Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Are you ready for self-driving Taxis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am going to invent self-walking boots with built in GPS so you never get lost hiking in the woods. These boots are made for walking.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      I am going to invent self-walking boots with built in GPS so you never get lost hiking in the woods. These boots are made for walking.
      Except for the self walking bit roguetech™ is already there.

0000000000000cg1.jpg
      The built in GPS to guide you home from anywhere in the world
      activates when you click your heels together three times. The left
      shoe points in the desired direction, the right one shows how close you are

We're still working on a less nerdy looking design.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

You'll sell a lot more if you include an automatic butt kicking function for people who tick you off.

Comment

Originally posted by rwatts View Post
          Not for me. I'm at the edge of retirement.

Not for my kids. I think they will make it through.

But for my gradkids. I agree.

This stuff is sooo fascinating, but what effect it will have on us as far as jobs and a distribution of wealth goes, worries me a lot.
          Look on the bright side. Your grandkids might not even live on this planet their whole life.
          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
            You'll sell a lot more if you include an automatic butt kicking function for people who tick you off.
            Many years ago we had a device the name of which is far too vulgar to repeat that looked like an over-sized, old-fashioned soldering gun with a cone at the end of the "barrel" (sort of like a 1940s style "ray gun" in the movies) that was connected by a cable to an attache case. If aimed at another car it complete shut it down frying out the electronics (never fire it over the hood of your own vehicle). There was talk of equipping police cars with them (mounting it in the front bumper) and using them to stop fleeing felons and the like but they had the nasty habit of also permanently shutting down other things like pace makers.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Forget Taxis trying to run you over. Skynet is officially here. The Air Force now has autonomous fighter planes.

===
              Air Force tests air-to-ground strikes with an autonomous F-16 wingman
              There's so much focus around autonomous cars these days it's easy to forget that the military's trying to plug artificial intelligence into fighting vehicles, too. And not just in computer mock-ups, like last June's exhibition wherein a flight AI beat a retired USAF Colonel in simulated dogfights. In a recent test, military contractors used an unmanned system autonomously flying an F-16 combat jet as a wingman to support a human pilot in a separate aircraft. The system successfully met its goals to adapt, plan and execute maneuvers all on its own.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/04/10/...omous-f-16-wi/

Comment

Forget Taxis trying to run you over. Skynet is officially here. The Air Force now has autonomous fighter planes.

===
                Air Force tests air-to-ground strikes with an autonomous F-16 wingman
                There's so much focus around autonomous cars these days it's easy to forget that the military's trying to plug artificial intelligence into fighting vehicles, too. And not just in computer mock-ups, like last June's exhibition wherein a flight AI beat a retired USAF Colonel in simulated dogfights. In a recent test, military contractors used an unmanned system autonomously flying an F-16 combat jet as a wingman to support a human pilot in a separate aircraft. The system successfully met its goals to adapt, plan and execute maneuvers all on its own.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/04/10/...omous-f-16-wi/

Nobody watched the movie, I guess...
                I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                  Nobody watched the movie, I guess...
                  I know. They even named a browser after it.

Comment

Here is a new twist.

Want an uber but are too snobby to get into someone else's car?

Lincoln Chauffeur will let you call someone to drive you around in your own car.

Lincoln Chauffeur provides drivers on demand, while you supply the car

Lincoln is testing a new service for owners of its vehicles that supply a driver on demand. The service is like a very upscale Uber, in which you supply the car, and Lincoln supplies a professional driver – one who is actually a Lincoln employee, not a spot contractor – to ferry you around, return your car to your home, and basically make you feel like a VIP.

The service will launch first in Miami, reports Autoblog, and will let Lincoln owners order up a chauffeur via a smartphone app. The chauffeur will not only be able to drive you around, but will also return your car to your home in case others in the household need to use it, will fill it up if so required, and can even run light errands like picking up some groceries.

Costs, as you might expect, are not cheap: During the pilot program, Lincoln Chauffeur will run around $30 per hour, which is actually not terrible compared to Uber until you remember you have to supply the car as well. On the plus side for Lincoln owners, they’ll get eight hours free of Chauffeur service included in the purchase price.
                    https://techcrunch.com/2017/04/12/li...upply-the-car/

Comment