Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Looks Like John Tors Isn't Happy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks Like John Tors Isn't Happy

I plan on responding to him Friday possibly, but I figured some others might enjoy reading this.

http://www.truthinmydays.com/drownin...-of-the-bible/

That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

This is what Geisler methodology produces.

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
        I plan on responding to him Friday possibly, but I figured some others might enjoy reading this.

That is quite a diatribe. Though I'm not sure where the problem about not everything in the Bible being inspired by God arises.
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
        Scripture before Tradition:
        but that won't prevent others from
        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
          That is quite a diatribe. Though I'm not sure where the problem about not everything in the Bible being inspired by God arises.
          Because in fundy thinking, if anything isn't 100% dead on accurate in every way, none of it is accurate in any way.
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            Because in fundy thinking, if anything isn't 100% dead on accurate in every way, none of it is accurate in any way.
            But ... but ...

If they applied that logic to their own teachings ...
            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
            Scripture before Tradition:
            but that won't prevent others from
            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I got 1/4 way through. The Bible is divinely inspired yet written by men. Spiritually accurate, true to the moral law, but still written by men who can err on dates numbers, etc. If people would quit insisting it has to be 100 percent every word true there would be a lot of things that wouldn't cause such issues in churches and with their children. I just can't.......
              A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
              George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                But ... but ...

If they applied that logic to their own teachings ...
                Then Communion would be literal?
                A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                  I got 1/4 way through.
                  I don't think I got that far before my eyes rolled back into my head.

Comment

He certainly doesn't lack chutzpah:

Originally posted by Tors
                    In fact, I have no reason to think that [Daniel] Wallace has any idea that I wrote about him; he is no doubt a very busy man. But if he will not “want to spend much time with Tors,” he has been well advised; it is another maxim of strategic warfare not to enter into a battle one cannot possibly win. And he cannot win this one.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I'm sure people think this. For me, it's that there's no way to verify which parts are accurate when you readily admit not all of it is 100% accurate.
                      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                        I'm sure people think this. For me, it's that there's no way to verify which parts are accurate when you readily admit not all of it is 100% accurate.
                        For me, it's that sometimes, details aren't that big of an issue - e.g. One angel or two at the tomb is pretty inconsequential, but from the fundy all-or-nothing approach, one has to be wrong. The way Tors is approaching the scriptures, I don't see how he can address this consistently.
                        That's what
                        - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          I don't think I got that far before my eye rolled back into my head.
                          FIFY n/c

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

For me, it's that sometimes, details aren't that big of an issue - e.g. One angel or two at the tomb is pretty inconsequential, but from the fundy all-or-nothing approach, one has to be wrong. The way Tors is approaching the scriptures, I don't see how he can address this consistently.
                            It depends on the issue, though. Details are what drive views on pre-/post-tribulation rapture, for example, or how, exactly, one is considered to be saved. I agree that one angel or two is trivial, but there's a huge amount of debate and dissent on what is 'real' when the details don't add up. And they don't.

I don't think Tors can address this consistently, but I don't think the fault lies with him. I haven't followed all the inerrancy debate, and I understand the difference between inerrant in general and in detail. I just think Tors' approach is actually more consistent, for all that I don't think it can jive with reality. His definition of inerrancy isn't inaccurate, and it's a litmus test that Christianity needs, even while we could agree it's not the one it has. Which is, ultimately, one of the reasons I couldn't be an adherent, even were I convinced of God's existence. Too many things just don't add up.
                            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Source: DROWNING IN DEEPER WATERS: A Response to Nick Peters and Another Look at the Evangelical Betrayal of the Bible

In it we discussed in detail how far too many evangelical scholars have been seduced into accepting liberal paradigm assumptions in three areas – historical criticism, textual criticism, and Darwinism – and in so doing have eroded the credibility of the Bible as the word of God, portraying it (deliberately or not) as a set of documents written by men in ancient times who were products of their culture and who made mistakes of facts. The idea that the Bible is inerrant (in any meaningful sense of the word) has de facto been discarded, and its authority has therefore been severely undermined.[2]

It is not surprising that people mentioned in the article as embracing this problematic approach would object, arguing that their approach is valid. One who has done that is Nick Peters, on a recent post[3] on his blog, “Deeper Waters.”

Source

© Copyright Original Source

I always suspected that you were one of them thar radical leftists and evilutionists. I'll bet you even got a Commie flag tacked up on the wall inside of your garage.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment