Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Federal Judge upholds travel ban

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal Judge upholds travel ban

A federal judge in Virginia ruled in favor of President Trump’s executive order on travel restrictions and refugees on Friday, a decision that rebukes previous rulings in Maryland and Hawaii that blocked the executive order.

Judge Anthony Trenga of Virginia ruled the President was well within his legal right to impose the travel restrictions on those individuals he deems dangerous to enter the United States, and that the new guidelines did not constitute a ban on Muslims or any other religion.

Judge Trenga, a George W. Bush appointee, wrote that “The President has unqualified authority to bar physical entry to the United States at the border,” and that the executive order has a ‘state secular purpose’ of preventing future terrorist attacks inside the United States.

The statement goes on, "The President has provided a detailed justification for the Order based on national security needs, and enjoining the operation of [executive order] would interfere with the President’s unique constitutional responsibilities to conduct international relations, provide for the national defense, and secure the nation."

http://www.hannity.com/articles/elec...s-in-15678396/

Of course, the decision will be made in higher courts, especially when there are conflicting rulings in lower federal courts.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

The conflict is what makes it more likely that the Supreme Court will weigh in.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        The conflict is what makes it more likely that the Supreme Court will weigh in.
        As Alan Dershowitz (who while opposing the travel restrictions has said they are constitutional) has noted, considering their temporariness it might already be a moot issue before it ever comes before the SCOTUS.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          As Alan Dershowitz (who while opposing the travel restrictions has said they are constitutional) has noted, considering their temporariness it might already be a moot issue before it ever comes before the SCOTUS.
          Is their temporariness set from the date of the signature or the date they go into effect?
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            Is their temporariness set from the date of the signature or the date they go into effect?
            From what I gather the temporariness is based on the "putting in place better vetting procedures" which was expected to take X months (I think it was 3 months). Work on those improving vetting procedures should be halted by the legal arguments over the ban, so by the time the court decides, I would expect the ban to be irrelevant.
            Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
            1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
            -Ben Witherington III

Comment

I can't see how there's any choice but to uphold the travel ban since the first judge essentially said, "It's a legal order, but I think the President acted with incorrect intent, so I'm ruling against it," which is a really stupid decision.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment