Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

An Instance of Voter Fraud in Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Instance of Voter Fraud in Texas

Source: http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-texas-woman-%e2%80%98voted-like-a-us-citizen%e2%80%99-only-she-wasn%e2%80%99t/ar-BBylpiO?li=BBnb7Kz

When Rosa Maria Ortega was a teenager, her mother was deported to her native Mexico after being arrested twice.

As she grew up, Ms. Ortega decided to take a different route. Lacking a high school diploma, she signed up for the Job Corps at age 18 and snagged a position at a state employment office.

In 2012, she registered to vote, and not only cast ballots in the next two elections but served as a poll worker. Divorced, she raised four children, now teenagers, sometimes working three jobs.

“When my mom was here, she did everything illegal,” Ms. Ortega, 37, said in an interview. “I wasn’t going to let that happen to me.”

She may not have a choice. Ms. Ortega, of Grand Prairie, Tex., a suburb between Dallas and Fort Worth, is a permanent resident with a green card, but she is not an American citizen. In a case that made national headlines last month, she was found guilty, fined $5,000 and sentenced to eight years in prison because the ballots she cast in 2012 and 2014 were illegal. While green-card holders have many of the rights of citizens, they cannot vote.

If the verdict is upheld, she will serve her sentence and, in all likelihood, be deported to Mexico. For green-card holders, a criminal conviction is effectively a ticket for deportation.

Her punishment may be unprecedented for an offense that often draws a minimal sentence or probation. Ms. Ortega, who has a seventh-grade education and a sometimes shaky grasp on the complexities of her life, has steadfastly insisted that she did not know she was violating the law — that she is being imprisoned and probably deported for the crime of being confused.

“I thought I was doing something right,” Ms. Ortega said. “It wasn’t to hurt somebody, or the state, or the government. I even worked for the government.

“I voted like a U.S. citizen,” she said. “The only thing is, I didn’t know I couldn’t vote.”

© Copyright Original Source

That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Poor thing. To have done such a mistake in this world at this time. Wonder why she never tried to become a citizen if she had a green card.
    "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
    Hear my cry, hear my shout,
    Save me, save me"

Comment

I feel sorry for her. In her case I don't think she was trying to do something illegal or sneaky. Just ignorant.

I am against deliberate voter fraud.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        I feel sorry for her. In her case I don't think she was trying to do something illegal or sneaky. Just ignorant.

I am against deliberate voter fraud.
        Agreed. I suppose they'll make an example out of her because open and shut cases of voter fraud are a bit on the rare side, afaik. I can't say they're wrong though because it's obviously the wrong thing to let slide. I wonder if she'll get leniency? It seems like being the kind of person who will work three jobs to support her kids is the kind of person we want in the States.
        Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
          Agreed. I suppose they'll make an example out of her because open and shut cases of voter fraud are a bit on the rare side, afaik. I can't say they're wrong though because it's obviously the wrong thing to let slide. I wonder if she'll get leniency? It seems like being the kind of person who will work three jobs to support her kids is the kind of person we want in the States.
          she is even a LEGAL immigrant with a green card. I hope they give her leniency, a suspended sentence and no deportation.

If they actually checked your citizenship when you registered to vote, this would have been avoided. It is an argument for stricter checks and ID's for voter registration, not only to prevent deliberate fraud, but ignorance too.

Comment

she is even a LEGAL immigrant with a green card. I hope they give her leniency, a suspended sentence and no deportation.

If they actually checked your citizenship when you registered to vote, this would have been avoided. It is an argument for stricter checks and ID's for voter registration, not only to prevent deliberate fraud, but ignorance too.
            Yeah, that's a grim irony here.
            Save me, save me"

Comment

hmmm reading the rest of the article in the OP, it is not so innocent sounding after all.

She first registered to vote in Dallas and checked the box that asked if she was a US citizen.

Then she moved and registered again, this time checking the noncitizen box.

When her registration was rejected, she called elections officials, telling them that she had voted in Dallas. Told that people who checked the noncitizen box were ineligible to vote, she reapplied, this time indicating that she was a citizen. An elections worker who remembered her earlier comment about voting in Dallas became suspicious, and forwarded the application to the authorities.

so she did know what she was doing, and deliberately lied. The first time in Dallas, although that could be an error, but then at her new home she was TOLD that she could not vote if she was not a citizen and then tried to re-register and lied and said she was a citizen. That shows intent to commit fraud. Which would be why they decided to go after her for her earlier voting.

Comment

hmmm reading the rest of the article in the OP, it is not so innocent sounding after all.

She first registered to vote in Dallas and checked the box that asked if she was a US citizen.

Then she moved and registered again, this time checking the noncitizen box.

When her registration was rejected, she called elections officials, telling them that she had voted in Dallas. Told that people who checked the noncitizen box were ineligible to vote, she reapplied, this time indicating that she was a citizen. An elections worker who remembered her earlier comment about voting in Dallas became suspicious, and forwarded the application to the authorities.

so she did know what she was doing, and deliberately lied. The first time in Dallas, although that could be an error, but then at her new home she was TOLD that she could not vote if she was not a citizen and then tried to re-register and lied and said she was a citizen. That shows intent to commit fraud. Which would be why they decided to go after her for her earlier voting.
                Hmm. So we should read the article in the op before jumping to conclusions? I'll have to try that. She sounds like an idiot then.
                Save me, save me"

Comment

I found the part where they said "Her punishment may be unprecedented for an offense that often draws a minimal sentence or probation" yet they go on to say that it isn't common...
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                  - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                    I found the part where they said "Her punishment may be unprecedented for an offense that often draws a minimal sentence or probation" yet they go on to say that it isn't common...
                    It's a definitely a weird sentence, evidence of the loosening of editorial standards in the transition to ephemeral news that is written, consumed, and forgotten the same day.
                    Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
                      It's a definitely a weird sentence, evidence of the loosening of editorial standards in the transition to ephemeral news that is written, consumed, and forgotten the same day.
                      Yeah in the day of the blog, even mainstream news articles have become horrible. They are often full of typos, awkward statements and nonsense. I think the job of editor must have gone away somewhere down the line. The reporters just blog their articles from their phones with no oversight at all.

Comment

Yeah in the day of the blog, even mainstream news articles have become horrible. They are often full of typos, awkward statements and nonsense. I think the job of editor must have gone away somewhere down the line. The reporters just blog their articles from their phones with no oversight at all.
                        A target audience used to reading tweets and texts isn't all that likely to notice.
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          A target audience used to reading tweets and texts isn't all that likely to notice.
                          Yeah and they pretty much lose interest by the second paragraph, tl;dr. Most news stories online are just about displaying ads for CPM cash. Most of the news sites I go to now try to get me to turn off my ad blocker. They don't care about news, just how sensational and controversial they can make the story. That is the real reason why there are so many fake news sites and why even the MSM is publishing fake news.

Comment

Originally posted by sparko View Post
                            yeah and they pretty much lose interest by the second paragraph, tl;dr. Most news stories online are just about displaying ads for cpm cash. Most of the news sites i go to now try to get me to turn off my ad blocker. They don't care about news, just how sensational and controversial they can make the story. That is the real reason why there are so many fake news sites and why even the msm is publishing fake news.
                            tl;dr
                            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                              tl;dr
                              I got to the t then got bored.

Comment