Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Shaking the earth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaking the earth

Isaiah 13:13
    Therefore I will shake the heavens, and the earth shall remove out of her place, in the wrath of the LORD of hosts, and in the day of his fierce anger.

Is it saying that God will shake the heavens, which will lead to the shaking of the earth as a consequence? Or is it just saying that he will shake both heaven and earth independently?

I think its an allegory.
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

It is certainly not independent actions of the heavens and of the earth. Contrary to the earliest Greek translation of this verse, which has two passive verbs, in the Hebrew emphasis is placed on God himself shaking the heavens. It may be implied that the earth trembles as a result, but I would not over-emphasize this in a purely mechanistic way for the earth also shakes, grammatically as the subject of a verb in the active, not passive, voice. The earth can act on its own, either of its own accord or frequently in response to the Lord's actions and anger. See, for example, Isaiah 5,25 where the mountains quake when the Lord smites the people. See also 2 Samuel 22,8; Psalms 18,8 77,19; Jeremiah 51,29.
      βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
      ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

I think its an allegory.
        A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
          Isaiah 13:13
          Therefore I will shake the heavens, and the earth shall remove out of her place, in the wrath of the LORD of hosts, and in the day of his fierce anger.

Is it saying that God will shake the heavens, which will lead to the shaking of the earth as a consequence? Or is it just saying that he will shake both heaven and earth independently?

Two more references come to mind.

Isaiah 24:20,
          . . . The earth shall reel to and fro like a drunkard, and shall be removed like a cottage; and the transgression thereof shall be heavy upon it; and it shall fall, and not rise again. . . .

Revelation 16:18,
          . . . And there were voices, and thunders, and lightnings; and there was a great earthquake, such as was not since men were upon the earth, so mighty an earthquake, and so great. . . .

And I think they refer to that one yet future event (Isaiah 13:10; Isaiah 24:23; Revelation 6:12; Matthew 24:29-31).
          . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818
            Two more references come to mind.
            . . . .
            And I think they refer to that one yet future event (Isaiah 13:10; Isaiah 24:23; Revelation 6:12; Matthew 24:29-31).
            Regardless of what those verses are talking about, Isaiah 13 seems to be talking about when the Persians overthrew Babylon.

Isaiah 13:17-18
            Behold, I will stir up the Medes against them,
            which shall not regard silver;
            and as for gold, they shall not delight in it.
            Their bows also shall dash the young men to pieces;
            and they shall have no pity on the fruit of the womb;
            their eye shall not spare children.

Originally posted by Robrecht
            in the Hebrew emphasis is placed on God himself shaking the heavens. It may be implied that the earth trembles as a result, but I would not over-emphasize this in a purely mechanistic way for the earth also shakes, grammatically as the subject of a verb in the active, not passive, voice.
            Most of the English translations seem to imply that the earth shakes as a result of the heavens shaking. I just wanted to be sure. My theory is that the heavens shaking refers to some sort of punishment inflicted against the demonic rulers, which causes their earthly puppet-states that worshipped them to fall as a result.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X