Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trumpcare???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trumpcare???

I'm not sure he really ever intended to replace/repeal the current ACA Law. He was fairly specific that if they didn't vote, the current law would stay.
    Which proves many people's current theory, He has no idea what he's doing, he just wanted the fame.
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
    I'm not sure he really ever intended to replace/repeal the current ACA Law. He was fairly specific that if they didn't vote, the current law would stay.
    Which proves many people's current theory, He has no idea what he's doing, he just wanted the fame.
    Oh stop! It does him no good to have this bill fail, and they did have a bill.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
      what is he supposed to know? He isn't a lawyer. He promised to git rid of Obama care and replace it with something better. I am sure he wasn't planning on doing either by himself. I think his biggest mistake was promising to do it right after he was elected. They need to take their time, come up with a good plan, and then vote on it. In the meantime they could repeal parts of the ACA, like fining people for not having insurance, and forcing small businesses with more than 50 employees to provide healthcare.

But Trump isn't a lawyer or a politician, he expects those who work for him to do the job he tells them to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        what is he supposed to know? He isn't a lawyer. He promised to git rid of Obama care and replace it with something better. I am sure he wasn't planning on doing either by himself. I think his biggest mistake was promising to do it right after he was elected. They need to take their time, come up with a good plan, and then vote on it. In the meantime they could repeal parts of the ACA, like fining people for not having insurance, and forcing small businesses with more than 50 employees to provide healthcare.

But Trump isn't a lawyer or a politician, he expects those who work for him to do the job he tells them to do.
        The left was accusing him of being a dictator and fascist - if that was the case he could just snap his fingers and get it passed!
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

I think his biggest mistake was in making such a ridiculous campaign promise in the first place:
          “I’m going to ask Congress to put a bill on my desk getting rid of this disastrous law and replacing it with reforms that expand choice, freedom, affordability. You’re going to have such great health care at a tiny fraction of the cost. And it’s going to be so easy.”

Donald Trump
          October 25, 2016

Either he is incredibly ignorant about health care and the political process or he was being dishonest.
          βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
          ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
            I think his biggest mistake was in making such a ridiculous campaign promise in the first place:
            “I’m going to ask Congress to put a bill on my desk getting rid of this disastrous law and replacing it with reforms that expand choice, freedom, affordability. You’re going to have such great health care at a tiny fraction of the cost. And it’s going to be so easy.”

Donald Trump
            October 25, 2016

Either he is incredibly ignorant about health care and the political process or he was being dishonest.
            Or it was political rhetoric. I mean didn't Obama say that his election would cause the seas to roll back?

...generations from now, we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment when we began to provide care for the sick and good jobs to the jobless; this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal; this was the moment when we ended a war and secured our nation and restored our image as the last, best hope on Earth.

Obama's Nomination Victory Speech In St. Paul June 3, 2008

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post

Donald Trump
              October 25, 2016

I think he was naive.

But you know what? He is the first president in a long time who has actually jumped right in and started doing his best to actually KEEP his campaign promises. Even if he fails on this one, at least he has tried. Most politicians would have just found some reason to ignore it. So no, I dont think he was being dishonest. I think he overpromised.

Comment

I think he was naive.

But you know what? He is the first president in a long time who has actually jumped right in and started doing his best to actually KEEP his campaign promises. Even if he fails on this one, at least he has tried. Most politicians would have just found some reason to ignore it. So no, I dont think he was being dishonest. I think he overpromised.
                I think Obama also did that at the beginning of his first term. Trump is now our fourth president in a row to begin his term as president with absolutely zero or almost no national political experience so naive is a pretty good descriptor for all of them. Obama relied a lot on Biden and too much on Pelosi, W on Cheney, not sure about Clinton since I was not around, but it seems like he foundered until he found Gergen.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                  Or it was political rhetoric. I mean didn't Obama say that his election would cause the seas to roll back?
                  With Obama, in an emotional victory speech on the night of winning the nomination, it was definitely over-the-top rhetoric. Unlike Trump, he had rhetorical flair, way too much flair and not enough experience. I remember cringing when I heard those words. He was trying to inspire people, and he certainly did inspire a lot of people. This was not just a hollow promise, 'though it certainly was that, but he was rhetorically appealing to his audience to work together with him on a difficult and challenging long road ahead. Note the unquoted beginning of the sentence and what precedes that:
                  "The journey will be difficult. The road will be long. I face this challenge with profound humility, and knowledge of my own limitations. But I also face it with limitless faith in the capacity of the American people. Because if we are willing to work for it, and fight for it, and believe in it, then I am absolutely certain that generations from now ..."

Comment

The left was accusing him of being a dictator and fascist - if that was the case he could just snap his fingers and get it passed!
                    Part of the problem here, is that he expects to snap his fingers and get everything passed. But other politicians refuse to just "bow" and do his bidding. When he was in business he could snap his fingers and do what ever he wanted. Not so with Politics. The three branches do not just simply bow to the Executive Branch of government, they are accountable to one another, and I'm not sure that's something Trump was up to speed on. Or he just missed basic Economics, Legal, and Political classes in High School and College
                    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

In what world does "rise of the oceans begin to slow" equal "seas roll back"?
                      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                        They are equally false...

Comment

They are equally false...
                          Not really. If you're cutting down on warming so that ice caps aren't melting as fast, that's slowing the rise. It's not anywhere close to dropping temperatures enough to get them to start freezing more.
                          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

They are equally false, equally based in fantasy...

Comment

Not really. If you're cutting down on warming so that ice caps aren't melting as fast, that's slowing the rise. It's not anywhere close to dropping temperatures enough to get them to start freezing more.
                              The point is it was political rhetoric, like ending all war. When Trump does it he is being dishonest, when Obama does it, it's OK...

Comment