Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Innerancy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
    Well I actually don't think this is a contradiction so much as I think it's an instance of modern evangelical theology being severely wrong in its reading of Paul. I don't think Paul is trying to teach that God's required standards of righteousness cannot be met by humans, I think that's a severe misreading of Paul, that Paul would have objected to vehemently, and which places Paul into contradiction with the context of his own proof-texts and with many other biblical passages.
    That it do
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
      Nope. It is simply a matter of certain parties misrepresenting what their cherry picked (I think that's the term) citations, Paul's included, are about. Once again you have adequately addressed the issue.
      I'm having a hard time finding in these passages where all of them "claim specific people or groups are righteous", and that's not really the point of the quotes anyways. Paul is not saying that no one was ever called righteous in the Old Testament. Surely he knows that some were called that, but he's making the point that Jews are no different than Gentiles in that they all sin, and come short of the glory of God, even those who abide by the Law.

Starlight is confused about the concept of righteousness, and what Paul means by that in the context of Romans. FF Bruce untangles this a bit in his commentary on Romans,

Source: The Letter of Paul to the Romans: An Introduction and Commentary by Frederick Fyvie Bruce, pp. 73-74

To understand the sense in which the gospel is said to reveal God's righteousness it is necessary to bear in mind some facts about the concept of righteousness in the Old Testament, which forms the chief background of Paul's thought and language.

'The idea of right and wrong among the Hebrews are forensic ideas; that is, the Hebrew always thinks of the right and the wrong as if they were to be settled before a judge. Righteousness is to the Hebrew not so much a moral quality as a legal status. The word "righteous" (saddiq) means simply "in the right", and the word "wicked" (rasha') means "in the wrong". "I have sinned this time", says Pharaoh, "Jehovah is in the right (A.V. righteous), and I and my people are in the wrong (A.V. wicked)", Exod. ix. 27. Jehovah is always in the right, for He is not only sovereign but self-consistent. He is the fountain of righteousness . . . the consistent will of Jehovah is the law of Israel.'

God is himself righteous, and those men and women are righteous who are 'in the right' in relation to God and his law. When, therefore, the righteousness of God is revealed in the gospel, it is revealed in a twofold manner. The gospel tells us first how men and women, sinners as they are, can come to be 'in the right' with God and second how God's personal righteousness is vindicated in the very act of declaring sinful men and women ' righteous'. This second aspect of the matter is not dealt with immediately, but the former is expanded sufficiently to show that the principle on which God brings people into the right with himself is the principle of faith, and for this statement Old Testament authority is adduced in the words of Habakkuk 2:4b, 'the righteous shall live by his faith'. Habakkuk 2:4b may be called the 'text' of this Epistle; what follows is in large measure an exposition of the prophet's words.

© Copyright Original Source

And in his introduction, Bruce breaks down Paul's general message in Romans,

Source: The Letter of Paul to the Romans: An Introduction and Commentary by Frederick Fyvie Bruce, pp. 59-60

I. I am in no way ashamed of the gospel: no indeed, it is the message which God uses effectively for the salvation of all who believe. This is the message which reveals God's way of putting men and women right with himself by the exercise of faith, in accordance with the statement of Scripture: 'It is the one who is righteous through faith that will live.'

II. The need for such a message becomes clear as we contemplate the world of mankind. Not only do we see divine retribution working itself out among pagans, whose wrong way of life is the fruit of wrong ideas about God; we see the Jewish nation too, in spite of their knowing the law of God and enjoying so many other privileges, failing to keep the law they know. In fact all human beings, Jews and Gentiles alike, are morally bankrupt before God; no-one can hope to be pronounced righteous by God on the basis of any work or merit of his own.

III. If men and women are to be pronounced righteous by God, then, it must be by his grace. And God in his grace has made it possible for them to be put in the right with him, thanks to the redemptive work of Christ. On the ground of his sacrificial death, Christ is set before us as the one who makes full atonement for our sins; and we may, by faith, appropriate the benefits of his atoning work. Thus God maintains his own righteousness, and at the same time bestows righteousness on all believers in Jesus, regardless of whether they are Jews or Gentiles. The law of God is thus vindicated, and the sacred Scriptures are fulfilled.

