Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Info suggests Trump associates may have coordinated with Russians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
    No, I am discussing this single report from CNN, which, as I mentioned, has not been repeated as confirmed or as fact by other news agencies, but rather was initially 'questioned' by NBC News, which explicitly noted that no other news agency had yet confirmed CNN's reporting, and quoted their own FBI sources as saying that CNN's reporting was exaggerated.
    right because this is the first time this topic has come up, ever, eh?

Your nitpicking pedantry is getting old. Whenever you are called out on something you immediately start nitpicking until you think you can get away with it. Like you are starting to do here. We were talking about the general idea of using anonymous sources to hide behind for fake news. You mentioned Trump's tweet and Gerbil corrected it on you. All of a sudden you were only discussing this single report from CNN. yeesh.

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
      Shunyadragon,
      I'm going to guess that this thread isn't getting more replies because CNN isn't really a news source.
      See if you can find a source that hasn't already been widely discredited.

-Meh Gerbil
      Every major news source is reporting this.
      Blog: Atheism and the City

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by The Thinker View Post
        Yeah they do that nowadays, they repeat each other's stories, and link to each other. You can usually trace it all back to one source story and as of late, that source story is usually nothing but rumors. Like this time.

Feel free to link to stories that name actual sources that prove that Trump has ties to Russians who were fixing the election.

Comment

pretty much every major news source has been widely discredited and they're all just regurgitating CNN's vomit.
          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            Yeah they do that nowadays, they repeat each other's stories, and link to each other. You can usually trace it all back to one source story and as of late, that source story is usually nothing but rumors. Like this time.

Feel free to link to stories that name actual sources that prove that Trump has ties to Russians who were fixing the election.
            Maybe we should check Snopes? BwahahahahahBwahahahahahBwahahahahahBwahahahahahBw ahahahahah
            The last Christian left at tweb

Comment

examples:

CBS: http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...with-russians/
              Mediaite: http://www.mediaite.com/online/cnn-f...with-russians/
              The Blaze: http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/03...with-russians/
              Vox: http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politi...-investigation

Those were just the first google results that popped up. There were several pages of them. all printing the same story.

no sources.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                pretty much every major news source has been widely discredited and they're all just regurgitating CNN's vomit.
                Really? They have? Where's your proof of this?

Is your logic: CNN/NBC/WaPo/NYT reported something that turned out to be false, therefore everything they ever say is discredited.

?

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

examples:

CBS: http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...with-russians/
                  Mediaite: http://www.mediaite.com/online/cnn-f...with-russians/
                  The Blaze: http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/03...with-russians/
                  Vox: http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politi...-investigation

Those were just the first google results that popped up. There were several pages of them. all printing the same story.

no sources.
                  In an ongoing investigation of this kind you don't release sources. Let's let the facts come out and see what happens.
                  Last edited by The Thinker; 03-23-2017, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Really? They have? Where's your proof of this?

Is your logic: CNN/NBC/WaPo/NYT reported something that turned out to be false, therefore everything they ever say is discredited.

?
                    More like they knowingly report lies and manipulate the truth to benefit their corporate masters' interests (and I include Fox News on that list).
                    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

In an ongoing investigation of this kind you don't release sources. Let's let the facts come out and see what happens.
                      So basically you are dropping the whole " all of the major news sources are reporting this" because it is highly unlikely they all have the same unnamed sources but nobody will release their names.

Comment

It's not just that they have no sources, they are explicitly quoting CNN's report. Like I said, regurgitated vomit.

Comment

NYT, Fox, CNN et al reported fake news on WMDs in Iraq. That should be a clue.
                          The last Christian left at tweb

Comment

If CNN doesn't have a source then they shouldn't be reporting any of this as news.
                            So yeah, I'm with you, how about these guys shut up until such time as they've evidence?
                            Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

right because this is the first time this topic has come up, ever, eh?

Your nitpicking pedantry is getting old. Whenever you are called out on something you immediately start nitpicking until you think you can get away with it. Like you are starting to do here. We were talking about the general idea of using anonymous sources to hide behind for fake news. You mentioned Trump's tweet and Gerbil corrected it on you. All of a sudden you were only discussing this single report from CNN. yeesh.
                              Geez, Louise. I completely agreed with the gerbil's point about Trump’s tweet being immediately and extensively questioned (rightly so in my opinion), thus did not even imagine he was 'calling me out' or correcting me about that or anything else. I was merely trying to make my point clearer.

My earlier point, to you, was that anonymous sources are not really so unique to CNN, and CNN's extensive use of anonymous sources is only being discussed here because of their use of anonymous sources in this specific story at the beginning of this thread. I really was only talking about this specific story and subsequently comparing it with Trump's lack of any sourcing or evidence whatsoever in his Tweet.

I frequently do try to stick to very specific points of discussion, because I dislike and generally try to avoid partisan generalizations about how terrible the other side is without any acknowledgement of comparable weaknesses of one's own side. Maybe by sticking to specific points, we have a better chance of coming to some limited agreement or insight on some items under discussion. Maybe not. Probably not, I guess. But that is my intent here. If you only see this as intolerable nitpicking and pedantry, please just put me on ignore. Life's too short to waste any time on unpleasant exchanges if you don't see any value in them.
                              βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                              ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                                [cite=http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/22/politics/us-officials-info-suggests-trump-associates-may-have-coordinated-with-russians/]

US officials: Info suggests Trump associates may have coordinated with Russians

Washington (CNN)The FBI has information that indicates associates of President Donald Trump communicated with suspected Russian operatives to possibly coordinate the release of information damaging to Hillary Clinton's campaign, US officials told CNN.
                                It seems highly possible that that this story may not actually suggest that much.

Comment