Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Discovery of a really cool dinosaur trackway in Australia announced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discovery of a really cool dinosaur trackway in Australia announced

A team of Australian scientists from Queensland University and James Cook University are reporting on a remarkably diverse collection of well preserved dinosaur tracks in the Broome Sandstone at 48 separate sites centered on Walmadany (James Price Point) in the Yanijarri–Lurujarri section of the Dampier Peninsula, in the Kimberley region of Western Australia.

Located along the beaches many of the tracks are only visible at low tide with the sites themselves being spread over more than 200 km of coastline north of Broome. They are dated at being between 127 and 140 myo (Early Cretaceous) and of the 150 tracks that could so far be identified they were made by over 21 different types of dinosaurs.

According to the research team eleven of these track types can formally be assigned or compared to existing or new ichnotaxa, whereas the remaining ten represent morphotypes that, although distinct, are currently too poorly represented to be positively assigned to existing or new ichnotaxa.

The researchers say that at the time the area where the tracks were laid down was near a braided river and its delta.

The lead researcher, Steve Salisbury of Queensland University's School of Biological Science, stated that "There are about six different types of tracks for meat-eating dinosaurs; about the same number for sauropod dinosaurs; about four different types of ornithopod dinosaur tracks - so, two-legged plant-eaters - and really exciting, I think, are six types of armored dinosaur tracks, including stegosaurs, which we've never seen before in Australia."

I should note that the armored dinosaurs, which are known as Thyreophora, are actually a subgroup of the ornithischian dinosaurs so technically speaking ten distinct type of ornithopod track makers have been identified.

Among the tracks is the largest dinosaur footprint known to science being slightly over 175 cm long (about 5'9" long) which dwarfs the 106 cm one discovered in the Gobi Desert that was made by a Titanosaur between 70 to 90 mya (Late Cretaceous).

Dr. Salisbury said the indigenous people had long referred to the markings in their oral history -- likely for thousands of years. They form part of a song cycle relating to a creation mythology, and specifically the tracks show the journey of a creation being called "Marala" known as the Emu man who was regarded as a lawgiver. "Wherever he went he left behind three-toed tracks that now we recognize as the tracks of meat-eating dinosaurs" (typically those assigned to Megalosauropus broomensis).

Further Reading:

The Dinosaurian Ichnofauna of the Lower Cretaceous (Valanginian–Barremian) Broome Sandstone of the Walmadany Area (James Price Point), Dampier Peninsula, Western Australia Full Paper

Largest-Known Dinosaur Footprint Discovered in Western Australia includes 3½ minute video

Kimberley fossil tracks are Australia's 'Jurassic Park'

World's largest dinosaur footprint found in 'Australia's Jurassic Park'

Scientists Uncover Giant Dino Tracks in 'Australia's Jurassic Park'

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

But Australia is a myth.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      But Australia is a myth.
      I was wondering if you were gonna post that

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

there was no caption about the man in the picture who had been crushed by the dinosaur and left lying there.

Were there any theories on how the tracks were formed and left intact?

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
          there was no caption about the man in the picture who had been crushed by the dinosaur and left lying there.

Were there any theories on how the tracks were formed and left intact?
          Basically the tracks were in wet flood plain sediment, and than covered by more flood sediment. It is a very common way track ways are preserved.
          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Sometimes I like to think about how our planet was once ruled by giant birds.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
            "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
            Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Originally posted by thewriteranon View Post
              hqdefault.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                A team of Australian scientists from Queensland University and James Cook University are reporting on a remarkably diverse collection of well preserved dinosaur tracks in the Broome Sandstone at 48 separate sites centered on Walmadany (James Price Point) in the Yanijarri–Lurujarri section of the Dampier Peninsula, in the Kimberley region of Western Australia.

Located along the beaches many of the tracks are only visible at low tide with the sites themselves being spread over more than 200 km of coastline north of Broome. They are dated at being between 127 and 140 myo (Early Cretaceous) and of the 150 tracks that could so far be identified they were made by over 21 different types of dinosaurs.

