Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Religious Indoctrination?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Religious Indoctrination?

Get out the prayer rugs kiddies.

There is absolutely no balance in the curricula offered. Only Islam is given a full course of study
    http://christianaction.org/news/2017...t-of-education
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

I have no problem as long as they give equal attention to other religions including Christianity

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      I have no problem as long as they give equal attention to other religions including Christianity
      Do you really want the government teaching Christian doctrine?
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        That is the point of the article - they don't.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
          Do you really want the government teaching Christian doctrine?
          I don't want the government teaching anything, but if they're going to allow Muslims to proselytize in the classroom then at least give Christians an equal say.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            I don't want the government teaching anything, but if they're going to allow Muslims to proselytize in the classroom then at least give Christians an equal say.
            ...and Jews. And Hindus. And Buddhists. And Humanists. And Asatruar. And Wiccans. And Satanists. And Scientologists. And Raelians. Et cetera, et cetera...
            "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
            --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
              ...and Jews. And Hindus. And Buddhists. And Humanists. And Asatruar. And Wiccans. And Satanists. And Scientologists. And Raelians. Et cetera, et cetera...
              It's quite the can of worms, isn't it?
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

How about just a course in Comparative Religions.

Comment

It's quite the can of worms, isn't it?
                  Ironically, a great many people point out precisely the same thing every time a politician wants to place a Ten Commandments monument or erect a giant cross or otherwise promote Christianity through government office. It's funny to see that the problem is more widely recognized when classed in terms of Islam rather than Christianity.
                  "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                    I thought you guys were OK with religion in public schools?
                    Blog: Atheism and the City

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

Ironically, a great many people point out precisely the same thing every time a politician wants to place a Ten Commandments monument or erect a giant cross or otherwise promote Christianity through government office. It's funny to see that the problem is more widely recognized when classed in terms of Islam rather than Christianity.
                      Except Christianity is historically linked to the founding of the nation from the Pilgrims to present day. Even today 74% believe that Jesus is the Son of God. No other religion has that historical weight. http://www.rasmussenreports.com/publ...was_son_of_god

Comment

Originally posted by The Thinker View Post
                        I thought you guys were OK with religion in public schools?
                        Only my religion.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                          Except Christianity is historically linked to the founding of the nation from the Pilgrims to present day. Even today 74% believe that Jesus is the Son of God. No other religion has that historical weight. http://www.rasmussenreports.com/publ...was_son_of_god
                          All of which is entirely irrelevant. The Establishment Clause doesn't make exceptions for religions which are historically relevant or beliefs which are popular.

Comment

All of which is entirely irrelevant. The Establishment Clause doesn't make exceptions for religions which are historically relevant or beliefs which are popular.
                            The Establishment Clause never had anything to do with religion in school until the liberal courts decided it did in the 1960s. I'm old enough to remember prayer and scripture reading in public school.

Comment

My main concern is that the government will simply pervert Christian teaching even further than liberals (and society in general) already has. Their teaching Liberal Jesus is worse than teaching nothing at all.
                              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment