites, and it doesn't drive Mormons away at all. They simply don't comment. I think, personally, that people who are interested in the temple rituals can simply go to the NewNameNoah channel on Youtube and they'll be able to observe them for themselves.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X