If you consider Abraham, for example, you will find that this was the way in which he found acceptance with God: 'Abraham believed god', says the Scripture, 'and it was reckoned to him as righteousness.' (Nor is he an isolated case; the same principle can be seen at work in the testimony of David.) Mark this too: these words about Abraham were spoken while he was still uncircumcised, showing that this way of righteousness by faith is for Gentiles as well as for Jews. Abraham is thus the spiritual father of all believers, irrespective of their racial origin. And the statement that Abraham's faith as reckoned to him as righteousness means that if we believe in God, whose saving power has been revealed in the death and resurrection of Christ, it will similarly be reckoned to us as righteousness.

Getting directly into the Romans passage itself, let's take a look at what it says, and those passages it quotes,

Scripture Verse: Romans 3:9

What then? Are we better off? Certainly not, for we have already charged that Jews and Greeks alike are all under sin, 10 just as it is written:

“There is no one righteous, not even one,
      11 there is no one who understands,
      there is no one who seeks God.
      12 All have turned away,
      together they have become worthless;
      there is no one who shows kindness, not even one.”
      13 “Their throats are open graves,
      they deceive with their tongues,
      the poison of asps is under their lips.”
      14 “Their mouths are full of cursing and bitterness.”
      15 “Their feet are swift to shed blood,
      16 ruin and misery are in their paths,
      17 and the way of peace they have not known.”
      18 “There is no fear of God before their eyes.”

The first quote comes either from Psalm 14 or Psalm 53.

Scripture Verse: Psalm 14:1

Fools say to themselves, “There is no God.”
      They sin and commit evil deeds;
      none of them does what is right.
      2 The Lord looks down from heaven at the human race,
      to see if there is anyone who is wise and seeks God.
      3 Everyone rejects God;
      they are all morally corrupt.
      None of them does what is right,
      not even one!
      4 All those who behave wickedly do not understand—
      those who devour my people as if they were eating bread,
      and do not call out to the Lord.
      5 They are absolutely terrified,
      for God defends the godly.
      6 You want to humiliate the oppressed,
      even though the Lord is their shelter.
      7 I wish the deliverance of Israel would come from Zion!
      When the Lord restores the well-being of his people,
      may Jacob rejoice,
      may Israel be happy!

Scripture Verse: Psalm 53:1

Fools say to themselves, “There is no God.”
      They sin and commit evil deeds;
      none of them does what is right.
      2 God looks down from heaven at the human race,
      to see if there is anyone who is wise and seeks God.
      3 Everyone rejects God;
      they are all morally corrupt.
      None of them does what is right,
      not even one!
      4 All those who behave wickedly do not understand—
      those who devour my people as if they were eating bread,
      and do not call out to God.
      5 They are absolutely terrified,
      even by things that do not normally cause fear.
      For God annihilates those who attack you.
      You are able to humiliate them because God has rejected them.
      6 I wish the deliverance of Israel would come from Zion!
      When God restores the well-being of his people,
      may Jacob rejoice,
      may Israel be happy!

Nothing there about the righteous.

Romans 3:13 is a combination of Psalm 5 and 140,

Scripture Verse: Psalm 5

Listen to what I say, Lord!
      Carefully consider my complaint!
      2 Pay attention to my cry for help,
      my king and my God,
      for I am praying to you!
      3 Lord, in the morning you will hear me;
      in the morning I will present my case to you and then wait expectantly for an answer.
      4 Certainly you are not a God who approves of evil;
      evil people cannot dwell with you.
      5 Arrogant people cannot stand in your presence;
      you hate all who behave wickedly.
      6 You destroy liars;
      the Lord despises violent and deceitful people.
      7 But as for me, because of your great faithfulness I will enter your house;
      I will bow down toward your holy temple as I worship you.
      8 Lord, lead me in your righteousness
      because of those who wait to ambush me,
      remove the obstacles in the way in which you are guiding me!
      9 For they do not speak the truth;
      their stomachs are like the place of destruction,
      their throats like an open grave,
      their tongues like a steep slope leading into it.
      10 Condemn them, O God!
      May their own schemes be their downfall!
      Drive them away because of their many acts of insurrection,
      for they have rebelled against you.
      11 But may all who take shelter in you be happy!
      May they continually shout for joy!
      Shelter them so that those who are loyal to you may rejoice!
      12 Certainly you reward the godly, Lord.
      Like a shield you protect them in your good favor.

