Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Stand Your Ground????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stand Your Ground????

Good, bad? Justified, not justified?

Three teen burglary suspects were shot and killed Monday by a homeowner's son armed with an assault rifle in Oklahoma -- which has a "stand your ground" law -- and the alleged getaway driver in the case was arrested on felony murder and other charges, authorities said.

Authorities said they had not determined if the shooter, who was armed with an AR-15, would face charges. Oklahoma law presumes homeowners have a fear that justifies use of defensive force just by virtue of someone breaking into a home.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/killing-3-...opstories.html
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Originally posted by seer View Post
    And some of the burglars were white!!
    Blog: Atheism and the City

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

Justified
      Someone breaking into your home puts you in danger so you have a right to defend yourself

You don't have time to determine if they plan to kill you or not

Comment

One had a knife and the other had brass knuckles, so apparently they came prepared to use potentially deadly force on anyone who might've been home.

I'd say it was more than justified.

Comment

... he had an assault rifle? Why did he have an assault rifle? Did he lose his bazooka?

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
            ... he had an assault rifle? Why did he have an assault rifle? Did he lose his bazooka?
            Because it's the US and that's what people do here, particularly in the South (though Oklahoma only marginally counts).
            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Eh, I'm not sure about justified. Stand your ground laws are a good thing, but there doesn't seem to be much discernment in how they're applied. I'm totally against the felony murder stuff, though. I think it's beyond ridiculous.
              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by The Thinker View Post
                And some of the burglars were white!!
                So what is your point?
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by CMD View Post
                  One had a knife and the other had brass knuckles, so apparently they came prepared to use potentially deadly force on anyone who might've been home.

I'd say it was more than justified.
                  I don't know, I'd like to think I would have shot them in the legs, or hips. Just enough to stop them.

Comment

I don't know, I'd like to think I would have shot them in the legs, or hips. Just enough to stop them.
                    Shooting someone in the legs or hips is not guaranteed to stop them and is not even that particularly "safe"; gun shots, even to non-critical organs, can easily be lethal, though not as quick as a shot to the heart (which, if successful, is guaranteed to stop them). Not only that, by aiming away from the chest, you increase the chance you won't hit them anywhere. That's a big part of why people aim for the heart; if you don't hit the target, you're much more likely to hit some part of their body.

If you're not shooting to kill, you shouldn't be shooting at someone at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                      Shooting someone in the legs or hips is not guaranteed to stop them and is not even that particularly "safe"; gun shots, even to non-critical organs, can easily be lethal, though not as quick as a shot to the heart (which, if successful, is guaranteed to stop them). Not only that, by aiming away from the chest, you increase the chance you won't hit them anywhere. That's a big part of why people aim for the heart; if you don't hit the target, you're much more likely to hit some part of their body.

If you're not shooting to kill, you shouldn't be shooting at someone at all.
                      Right, if you're not willing to shoot to potentially kill, probably best not to even have a gun...buy a pepper spray paint ball gun instead. I sat on the jury of a manslaughter case years ago. The defendant had shot the guy in the leg with a shotgun. It blew out his femoral artery. He was DOA. The medical examiner said that if he had been shot in the hospital parking lot there was no guarantee he would have made it.
                      "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Totally justified.
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Totally justified. That area is very well known for Meth heads who have no regard for peoples lives or health and zero regard for their property rights. I saw the news cast on TV, it's in an isolated area and a 911 call would have probably taken more than 30 minutes if he was lucky.
                          "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
                            Typical ignorance based reporting on the part of the media. His AR-15 was not an assault rifle. An assault rifle has the option of going full automatic which an AR-15 cannot do. It is the civilian version of the M-16 which is an assault rifle.

ETA: NBC, somewhat surprisingly, got it right: "A 23-year-old Oklahoma man used a semi-automatic AR-15 rifle to shoot and kill three masked teenage intruders dressed in black who broke into his home Monday afternoon — an act authorities are investigating as self-defense." Not an assault rifle.
                            Last edited by rogue06; 03-29-2017, 06:30 PM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                              Eh, I'm not sure about justified. Stand your ground laws are a good thing, but there doesn't seem to be much discernment in how they're applied. I'm totally against the felony murder stuff, though. I think it's beyond ridiculous.
                              What is wrong with the felony murder stuff? He was involved in a crime that resulted in people being killed. The law says anyone involved is guilty.
                              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment