Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Is it legal because the government says so?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    No the "ACTUAL point", which you've missed, is that 'swearing' in US Law does not have to be on a bible...which undercuts your argument that the US is a Christian nation, with all that implies.
    I never said it HAD to be on a bible, nor did I say the USA was a Christian Nation. You have this really bad habit of assuming your opponents argument instead of listening to what they are actually saying. I am saying that there is nothing in the first amendment that stops religion from influencing or being a part of the federal government. The fact that president can swear in on a bible and put God as their utmost authority under which they operate proves that point. The fact that nearly every President has done so underlines that point.

ALL citizens, from the president down, are entitled to swear on the text appropriate to their religion or beliefs, whatever that may be. And for atheists they are entitled to swear and affirm, on their own cognisance. All of which is appropriate in a secular state like the US, where there's a "wall of separation between Church And State". .
    if there is a wall between church and state then the leader of the government would not be allowed to swear an oath of office to his religion. derp.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      I never said it HAD to be on a bible, nor did I say the USA was a Christian Nation.
      You said in #61 “there are NO laws or anything in the constitution that prevents religion in the government. The wall is one way. Heck, the President gets sworn in on a bible!” But, he doesn’t always, nor is he obliged to swear on a bible, because the US is a secular nation without an established religion. And the wall of separation between Church and State prevents laws being implemented just because they are Christian, as it would prevent laws being implemented because they are Muslim or based upon ANY religion.

if there is a wall between church and state then the leader of the government would not be allowed to swear an oath of office to his religion.
      He’s free to swear on the Bible or Koran or the Egyptian Book of the Dead if he so chooses, because the Establishment Clause allows free exercise of religion. But it does not allow for the recognition of any religion as having priority over any other religion...or over the non-religious, because there's NO established religion in the USA.
      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

You said in #61 “there are NO laws or anything in the constitution that prevents religion in the government. The wall is one way. Heck, the President gets sworn in on a bible!” But, he doesn’t always, nor is he obliged to swear on a bible, because the US is a secular nation without an established religion. And the wall of separation between Church and State prevents laws being implemented just because they are Christian, as it would prevent laws being implemented because they are Muslim or based upon ANY religion.

He’s free to swear on the Bible or Koran or the Egyptian Book of the Dead if he so chooses, because the Establishment Clause allows free exercise of religion. But it does not allow for the recognition of any religion as having priority over any other religion...or over the non-religious, because there's NO established religion in the USA.
        I get it. This is your "nanananana I can't hear you" response. You will just keep ignoring my point and substituting your own straw man.

200_s.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          I get it. This is your "nanananana I can't hear you" response. You will just keep ignoring my point and substituting your own straw man.
          You have no point. The First Amendment does not allow the establishment of religion in the US and nor does it regard the existing majority religion in the US as the de facto established religion. Hence Jefferson's "Wall of Separation between Church and State".
          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

You have no point. The First Amendment does not allow the establishment of religion in the US and nor does it regard the existing majority religion in the US as the de facto established religion. Hence Jefferson's "Wall of Separation between Church and State".
            rinse. repeat.

There is no wall. And it isn't even the STATE. It is "CONGRESS"

all it says is that CONGRESS shall make no laws establishing a religion or preventing the free exercise of religion (and freedom of the press and speech)

Is there a wall between Free Speech and State? Is the government not allowed to have free speech? It is in the same amendment and sentence.

I eagerly (not) await your next repeat.

Comment