Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Christian Evangelism isn't a Political Party

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Thinker View Post
    Abortion or birth control could have dramatically prevented that problem.
    I've a friend who has tried for the longest time to adopt an adorable little girl from a very broken home.
    Because she works with the family she knows the home situation very well and she knows the truth of what is happening.

The mother just pumped out her 9th child (5 different fathers) and swore in court that she didn't know who is the father.
    She knows, but if she tells the court he'll be forced to pay child support and he doesn't work - since the father is 'unknown' the state picks up the bill.
    The father will probably pump out another 5 kids with the woman and the court will continue to play stupid.

So before we move onto murdering people how about we start holding people accountable for the babies they make?
    Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
      Without watching the video I feel sorry for that woman. The sexual revolution destroyed her. She's almost certainly incapable of self control (no matter how many contorted empowerment messages feminists give her) and stands no chance in this world. IMO liberals would be several degrees more respectable if they just advocated for sterilizing the chronically poor like taoist does.
      Here is how the conversation goes:

"I think we should teach this woman some morals"
      "Racist!"

"Uh, okay... well how about forcing her to use birth control?"
      "Racist!"

"Pay her to be sterilized?"
      "Racist!"

"Okay, how about we keep sending her checks to pump out another 10 doomed babies?"
      "Welcome to enlightenment."
      Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
        Is there anything, in your opinion, that can be said to be self-evident?
        I exist.
        I'm not here anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
          There is still no reason given to suspect that infants (including newborn) are not self aware.
          There's no reason to expect they are, either. We can use the mirror test (though it has flaws) as a rough estimate of self-recognition, though.
          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
            There's no reason to expect they are, either. We can use the mirror test (though it has flaws) as a rough estimate of self-recognition, though.
            A baby cries when it is hungry.
            That is self aware.

Comment

• Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
              So before we move onto murdering people how about we start holding people accountable for the babies they make?
              I agree. I just don't know how to do that effectively. That's one slippery slope that I'm pretty leery of.
              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

A baby cries when it is hungry.
                That is self aware.
                Or scared or hurt or lonely or wanting attention or...

This definition of self-aware means that literally any animal (or insect!) that can make a noise would be classified as self-aware.
                I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Or scared or hurt or lonely or wanting attention or...
                  The child isn't making a random noise.
                  The child has detected a personal need and is communicating that need to others.

The fact you used the word 'lonely' and the phrase 'wanting attention' torpedoes your argument.

Comment

I agree. I just don't know how to do that effectively. That's one slippery slope that I'm pretty leery of.
                    I'm with you there.
                    Any attempt to do the right thing would challenge entire empires built upon the backs of the poor.
                    You'd be met with the most vicious of opposition.

This is why liberalism can destroy a country with impunity - because any attempt at fighting it will ruin your life.

Comment

The child isn't making a random noise.
                      The child has detected a personal need and is communicating that need to others.

The fact you used the word 'lonely' and the phrase 'wanting attention' torpedoes your argument.
                      Not really. There's a single method of communication available; one that's hard-wired into the system for all mammals. A newborn/infant doesn't have to know what the problem is for the method to be triggered, anymore than a fire alarm system has to know what's on fire.

Even if I granted your reasoning, you still have to deal with the fact that this isn't limited to humans. It's not sufficient to consider abortion murder anymore than it's sufficient to consider killing any animal murder. Every line drawn is arbitrary.
                      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

I'm with you there.
                        Any attempt to do the right thing would challenge entire empires built upon the backs of the poor.
                        You'd be met with the most vicious of opposition.

This is why liberalism can destroy a country with impunity - because any attempt at fighting it will ruin your life.
                        That's not what worries me. Who defines 'good enough' when it comes to parenting? Who gives them the power to define it? There's no win condition here.
                        I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Not really. There's a single method of communication available; one that's hard-wired into the system for all mammals. A newborn/infant doesn't have to know what the problem is for the method to be triggered, anymore than a fire alarm system has to know what's on fire.

Even if I granted your reasoning, you still have to deal with the fact that this isn't limited to humans. It's not sufficient to consider abortion murder anymore than it's sufficient to consider killing any animal murder. Every line drawn is arbitrary.
                          I don't see where I have anything with which to deal.
                          I don't use self-awareness as the factor that determines what is and what is not a murder.

Animals being self-aware is a moot point.

Comment

That's not what worries me. Who defines 'good enough' when it comes to parenting? Who gives them the power to define it? There's no win condition here.
                            1: The state already does this through Child Protective Services.
                            2: I think pumping out 15 kids when you don't have a job is a pretty obvious red flag.

Again, I'm okay with this continuing - a system that behaves in this way simply cannot last.
                            Nature will correct itself.

Comment

1: The state already does this through Child Protective Services.
                              2: I think pumping out 15 kids when you don't have a job is a pretty obvious red flag.

Again, I'm okay with this continuing - a system that behaves in this way simply cannot last.
                              Nature will correct itself.
                              Not true. Much of africa behaves this way because the west keeps feeding it. Nature usually solves this problem with hard population bottle necks created by mass starvation.
                              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

mandatory IUDs if you have kids you can't afford to upkeep yourself would be a good start.
                                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment