Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Psychologists: Hey, maybe we should randomly redistribute babies at birth

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Psychologists: Hey, maybe we should randomly redistribute babies at birth

This sounds exactly like something Starlight would propose:

http://www.unz.com/isteve/abolish-ge...ies-at-random/

Would swapping children at birth help to achieve a society without prejudice?

Imagine a world in which all the babies born each day were randomly redistributed among the biological parents. The infant assigned to any given set of parents could be white, black, Asian, Hispanic, Native American, or any combination thereof (and thatís just the US); the baby could be perfectly healthy or grossly deformed. Parents would know only that their child was not their biological child. Let us call this social mixing.

This plan is of course politically impossible, perhaps even repellent. Our goal, however, is to engage the reader in a thought experiment, to examine why it stirs up such uncomfortable feelings.

Is the idea so frightening? Yes it is. It is a frightening thought that your own biological child, the one sitting there now doing her homework, might have gone to an impoverished mother or a drug addict, perhaps have been beaten, perhaps starved. But why, save for genetic chauvinism, do we view with comparative equanimity the everyday reality of other peopleís children subject to the same treatment by their own biological mothers?
    "Genetic chauvinism"

2. Amen Meh Gerbil amen'd this post.
    Theologyweb's Official Grandfather Jedidiah's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Busing babies.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Faith
    circular balloonist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The big problem with academia is they aren't required to live in the real world.
    I think our mental processes constantly have to touch ground or they end up in ridiculous places.
    I'm busy working myself into an early grave for my share of Kingdom Loot!

tWebber
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by OP article
    This plan is of course politically impossible, perhaps even repellent. Our goal, however, is to engage the reader in a thought experiment, to examine why it stirs up such uncomfortable feelings.
    As usual the posters here fail the reading comprehension / IQ test at the words "thought experiment".

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    As usual the posters here fail the reading comprehension / IQ test at the words "thought experiment".
    More like we ignore it because we know it's just a way to put forward a perverse reccomendation while giving themselves plausible deniability that they really think it's a good idea (they obviously do, it follows perverse leftist logic to a T).

7. Amen Meh Gerbil, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Executor View Post
    More like we ignore it because we know it's just a way to put forward a perverse reccomendation while giving themselves plausible deniability that they really think it's a good idea
    You have amazing telepathic powers... you can cut through the 'lies' because you simply 'know' what others are thinking... and these powers give you the wrong answer every single time. It's incredible.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    You have amazing telepathic powers... you can cut through the 'lies' because you simply 'know' what others are thinking... and these powers give you the wrong answer every single time. It's incredible.
    "Hey guys what if we kill all the Jews, here are some great benefits of doing that... not that I'm a nazi or anything, it's just a thought experiment."

10. Amen Meh Gerbil, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    circular balloonist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Executor View Post
    "Hey guys what if we kill all the Jews, here are some great benefits of doing that... not that I'm a nazi or anything, it's just a thought experiment."
    Let's do a thought experiment where we examine the economic impact of reinstituting slavery.
    (Go ahead, suggest that as a researcher in a modern academic environment.)
    I'm busy working myself into an early grave for my share of Kingdom Loot!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    you know who else not only proposed a similar plan to take kids away from their parents and raise them themselves but actually did it?

The Nazis.

with not exactly the result that these psychologists envisioned.

13. Amen Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Didn't Australia at one time kidnap aboriginal children so they wouldn't "be raised as savages"? I don't think poor people would want their kids to be taken just because they aren't in the most ideal environment either.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

15. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.