Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Christian Evangelism isn't a Political Party

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    Your definition of "liberal values" seems to be synonymous with "all things bad".
    He can be taught!

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    In fact Liberalism is a worldview founded on ideas of liberty and equality.
    No, it isn't based on this at all.
    Take the video of the woman who has 15 kids - she isn't expected to curb herself in any way nor is she expected to be a responsible adult because in the liberal mind she is inferior.
    The only way you can hold me responsible for my mating habits and not her is if you believe that we are fundamentally not equal; and furthermore, you advocate stealing my stuff because you hold that you're morally superior - intelligent enough to see the 'big picture' that all the stupid (read: not equal) people miss. The liberal world view from start to finish is based in superiority, theft, and racism - it has nothing to do with equality.
    Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

• Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
      He can be taught!

No, it isn't based on this at all.
      Take the video of the woman who has 15 kids - she isn't expected to curb herself in any way nor is she expected to be a responsible adult because in the liberal mind she is inferior.
      The only way you can hold me responsible for my mating habits and not her is if you believe that we are fundamentally not equal; and furthermore, you advocate stealing my stuff because you hold that you're morally superior - intelligent enough to see the 'big picture' that all the stupid (read: not equal) people miss. The liberal world view from start to finish is based in superiority, theft, and racism - it has nothing to do with equality.
      About the racist charge, don't liberals also advocate for poor whites? Haven't politics in places like West Virginia leaned typically Democrat?

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
        So the followup question, of course, is why is that not arbitrary? Why does "I exist" get a pass, and is not "one of the easiest spotted red flags for any belief...tantamount to saying there's no actual basis?" You could be, as Starlight seems to think, a computer simulation of some sort, or perhaps, a figment of some other/higher being's imagination.
        Because Descartes' work is unassailable on this point. No matter what I actually am, to be anything I must exist in some form or another. It's unequivocally impossible to ask "what am I" if I don't exist to ask the question. Maybe I'm a simulation or figment, but that's still a form of existence.

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
        A very solipsist perspective. You realize, of course, that solipsism isn't a particularly widely held view, yes? Course I guess that wouldn't much matter to a solipsist.
        If you actually read on it, most philosophers end up with some trick to get past solipsism. Most of those tricks are fairly ad hoc in my opinion. Solipsism is such a nuisance because 1) it gets you nowhere, and 2) there's no way to prove it wrong. Strict solipsism would require believing that only my mind exists, which I don't hold. So...whatever. "Widely held view" is just a step above argumentum ad populum. Not a strong objection by any stretch.
        I'm not here anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
          I feel kind of dumb.
          I don't even know what this means.
          You weren't really meant to. I skipped all the parts in between because this isn't the philosophy forum.
          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
            Anyone who has raised or been around babies knows that each one has it's own personality from the beginning. The fact that it takes a while for them to learn how to really communicate does not show evidence that they are not self aware.
            Sure, but personality doesn't equate to self-awareness, either. My point is that you can't show they are self-aware any more than you can show they aren't. It's not a solid basis.

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
            And I do, indeed, see a level of self awareness in higher animals.
            So do I.
            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Durn, there goes the Declaration of Independence and the U.S. of A.

I hope the Brits will take us back.
              Meh. The declaration isn't voided by disagreeing with the opening statement. It's an establishment of belief, which is what "self-evident" means anyway. "Self-evident" is best understood as "I take this as axiomatic". Read that way, the DoI isn't affected one bit. There's only an issue when people equate "axiomatic" with "unassailable". The latter is how it's too often used (and how it was being used when I took exception to it).
              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                About the racist charge, don't liberals also advocate for poor whites? Haven't politics in places like West Virginia leaned typically Democrat?
                Yeah, I'd change it from racist to socioeconomic-status-ist.
                I'm not here anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                  Meh. The declaration isn't voided by disagreeing with the opening statement. It's an establishment of belief, which is what "self-evident" means anyway. "Self-evident" is best understood as "I take this as axiomatic". Read that way, the DoI isn't affected one bit. There's only an issue when people equate "axiomatic" with "unassailable". The latter is how it's too often used (and how it was being used when I took exception to it).
                  It is self-evident that you don't know what you are talking about so I don't have to listen to you. Good DAY, Sir!

Comment

It is self-evident that you don't know what you are talking about so I don't have to listen to you. Good DAY, Sir!

I never said you had to listen to me.
                    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                      I never said you had to listen to me.
                      Did you say something?

Comment

• Is it getting solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
                        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Did you say something?
                          Yes, you did.
                          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                            Is it getting solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
                            There is no one but you.
                            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• In my opinion, there are only two worldviews that are consistent with all the evidence given to one: solipsism, or theism.

To a consistent solipsist, I can offer no rational argument to help them. Only prayers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                                And we were all tribal, as were our gods, until relatively recently in history when we expanded the concept to apply to all people in our global village.
                                It makes no sense to say you "expanded the concept" when universalism is the exact opposite of tribalism. It is more accurate to say that you abandoned the concept and replaced it with hatred of in-groups and love of out-groups (IE: serial treason). It would be pure suicide for anyone to seriously adopt your worldview. It only produces good fruit when, as gerbil says, it's weaponized against someone else and you yourself do not practice it.
                                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment