Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Christian Evangelism isn't a Political Party

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Is he though? Because I thought the whole point of Frankenstein was that he was NOT dead any more? You know, un-dead.
    I say po-tay-to, you say po-tah-to. Let's just call the whole thing off.

Comment

• I wish I would have started a thread that went to 14 pages.
      Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

• Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
        I wish I would have started a thread that went to 14 pages.
        If its any comfort, we've barely discussed the OP, so it's been sort've a bust as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
          If its any comfort, we've barely discussed the OP, so it's been sort've a bust as far as I'm concerned.
          I tried sugar. I tried.
          "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
          Hear my cry, hear my shout,
          Save me, save me"

Comment

I'm all about style over substance.
            Shut up, in advance.

You too, Sparko... guac.. etc.
            Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

• Originally posted by guacamole View Post
              I think you know well that an infant, in normal circumstances, will develop awareness.
              Before I could agree with this I would like some evidence that infants, even newborn, are not self aware. They certainly appear to be. If you deny this then I need a clear definition of how one can determine self awareness with out error.
              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                Before I could agree with this I would like some evidence that infants, even newborn, are not self aware. They certainly appear to be. If you deny this then I need a clear definition of how one can determine self awareness with out error.
                Yeah, to be honest, I don't even know. It's not like we can just ask the infants, and it's not like Starlight and Tassman aren't being a bit loosey goosey with the term "awareness."

fwiw,
                guacamole
                "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
                Hear my cry, hear my shout,
                Save me, save me"

Comment

um yeah. That was not where I was going with my statement.

I meant that those who claim that no brain activity or self awareness (yet) means that abortion and infanticide is OK are not really interested in proving that babies in the womb or right after have consciousness or anything like that, they just want an excuse to kill the baby and not feel guilty. They plan on killing it either way, but if they can tell themselves that "oh well it doesn't think like me so it is not a person" then they can feel a little less guilty.
                  Dehumanizing the target group and portraying them as nothing but a burden was, at the risk of invoking Godwin's Law, exactly what the Nazis did with their eugenics program.

The poster above roughly translates as: "This person suffering from hereditary defects costs the community 60,000 Reichsmark during his lifetime. Fellow German, that is your money, too" from the Office of Racial Policy's New People[1]

While the above primarily made an economic argument the entire program revolved around portraying various groups (and not just ethnic and religious ones but the disabled as well) as less than human and therefore not to be afforded the same rights and protections that a human has.

By the late 1930s the Nazis employed propaganda movies designed to persuade the German public that those who had genetic infirmities were dangerous to the health of the nation and ought to be exterminated rather than kept alive as "neutered beings." In the beginning they utilized specially modified buses designed to allow engine exhaust into the passenger area to pick up patients and kill them while transporting them.

1. Nazi monthly publication of the Office of Racial Policy in Nazi Germany concerning racial policy.
                  Last edited by rogue06; 03-21-2017, 09:52 PM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
                    I'm all about style over substance.
                    Shut up, in advance.

You too, Sparko... guac.. etc.
                    Screen-Shot-2015-11-18-at-4.07.19-PM-1024x678.jpg

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      at the risk of invoking Godwin's Law
                      Eh, go ahead and invoke it any time you want. It's a stupid made up internet "law" anyways. Why shouldn't people compare modern evils to the most atrocious ever known in recent Western history? I mean, they were committed within the lifetimes of our very own parents and grandparents, and it's a subject that just about everyone is familiar with. People who complain about it only do so cause they don't have better rebuttals. It's a cheap debate technique, and it should be pointed out as such.

Comment

Eh, go ahead and invoke it any time you want. It's a stupid made up internet "law" anyways. Why shouldn't people compare modern evils to the most atrocious ever known in recent Western history? I mean, they were committed within the lifetimes of our very own parents and grandparents, and it's a subject that just about everyone is familiar with. People who complain about it only do so cause they don't have better rebuttals. It's a cheap debate technique, and it should be pointed out as such.
                        Accusations of someone/something being no different than the Nazis does get over done

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Accusations of someone/something being no different than the Nazis does get over done
                          Like I said, for good reason. It's immediately and universally recognizable...Hitler is the Mickey Mouse of evil. There's nothing wrong with using a great example, no matter how often it's invoked.

Comment

um yeah. That was not where I was going with my statement.
                            Indeed! Where you were going was self-righteously condemning those faced with the difficult decision of whether or not to have an abortion, as is the woman’s right under certain defined conditions.

I meant that those who claim that no brain activity or self awareness (yet) means that abortion and infanticide is OK are not really interested in proving that babies in the womb or right after have consciousness or anything like that,
                            It is physically impossible for fetuses in the womb to have “consciousness” during their first trimester, which is when the vast majority of abortions are performed, because their EEG activity indicates that the necessary regular wave patterns are not present. Fetal brain activity does not begin to exhibit regular wave patterns until around week 25.

So, given this, what is your argument against abortion at this stage of development?

they just want an excuse to kill the baby and not feel guilty. They plan on killing it either way, but if they can tell themselves that "oh well it doesn't think like me so it is not a person" then they can feel a little less guilty.
                            Of course!!! Everyone wants an excuse to kill “their baby” and not feel guilty, how dare you spoil their fun.
                            “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                              Indeed! Where you were going was self-righteously condemning those faced with the difficult decision of whether or not to have an abortion, as is the woman’s right under certain defined conditions.
                              No I wasn't but since you mention it. If the fetus is not a person why is is a difficult decision? If I have a tumor removed, I wouldn't call that a difficult decision. Are you admitting that the fetus is a person after all and that is why it is a difficult decision?

It is physically impossible for fetuses in the womb to have “consciousness” during their first trimester, which is when the vast majority of abortions are performed, because their EEG activity indicates that the necessary regular wave patterns are not present. Fetal brain activity does not begin to exhibit regular wave patterns until around week 25.

So, given this, what is your argument against abortion at this stage of development?
                              It is a human being. The woman's very own offspring.

Of course!!! Everyone wants an excuse to kill “their baby” and not feel guilty, how dare you spoil their fun.
                              Again, why do they feel guilty if it is not a person?

Comment

Eh, go ahead and invoke it any time you want. It's a stupid made up internet "law" anyways. Why shouldn't people compare modern evils to the most atrocious ever known in recent Western history?
                                Well, for starters, that would be liberals, not Hitler.
                                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment