Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Paige Patterson encourages Calvinists to leave Southern Baptist Convention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paige Patterson encourages Calvinists to leave Southern Baptist Convention

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/jesuscr...=socialnetwork

The other speaker at the chapel used a particularly bad argument; guilt by association because some Calvinists smoke and drink.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Odd, since Baptists seem to be more Calvinists than not IIRC.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      Odd, since Baptists seem to be more Calvinists than not IIRC.
      I'd bet almost anything your average churchgoer has no idea what Calvinism is.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

In my experience, most Baptists aren't intellectual enough to fully embrace Calvinism, or to fully adopt (or create) any competing system. But there is a lot of Calvinist influence in the Southern Baptist Convention. Also, it's sad that they focus more on their man-made rules against drinking than they do on their formation of theology.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          In that case, I'm not sure I've ever encountered an "average churchgoer."
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

They can't become Presbyterians because they were fated to be Baptists. They have no choice.

Comment

As an outsider, I may not fully understand all of the theological nuances involved, but perhaps her position could be summarized as, 'Of course God loves everyone, even Calvinists, but not enough to let them have an occasional glass of wine.'
              βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
              ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                I'd take that bet!

(only if I wanted to lose bigly)
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
                  In my experience, most Baptists aren't intellectual enough....
                  wow
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    wow
                    Obsidian gonna Obsidian.

Comment

Calvinists are OK with dancing, as long as it's around the burning stakes of our Baptist brethren .
                      The last Christian left at tweb

Comment

Originally posted by Trout View Post
                        Calvinists are OK with dancing, as long as it's around the burning stakes of our Baptist brethren .
                        You had me until the "brethren" bit.

sigpic

Comment

Vessels of destruction?
                          The last Christian left at tweb

Comment

Wasn't Calvinism invented by Calvin Klein to sell more jeans? That's what CNN told me and you can trust CNN for unfake news.

Comment

because he was sexist and didn't include our cistern?

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X