Scripture Verse: Psalm 140

O Lord, rescue me from wicked men!
      Protect me from violent men,
      2 who plan ways to harm me.
      All day long they stir up conflict.
      3 Their tongues wound like a serpent;
      a viper’s venom is behind their lips. (Selah)
      4 O Lord, shelter me from the power of the wicked!
      Protect me from violent men,
      who plan to knock me over.
      5 Proud men hide a snare for me;
      evil men spread a net by the path;
      they set traps for me. (Selah)
      6 I say to the Lord, “You are my God.”
      O Lord, pay attention to my plea for mercy!
      7 O sovereign Lord, my strong deliverer,
      you shield my head in the day of battle.
      8 O Lord, do not let the wicked have their way!
      Do not allow their plan to succeed when they attack! (Selah)
      9 As for the heads of those who surround me—
      may the harm done by their lips overwhelm them!
      10 May he rain down fiery coals upon them!
      May he throw them into the fire!
      From bottomless pits they will not escape.
      11 A slanderer will not endure on the earth;
      calamity will hunt down a violent man and strike him down.
      12 I know that the Lord defends the cause of the oppressed
      and vindicates the poor.
      13 Certainly the godly will give thanks to your name;
      the morally upright will live in your presence.

These passages come closer to making a distinction between the wicked and the righteous, but they're not contradicting Psalm 14 and Psalm 53, rather the Psalmist is pleading to God to lead him into righteousness, and he predicts that those who are led into righteousness will be brought into God's presence, as they certainly will, and as Paul himself declares.

Romans 3:14 quotes Psalm 10 which refers to the wicked and those they oppress, but, again, does not contradict Psalm 14 or 53.

Romans 3:15-17 is quoting Isaiah 59

Scripture Verse: Isaiah 59:1

Look, the Lord’s hand is not too weak to deliver you; his ear is not too deaf to hear you. 2 But your sinful acts have alienated you from your God; your sins have caused him to reject you and not listen to your prayers. 3 For your hands are stained with blood and your fingers with sin; your lips speak lies, your tongue utters malicious words. 4 No one is concerned about justice; no one sets forth his case truthfully. They depend on false words and tell lies; they conceive of oppression and give birth to sin. 5 They hatch the eggs of a poisonous snake and spin a spider’s web. Whoever eats their eggs will die, a poisonous snake is hatched. 6 Their webs cannot be used for clothing; they cannot cover themselves with what they make. Their deeds are sinful; they commit violent crimes. 7 They are eager to do evil, quick to shed innocent blood. Their thoughts are sinful; they crush and destroy. 8 They are unfamiliar with peace; their deeds are unjust. They use deceitful methods, and whoever deals with them is unfamiliar with peace.

9 For this reason deliverance is far from us and salvation does not reach us. We wait for light, but see only darkness; we wait for a bright light, but live in deep darkness. 10 We grope along the wall like the blind, we grope like those who cannot see; we stumble at noontime as if it were evening. Though others are strong, we are like dead men. 11 We all growl like bears, we coo mournfully like doves; we wait for deliverance, but there is none, for salvation, but it is far from us. 12 For you are aware of our many rebellious deeds, and our sins testify against us; indeed, we are aware of our rebellious deeds; we know our sins all too well. 13 We have rebelled and tried to deceive the Lord; we turned back from following our God. We stir up oppression and rebellion; we tell lies we concocted in our minds. 14 Justice is driven back; godliness stands far off. Indeed, honesty stumbles in the city square and morality is not even able to enter. 15 Honesty has disappeared; the one who tries to avoid evil is robbed.

The Lord watches and is displeased, for there is no justice. 16 He sees there is no advocate; he is shocked that no one intervenes. So he takes matters into his own hands; his desire for justice drives him on. 17 He wears his desire for justice like body armor, and his desire to deliver is like a helmet on his head. He puts on the garments of vengeance and wears zeal like a robe. 18 He repays them for what they have done, dispensing angry judgment to his adversaries and punishing his enemies. He repays the coastlands. 19 In the west, people respect the Lord’s reputation; in the east they recognize his splendor. For he comes like a rushing stream driven on by wind sent from the Lord. 20 “A protector comes to Zion, to those in Jacob who repent of their rebellious deeds,” says the Lord. 21 “As for me, this is my promise to them,” says the Lord. “My spirit, who is upon you, and my words, which I have placed in your mouth, will not depart from your mouth or from the mouths of your children and descendants from this time forward,” says the Lord.

Again, none of this contradicts Paul's point, rather it agrees with the general sentiment expressed in Romans 3.

