Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Info suggests Trump associates may have coordinated with Russians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At what point did quoting people who know nothing become a legitimate source?
    Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
      Shunyadragon,
      I'm going to guess that this thread isn't getting more replies because CNN isn't really a news source.
      See if you can find a source that hasn't already been widely discredited.-Meh Gerbil
      As opposed to Alt-Right Breitbart and the media wing of the Trump fascists, i.e. Fox, you mean.
      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Trout View Post
        NYT, Fox, CNN et al reported fake news on WMDs in Iraq. That should be a clue.
        There's no "clue" at all. The media merely reported what was said by Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld. You can't blame the media for quoting them...that's it job.
        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
          There's no "clue" at all. The media merely reported what was said by Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld. You can't blame the media for quoting them...that's it job.
          The US mainstream media should have been more critical of what the administration was saying and implying in the run-up to the 2003 Iraq war. If I recall correctly, I think the NYT subsequently admitted that they had failed their readers in this regard at the time. Around this time I became aware of and started to gain respect for Joe Scarborough, a former Republican congressman, who had a fledgling nightly show on MSNBC. Despite his well earned reputation for being very conservative (ACU lifetime 94%) and a constant critic of Clinton, he and Pat Buchanen (his regular, almost nightly guest), who was even more conservative, became very vocal in their criticism of what the Bush administration and the way they had approached the run-up to the war and their early execution of it. I look for such honesty in media, people who are not so doctrinaire in their ideological and partisan views that they will be genuinely critical of their own 'side'. Unfortunately, it is rather rare. So much of the media 'news' programming in the US is just paid surrogates for both political parties. Typically, they will have representatives from both sides in an attempt to be, or at least appear to be, fair and impartial, but really good investigative journalism is hard to find these days. David Gergen is a straight-shooter on CNN, but he must be getting pretty old now. I hardly watch CNN any more because of all their surrogates.
          Last edited by robrecht; 03-24-2017, 04:46 AM.
          βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
          ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
            The US mainstream media should have been more critical of what the administration was saying and implying in the run-up to the 2003 Iraq war. If I recall correctly, I think the NYT subsequently admitted that they had failed their readers in this regard at the time. Around this time I became aware of and started to gain respect for Joe Scarborough, a former Republican congressman, who had a fledgling nightly show on MSNBC. Despite his well earned reputation for being very conservative (ACU lifetime 94%) and a constant critic of Clinton, he and Pat Buchanen (his regular, almost nightly guest), who was even more conservative, became very vocal in their criticism of what the Bush administration and the way they had approached the run-up to the war and their early execution of it. I look for such honesty in media, people who are not so doctrinaire in their ideological and partisan views that they will be genuinely critical of their own 'side'. Unfortunately, it is rather rare. So much of the media 'news' programming in the US is just paid surrogates for both political parties. Typically, they will have representatives from both sides in an attempt to be, or at least appear to be, fair and impartial, but really good investigative journalism is hard to find these days. David Gergen is a straight-shooter on CNN, but he must be getting pretty old now. I hardly watch CNN any more because of all their surrogates.
            I agree actually. Gone are the glory days of investigative journalism as per Woodward and Bernstein in the old days. Nevertheless, merely reporting what’s presented doesn’t constitute “fake news” in and of itself. At least CNN has discussion panels which include the likes of Carl Bernstein and David Gergen, both of whom are "straight shooters" as you say. .

Comment

I agree actually. ...
              You sound surprised!

Gone are the glory days of investigative journalism as per Woodward and Bernstein in the old days. Nevertheless, merely reporting what’s presented doesn’t constitute “fake news” in and of itself. At least CNN has discussion panels which include the likes of Carl Bernstein and David Gergen, both of whom are "straight shooters" as you say. .
              I have a vague impression that Bernstein may have protected his credibility better than Woodward's 'access journalism', but I just can't say much about the various commentators on CNN because I don't watch it hardly at all 'cause I can't stand the panel format with the paid surrogates from both sides. It's easier to look for the occasional surprise concession on Fox or MSNBC.

Comment

Originally posted by The Thinker View Post
                In an ongoing investigation of this kind you don't release sources. Let's let the facts come out and see what happens.
                How are you to know what's a fact then, if you can't name your sources and you fill your articles with "could" and "might have"?
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  Nunes blew the door wide open on that one.
                  Not sure what you mean: Are you saying that Nunes has now effectively provided sources to confirm as fact Trump's tweeted allegations about Obama improperly orchestrating surveillance of Trump and his campaign? Do you think Nunes exercised good judgment in briefing the press and the president before even discussing his information with even the ranking Democratic member of the House intelligence committee, let alone the rest of the committee investigating the issue? I heard that he apologized to them for that and he admitted he does not know yet if Trump himself had been under surveillance, but rather needs to wait until he sees the documents he's requested from the NSA, CIA, and FBI. Doesn't that harm Nunes' credibility as head of the House intelligence committee and their investigation, which is already a little shaky since he himself was a member of the transition? Scarborough said today he's completely destroyed his reputation as impartial, especially since part of his motivation was because the president was taking a lot of heat in the media. I think Scarborough may have overemphasized that part of Nunes' stated motivation. Maybe Nunes' was only trying to remind Hannity about the fact that this issue has indeed being discussed a lot in the press. Do you think we now need a Select committee, as McCain is now saying?

Comment

At what point did quoting people who know nothing become a legitimate source?
                    That's how the news business has always operated. The idealistic picture of a world weary reporter doggedly pursuing the truth and refusing to go to press until his information is solid is the stuff of Hollywood movies. The only thing news organizations care about is 1) "Does this promote our agenda?"; and 2) "Will it get us sued?" If the answers are yes and no respectively then they run with it. Whether or not the story is true isn't even a consideration.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

As opposed to Alt-Right Breitbart and the media wing of the Trump fascists, i.e. Fox, you mean.
                      I put all of them in the same dumpster.
                      PRO TIP: Save the partisan material for a partisan.
                      Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

I put all of them in the same dumpster.
                        PRO TIP: Save the partisan material for a partisan.
                        Is there any material that's not partisan? The trick is to sort the spin from the facts and perhaps avoid the more grossly partisan sources such as Breitbart altogether.

Comment

Is there any material that's not partisan? The trick is to sort the spin from the facts and perhaps avoid the more grossly partisan sources such as Breitbart altogether.
                          Do you know of a news source that isn't grossly partisan?

Comment

Your exaggerating. I will actually go with BBC, and the back up is anybody but Bartfart (Breitbart)
                            Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                            Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Many of the MSM outlets attempt to be impartial. The BBC is govt funded and operates under Royal Charter stipulating it remain independent and above party politics. Australia's ABC and SBS have similar. But most of the news outlets seem to make an attempt at impartiality. CNN goes overboard in this regard by providing a platform for every kook who has an opinion. The least impartial are those like Fox and Breitbart, which promote an ideological agenda.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                                Your exaggerating. I will actually go with BBC, and the back up is anybody but Bartfart (Breitbart)
                                Thanks for clarifying Breitbart there for me, Shunya.

Comment