Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Stay at home moms should be outlawed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
    Can you translate that gibberish into English for me?
    The assumption and expectation is that women are caregivers and men are not. Smart people know that's not a universal case, but it's still how our (and apparently Australian) society approaches it. What we end up with is this struggle for women to either work or be stay-at-home moms. Somehow it's ok for dads to be parents and workers but not ok for moms. It's a double standard. It has ramifications with how we treat each other, but it also affects the economy as a whole to have a large percentage of its workforce potentially drop out indefinitely.

The translation? Make it so that dealing with a kid isn't foisted onto one partner or the other. Make it so everyone has to deal with being a parent and working. Then maybe people will be motivated enough to change the workplace structure.
    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Or let people make decisions about their own lives without the government telling them what they should do instead.
      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
        The assumption and expectation is that women are caregivers and men are not. Smart people know that's not a universal case, but it's still how our (and apparently Australian) society approaches it. What we end up with is this struggle for women to either work or be stay-at-home moms. Somehow it's ok for dads to be parents and workers but not ok for moms. It's a double standard. It has ramifications with how we treat each other, but it also affects the economy as a whole to have a large percentage of its workforce potentially drop out indefinitely.

The translation? Make it so that dealing with a kid isn't foisted onto one partner or the other. Make it so everyone has to deal with being a parent and working. Then maybe people will be motivated enough to change the workplace structure.
        Both parents working IS pretty much the norm today. But making it mandatory seems a bit drastic. Unless the whole thing is just tongue-in-cheek. I couldn't really tell. But if someone is seriously thinking that both parents working should be mandatory then they are wacky. It is a decision that should be left up to the couple. If they decide that the mom (or the dad) should be stay-at-home and take care of the kids, then that is their business.

Comment

The children are legally the responsibility of both parents. If society, influenced by the individual choices of couples, seems to place that responsibility on the mother it is only an appearance resulting from the past individual choices of parents. And as Sparko pointed out, "Both parents working IS pretty much the norm today."
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            Both parents working IS pretty much the norm today. But making it mandatory seems a bit drastic. Unless the whole thing is just tongue-in-cheek. I couldn't really tell. But if someone is seriously thinking that both parents working should be mandatory then they are wacky. It is a decision that should be left up to the couple. If they decide that the mom (or the dad) should be stay-at-home and take care of the kids, then that is their business.
            Oh I quite agree, on all counts.

ETA:
            I think the author generally agrees, too, fwiw. I just think she's trying to change business practices to accommodate that.
            Last edited by Carrikature; 03-24-2017, 01:43 PM.
            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
              The children are legally the responsibility of both parents. If society, influenced by the individual choices of couples, seems to place that responsibility on the mother it is only an appearance resulting from the past individual choices of parents. And as Sparko pointed out, "Both parents working IS pretty much the norm today."
              Eh, I'd say that society and individual choices influence each other. The societal norm has traditionally been moms staying at home.
              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Oh I quite agree, on all counts.

ETA:
                I think the author generally agrees, too, fwiw. I just think she's trying to change business practices to accommodate that.
                I want to be a stay-at-home childless "parent"! I think the government should pay me a subsidy to stay home and take care of my non-children.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  I want to be a stay-at-home childless "parent"! I think the government should pay me a subsidy to stay home and take care of my non-children.
                  Is that like paying farmers to not plant their fields? I could get behind that, but that ship has sailed.
                  I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Eh, I'd say that society and individual choices influence each other. The societal norm has traditionally been moms staying at home.
                    Yes, and that norm is primarily the product of biological differences. When people are talking about forcibly changing their norms, they are essentially talking about horrific oppressive measures, usually coached in honey but with horrific real world results (many of which we are about to run into headfirst).
                    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment