Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

YEC argues FOR dark matter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YEC argues FOR dark matter

I was pleasantly surprised to see that leading YEC astronomer Danny Faulkner is arguing FOR the existence of dark matter.

https://answersingenesis.org/astrono...r-dark-matter/

As Faulkner says in his conclusion:
    Source: Danny Faulkner

There is strong observational evidence for dark matter. Yet, many biblical creationists remain skeptical of it. This skepticism appears to be based upon a misunderstanding of the reasons for belief in dark matter. Contrary to popular misconception, dark matter is not a rescuing device for the big bang model. It is true that dark matter is used to manipulate the big bang model, but that merely is because there is good evidence that dark matter exists and that the big bang suffers from problems that need fixes. The big bang was the dominant cosmogony for years before dark matter came to be accepted, so it is clear that the big bang model is not nearly as dependent upon dark matter than many creationists seem to think.

© Copyright Original Source

Last edited by Kbertsche; 03-29-2017, 02:42 PM. Reason: Add quote
    "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." – Albert Einstein

I have no belief one way or another. But I am waiting to see if someone equates non-physical, non-detectable, non-observable "matter" with a spirit world. I mean when you think about it, it does sound pretty spooky. What if our "soul" is dark matter. ooooo-weeeee-oooooo!

Comment

I'm not sure i get this. Galaxies wouldn't fly apart on YEC time scales, so dark matter seems unnecessary. Beyond that, dark matter is mostly used to explain gravitational interactions that lead to galaxy formation and interactions, neither of which the YECs think happen, since everything was created as it now is. So it seems to me like it would be an irrelevancy to a YEC.
      "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by Kbertsche View Post
        I was pleasantly surprised to see that leading YEC astronomer Danny Faulkner is arguing FOR the existence of dark matter.

There is strong observational evidence for dark matter. Yet, many biblical creationists remain skeptical of it. This skepticism appears to be based upon a misunderstanding of the reasons for belief in dark matter. Contrary to popular misconception, dark matter is not a rescuing device for the big bang model. It is true that dark matter is used to manipulate the big bang model, but that merely is because there is good evidence that dark matter exists and that the big bang suffers from problems that need fixes. The big bang was the dominant cosmogony for years before dark matter came to be accepted, so it is clear that the big bang model is not nearly as dependent upon dark matter than many creationists seem to think.

His reasons for why other YEC's reject it is quite revealing. The issue is not evaluated based on evidence for or against, but rather whether or not it helps or hurts the big bang theory.

Jim
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Dark matter explanation has everything to do with how to explain why galaxies rotate the way they do.
          . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

I see that Jorge isn't the only one who uses the "Biblical creationist" misnomer.
            "When the Western world accepted Christianity, Caesar conquered; and the received text of Western theology was edited by his lawyers…. The brief Galilean vision of humility flickered throughout the ages, uncertainly…. But the deeper idolatry, of the fashioning of God in the image of the Egyptian, Persian, and Roman imperial rulers, was retained. The Church gave unto God the attributes which belonged exclusively to Caesar."

— Alfred North Whitehead

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
              Dark matter explanation has everything to do with how to explain why galaxies rotate the way they do.
              And?
              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Kbertsche View Post

It is unfortunate you are pleasantly surprised, unless is sarcasm at it's extreme.
                Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                  And?
                  400px--Galaxy_rotation_under_the_influence_of_dark_matter.ogv.jpg
                  On the left is the expected rotation curve. On the right is the observed rotation curve, for the reason which dark matter is used as an explanation.
                  . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21625[/ATTACH]
                    On the left is the expected rotation curve. On the right is the observed rotation curve, for the reason which dark matter is used as an explanation.
                    I understand that, but how does this relate? What is the point of your post? Am I just dense here?
                    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                      I understand that, but how does this relate? What is the point of your post? Am I just dense here?
                      If you're dense, i'm dense too. No idea how a statement about the basics of dark matter fit with the larger point.

Comment

OK! So what?!?!
                        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

I think his point may be that dark matter isn't just needed in regard to the flying apart and formation of galaxies, it is also relevant to their rotation.

The first two items may not be relevant to YECs, but the last one may be.
                          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                            I think his point may be that dark matter isn't just needed in regard to the flying apart and formation of galaxies, it is also relevant to their rotation.
                            The rotation of galaxies is them flying apart. Based on the visible mass, stars moving at the speed they're moving (as indicated by those rotation curves) can't stay gravitationally bound to the galaxy, so they'll just fly on out into intergalactic space. Dark matter is what holds them in place.

Comment

I am really curious as to the significance of your question. The fact that dark matter is used to explain what is clearly happening does not in any way alter my belief in God, nor my faith in Jesus Christ.

Comment