Faith
    Christian (Unorthodox)
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Red face Repentance:

Quote Originally Posted by thewriteranon View Post
    There is no book of Revelations
    Okay ~ I admit that I was wrong.

You caught me in this and I openly confess my error.

I hereby repent and make amends.

The correct spelling is without an "s" on the end as = Revelation.

Please forgive me for my failing?

Faith
    Christian (Unorthodox)
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Angry Reply:

Quote Originally Posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
    The following verses, and their surrounding context destroy your claims. There are a few things we can learn about "hell" in these passages, 1) it's eternal, 2) the devil and his angels will be there, 3) those there will never have rest, day or night, and 4) it's better to be mutilated bodily than to end up there.

Matthew 18:8 “If your hand or your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it from you; it is better for you to enter life crippled or lame, than to have two hands or two feet and be cast into the eternal fire.

Matthew 25:41 “Then He will also say to those on His left, ‘Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels;

Jude 1:7 just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the cities around them, since they in the same way as these indulged in gross immorality and went after strange flesh, are exhibited as an example in undergoing the punishment of eternal fire.

Matthew 5:29 If your right eye makes you stumble, tear it out and throw it from you; for it is better for you to lose one of the parts of your body, than for your whole body to be thrown into hell.

Matthew 10:28 Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 23:33 You serpents, you brood of vipers, how will you escape the sentence of hell?

2 Peter 2:3-5New American Standard Bible (NASB)

3 and in their greed they will exploit you with false words; their judgment from long ago is not idle, and their destruction is not asleep.

4 For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but cast them into hell and committed them to pits of darkness, reserved for judgment; 5 and did not spare the ancient world, but preserved Noah, a [a]preacher of righteousness, with seven others, when He brought a flood upon the world of the ungodly;

Revelation 14:11 And the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever; they have no rest day and night, those who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name.”

There is much more that could be said, but these things alone are enough to refute what you've claimed so far.
    All of those are misguided and misinterpretations.

The old Greek word for Hell was Hades from the old Greek religion, and Hades was the God of the underworld.

The Gospel is written in the old Greek language yes, but Jesus did not preach the Greek religion.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Story time! There once was a chowder of stray and feral cats that lived in the woods. They were cold in the winter and hot in the summer. They never had enough to eat and lived lives of fear. However, there was an owner of a cat sanctuary that took pity on them. He wanted to rescue the cats and give them a home. So, his son went out to coax them to the shelter. They could have just trapped all of the cats, but they didn't want to scare them any more than needed. So, they mainly stuck to gathering up the friendly strays that would come to them and any abandoned kittens. The feral cats were afraid that the humans wanted to kill or torture them, so they ran far away and would not let themselves be caught. Now the ones that were rescued lived happily ever after in a warm cozy place full of all the things a cat would love. The feral cats continued to live as they always had, not realizing the happiness that would be theirs if only they'd been rescued.

There are humans who are like those feral cats in that they would not want to be saved. For God to save them against their will would be like keeping a wild animal as a pet.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

4. Amen Sparko, DesertBerean amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by James Cusick View Post
    ah! the old "hand-wave away anything that proves me wrong" tactic. Very original.

6. Amen Cerebrum123, DesertBerean amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    ah! the old "hand-wave away anything that proves me wrong" tactic. Very original.
    Is this mickiel's twin? Sounds familiar...

And what about those who committed untypeable(I'd say unspeakable, but I'm typing and not speaking, so...) acts? Shouldn't there be justice for their victims? Why should they get to go to the same place as an innocent baby when they are unrepentant jerks?
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

8. Amen Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    Is this mickiel's twin? Sounds familiar...

And what about those who committed untypeable(I'd say unspeakable, but I'm typing and not speaking, so...) acts? Shouldn't there be justice for their victims? Why should they get to go to the same place as an innocent baby when they are unrepentant jerks?
    Pretty much Meh Gerbil is right. You can't really debate with nutjobs that just throw out any evidence that they are wrong and quote-mine the bible to claim they are right. They are not reasonable or open to logic.

10. Amen Bill the Cat, Cerebrum123, DesertBerean amen'd this post.
    Faith
    circular balloonist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    That is kind-of true
    No, it was absolutely true.
    People cannot just 'kinda' disobey God.
    There would be no need for the cross were it not for serious trespass.

Every person is a child of God - and God will SAVE every one of His children.
    You keep saying that but you seem to be lacking Scriptural support.
    HINT: I'm very sympathetic to your view but you've got to back it with Scripture.

And the commandments are there for people to choose life and to live better, instead of the commandments being misused for condemnation.
    You have this absolutely backwards.
    1: The law's role is to condemn us - Romans 3:19
    2: We aren't to live by the law, not even as a guide - Romans 6:14

I understand the claim that your God is the God of only a few select people, but I am referring to the God of all humanity, without any person getting lost or left out.
    Romans was addressed to Christians.
    You attempted to apply a text written to Christians and about Christians to all people.
    I made no statements about God reigning over only a few select people.

The text has broader applications, and God is so much bigger than that.
    No, you don't get to take a passage and run hither and yon with it.
    I agree God is much bigger than we can comprehend; however, that isn't a license to begin making bold proclamations about what He is going to do what He isn't going to do. You need to make your case with Scripture and you haven't done that yet.
    Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Faith
    circular balloonist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The old Greek word for Hell was Hades from the old Greek religion, and Hades was the God of the underworld.
    The Gospel is written in the old Greek language yes, but Jesus did not preach the Greek religion.
    Hell is a translation of three different words, one of the words being 'Hades' but another popular one being 'Gehenna', a reference to the dump outside Jerusalem.
    Regardless, it was addressed as a real place that would be inhabited - and you have to deal with that.

This hand waving is not acceptable.
    Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

13. Amen Cerebrum123, DesertBerean amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
    Hell is a translation of three different words, one of the words being 'Hades' but another popular one being 'Gehenna', a reference to the dump outside Jerusalem.
    Regardless, it was addressed as a real place that would be inhabited - and you have to deal with that.

This hand waving is not acceptable.
    Mossrose? Is that you?
    The last Christian left at tweb

15. Amen Meh Gerbil amen'd this post.
    Faith
    circular balloonist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    Mossrose? Is that you?
    Shouldn't you be stocking up on ammo?