According to the research team eleven of these track types can formally be assigned or compared to existing or new ichnotaxa, whereas the remaining ten represent morphotypes that, although distinct, are currently too poorly represented to be positively assigned to existing or new ichnotaxa.

The researchers say that at the time the area where the tracks were laid down was near a braided river and its delta.

The lead researcher, Steve Salisbury of Queensland University's School of Biological Science, stated that "There are about six different types of tracks for meat-eating dinosaurs; about the same number for sauropod dinosaurs; about four different types of ornithopod dinosaur tracks - so, two-legged plant-eaters - and really exciting, I think, are six types of armored dinosaur tracks, including stegosaurs, which we've never seen before in Australia."

I should note that the armored dinosaurs, which are known as Thyreophora, are actually a subgroup of the ornithischian dinosaurs so technically speaking ten distinct type of ornithopod track makers have been identified.

Among the tracks is the largest dinosaur footprint known to science being slightly over 175 cm long (about 5'9" long) which dwarfs the 106 cm one discovered in the Gobi Desert that was made by a Titanosaur between 70 to 90 mya (Late Cretaceous).

Dr. Salisbury said the indigenous people had long referred to the markings in their oral history -- likely for thousands of years. They form part of a song cycle relating to a creation mythology, and specifically the tracks show the journey of a creation being called "Marala" known as the Emu man who was regarded as a lawgiver. "Wherever he went he left behind three-toed tracks that now we recognize as the tracks of meat-eating dinosaurs" (typically those assigned to Megalosauropus broomensis).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21621[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]21622[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]21623[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]21624[/ATTACH]

Further Reading:

The Dinosaurian Ichnofauna of the Lower Cretaceous (Valanginian–Barremian) Broome Sandstone of the Walmadany Area (James Price Point), Dampier Peninsula, Western Australia Full Paper

Largest-Known Dinosaur Footprint Discovered in Western Australia includes 3½ minute video

Kimberley fossil tracks are Australia's 'Jurassic Park'

World's largest dinosaur footprint found in 'Australia's Jurassic Park'

Scientists Uncover Giant Dino Tracks in 'Australia's Jurassic Park'
                Just hard to imagine such a huge creature even being able to walk ...

Jim
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Only a specific lineage of dinosaurs (dromaeosaurid theropods) evolved into birds. However, not long after the mass extinction at the end of the Cretaceous a Family (taxonomic ranking) of birds, the Phorusrhacids (sometimes referred to as "Terror Birds") became apex predators. These were flightless carnivorous birds the largest of which were roughly 10' tall

Source: Largest "Terror Bird" Fossil Found in Argentina

The new, currently unnamed species stood about ten feet (three meters) tall and had a head as big as that of a horse.

The largest terror birds could likely swallow dog-size prey in a single gulp, experts say.

The bird's most striking feature—literally—was its giant nose, a roughly 18-inch (46-centimeter) beak with a sharp, curving hook shaped like an eagle's beak.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

IIRC, the species was later named Kelenken guillermoi (Brontornis burmeisteri, from the same general area was not much shorter but was more robust or stocky). The largest one in North America was Titanis walleri, which was between 8 and 9' tall.

A good article on "Terror Birds" by the BBC: The reign of the terror birds.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]21659[/ATTACH]
                    36811b61de11a16143e04bdc3eb87c6f.jpg

Comment

At the risk of being pedantic, doesn't the date range and the presence of stegosaur tracks suggest a more precise labeling of "late Jurassic to very early Cretaceous"?
                      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                        At the risk of being pedantic, doesn't the date range and the presence of stegosaur tracks suggest a more precise labeling of "late Jurassic to very early Cretaceous"?

The trackway was dated as being Early Cretaceous (between 127 and 140 myo) since that is the age of the sandstone that the prints are in.

Comment