Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Info suggests Trump associates may have coordinated with Russians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info suggests Trump associates may have coordinated with Russians

[cite=http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/22/politics/us-officials-info-suggests-trump-associates-may-have-coordinated-with-russians/]

US officials: Info suggests Trump associates may have coordinated with Russians

Washington (CNN)The FBI has information that indicates associates of President Donald Trump communicated with suspected Russian operatives to possibly coordinate the release of information damaging to Hillary Clinton's campaign, US officials told CNN.

This is partly what FBI Director James Comey was referring to when he made a bombshell announcement Monday before Congress that the FBI is investigating the Trump campaign's ties to Russia, according to one source.
    The FBI is now reviewing that information, which includes human intelligence, travel, business and phone records and accounts of in-person meetings, according to those U.S. officials. The information is raising the suspicions of FBI counterintelligence investigators that the coordination may have taken place, though officials cautioned that the information was not conclusive and that the investigation is ongoing.
    In his statement on Monday Comey said the FBI began looking into possible coordination between Trump campaign associates and suspected Russian operatives because the bureau had gathered "a credible allegation of wrongdoing or reasonable basis to believe an American may be acting as an agent of a foreign power."
    The White House did not comment and the FBI declined to comment. Dmitry Peskov, a Kremlin spokesman, said Thursday the Russian government would not comment on information from unnamed sources.
    "This is another piece of information without any sources which can't be commented on, neither can it be taken as some serious thing," Peskov told reporters in response to a question about CNN's reporting.
    White House press secretary Sean Spicer maintained Monday after Comey's testimony that there was no evidence to suggest any collusion took place.
    "Investigating it and having proof of it are two different things," Spicer said.
    One law enforcement official said the information in hand suggests "people connected to the campaign were in contact and it appeared they were giving the thumbs up to release information when it was ready." But other U.S. officials who spoke to CNN say it's premature to draw that inference from the information gathered so far since it's largely circumstantial.
    The FBI cannot yet prove that collusion took place, but the information suggesting collusion is now a large focus of the investigation, the officials said.

The FBI has already been investigating four former Trump campaign associates -- Michael Flynn, Paul Manafort, Roger Stone and Carter Page -- for contacts with Russians known to US intelligence. All four have denied improper contacts and CNN has not confirmed any of them are the subjects of the information the FBI is reviewing.

One of the obstacles the sources say the FBI now faces in finding conclusive intelligence is that communications between Trump's associates and Russians have ceased in recent months given the public focus on Russia's alleged ties to the Trump campaign. Some Russian officials have also changed their methods of communications, making monitoring more difficult, the officials said.

Last July, Russian intelligence agencies began orchestrating the release of hacked emails stolen in a breach of the Democratic National Committee and associated organizations, as well as email accounts belonging to Clinton campaign officials, according to U.S. intelligence agencies.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Shunyadragon,
    I'm going to guess that this thread isn't getting more replies because CNN isn't really a news source.
    See if you can find a source that hasn't already been widely discredited.

-Meh Gerbil
    Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

NBC News said last night that no other news services were able to confirm this story at that time. Their own sources with the FBI considered this story to be exaggerated. That's not definitive, of course, but obviously sources and reporters have their own interpretative perspectives that may add bias to their reporting.
      βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
      ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Possibilities of circumstantial evidence. Vague story is vague.
        Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

It's all anonymous sources again. This seems to be CNN's modus operandi. They don't even try to pretend that they are not peddling fake news anymore. Just write whatever you want and say "Official US Sources revealed..."

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
            US officials: Info suggests Trump associates may have coordinated with Russians[/SIZE][/B]

Washington (CNN)The FBI has information that indicates associates of President Donald Trump communicated with suspected Russian operatives to possibly coordinate the release of information damaging to Hillary Clinton's campaign, US officials told CNN.

This is partly what FBI Director James Comey was referring to when he made a bombshell announcement Monday before Congress that the FBI is investigating the Trump campaign's ties to Russia, according to one source.
            The FBI is now reviewing that information, which includes human intelligence, travel, business and phone records and accounts of in-person meetings, according to those U.S. officials. The information is raising the suspicions of FBI counterintelligence investigators that the coordination may have taken place, though officials cautioned that the information was not conclusive and that the investigation is ongoing.
            In his statement on Monday Comey said the FBI began looking into possible coordination between Trump campaign associates and suspected Russian operatives because the bureau had gathered "a credible allegation of wrongdoing or reasonable basis to believe an American may be acting as an agent of a foreign power."
            The White House did not comment and the FBI declined to comment. Dmitry Peskov, a Kremlin spokesman, said Thursday the Russian government would not comment on information from unnamed sources.
            "This is another piece of information without any sources which can't be commented on, neither can it be taken as some serious thing," Peskov told reporters in response to a question about CNN's reporting.
            White House press secretary Sean Spicer maintained Monday after Comey's testimony that there was no evidence to suggest any collusion took place.
            "Investigating it and having proof of it are two different things," Spicer said.
            One law enforcement official said the information in hand suggests "people connected to the campaign were in contact and it appeared they were giving the thumbs up to release information when it was ready." But other U.S. officials who spoke to CNN say it's premature to draw that inference from the information gathered so far since it's largely circumstantial.
            The FBI cannot yet prove that collusion took place, but the information suggesting collusion is now a large focus of the investigation, the officials said.
            See bolded. Everything is said by anonymous sources. The only people actually quoted in the article are those that say they won't comment and that the CNN information is from anonymous sources.

FAKE NEWS.

Comment

It's just a deflection from the wiretapping fiasco. Pants down again... blame Russians.
              That's what
              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

This is an initial report that the problem of possible unethical and possibly illegal financial and other relations that may have occurred. We will follow the story and see what develops.

I believe Flynn accepted speaking fees, and travel expenses to Russia to speak for a group affiliated with Russian Intelligence.
                Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

This is an initial report that the problem of possible unethical and possibly illegal financial and other relations that may have occurred. We will follow the story and see what develops.

I believe Flynn accepted speaking fees, and travel expenses to Russia to speak for a group affiliated with Russian Intelligence.
                  Everyone in Russia is affiliated with Russian Intelligence in some way.
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                  - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

then it is not news at all because they have been saying that since before the election.

Comment

How about you don't start any more threads on this topic until such time as you have actual evidence?
                      Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        It's all anonymous sources again. This seems to be CNN's modus operandi. They don't even try to pretend that they are not peddling fake news anymore. Just write whatever you want and say "Official US Sources revealed..."
                        To be fair, unnamed sources are common to all news media. Also, if I recall correctly, President Trump has not yet provided any named or unnamed sources or evidence for his Tweet claiming that President Obama ordered surveillance of him or his campaign.

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                          To be fair, unnamed sources are common to all news media. Also, if I recall correctly, President Trump has not yet provided any named or unnamed sources or evidence for his Tweet claiming that President Obama ordered surveillance of him or his campaign.
                          Nunes blew the door wide open on that one.
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                            Trump's tweet was immediately called into question and rebutted; however, the Russian tie goes on, and on, and on.... with hundreds of news outlets reporting it as fact.
                            See the difference?

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
                              Trump's tweet was immediately called into question and rebutted; however, the Russian tie goes on, and on, and on.... with hundreds of news outlets reporting it as fact.
                              See the difference?
                              No, I am discussing this single report from CNN, which, as I mentioned, has not been repeated as confirmed or as fact by other news agencies, but rather was initially 'questioned' by NBC News, which explicitly noted that no other news agency had yet confirmed CNN's reporting, and quoted their own FBI sources as saying that CNN's reporting was exaggerated.

Comment