Finally, Romans 3:18 comes from Psalm 36 which discusses the rebelliousness of evil men, and a plea to God to vindicate his faithful followers, but, again, this doesn't take away from the main talking points of Psalm 14 and 53, nor does it contradict Paul's message in Romans 3.

Again, F.F. Bruce putting these passages into context,

Source: The Letter of Paul to the Romans: An Introduction and Commentary by Frederick Fyvie Bruce, pp. 92-93

D. ALL MANKIND FOUND GUILTY (3:9-20)

'Well then,' the interlocutor proceeds, 'you have said that it is an advantage to belong to the Jewish nation. Does it not follow that we Jews are superior to those Gentiles who lack the privileges we enjoy?' 'No indeed,' says Paul; 'we may have received greater advantages, but we are in fact in no better case than they are. They have sinned, it is true; but then, so have we. All, Jews and Gentiles alike, are bound to plead guilty before the bar of God. The situation is well summed up in the words of Scripture.'

Here Paul adduces a catena of Old Testament quotation in which the general sinfulness of humanity is summed up. The catena comes in here to clinch a case already established by various arguments. If the quotations were examined one by one, it would be necessary to relate them to their historical contexts; some at least of them had a particular rather than a universal reference. But the general picture which they here present rounds off the case which Paul has been building up. And if he supposes an objection to his use of these quotations, the objection is not that he has detached them from their historical contexts, but that they refer to the wicked Gentiles only, not to Israel. 'No," he replies, 'these quotations are taken from the Jewish Scriptures, and therefore the people whom they have primarily in view are Jews." What is written in the law (here meaning the Hebrew Bible as a whole) applies naturally to the people of the law. The law brings out men and women's sinfulness but does nothing to cure it. Jews as well as Gentiles, then, have to confess themselves morally bankrupt. If there is any hope for either group, it can be found only in the mercy of God and not in any claim that individuals or nations may try to establish on him. Because of the universal fact of sin, the way of acceptance with God by reason of our works of righteousness is closed - the notice is clearly worded: 'No Road This Way.'

NT scholar Ben Witherington III makes an interesting point about Romans 3 in "Paul's Letter to the Romans: A Socio-Rhetorical Commentary",

Source: Paul's Letter to the Romans: A Socio-Rhetorical Commentary by Ben Witherington III and Darlene Hyatt, pp. 95-96

Some have protested the view that Paul could be talking about the universal sinfulness of every last human being (see, e.g., Stowers, A Rereading of Romans, passim) and have tried to argue that this was not a Jewish view of things. In fact, however, there were other early Jews who affirmed that none were righteous. Rabbi Eliezer, who lived at the end of the first century A.D., also affirmed the universal sinfulness of humanity, including all Jews (see Babylonian Talmud Sanhedrin 101a). This also seems to be clearly affirmed at Qumran (cf. 1QH 4. 29f.; 7.17; 9.14f. - "None is righteous according to thy sentence, nor guiltless in thy judgement"). Thus universal sinfulness is not a uniquely Christian idea, though perhaps it was not the dominant view in early Judaism.

Oh, as an interesting side note, concerning Augustine's misreading of Romans 5:12, a number of scholars have made the point we can still reach the same conclusion about original sin with the correct translation. This blog post mentions a number of approaches to the subject.
      Last edited by Adrift; 04-12-2017, 11:17 AM.

Comment

True enough - but if we are to believe the accounts, the offspring were produced according to whether the procedure had been followed or not. Given that the procedure could not have produced such a result, there arises the need to account for the results. You have quite thoroughly eliminated any possibility that a "natural" explanation is viable.
        The supernatural explanation is mentioned in the next chapter:

Scripture Verse: Genesis 31:10

Once during breeding season I saw in a dream that the male goats mating with the flock were streaked, speckled, and spotted. 11 In the dream the angel of God said to me, ‘Jacob!’ ‘Here I am!’ I replied. 12 Then he said, ‘Observe that all the male goats mating with the flock are streaked, speckled, or spotted, for I have observed all that Laban has done to you. 13 I am the God of Bethel, where you anointed the sacred stone and made a vow to me. Now leave this land immediately and return to your native land.’

So, it really has nothing to do with Jacob's actions, as much as with God's intervention. As demonstrated in so many other examples in the OT (and a number of places in the NT), God requires an individual to perform some sort of act of faith preceding his divine intervention.

Comment

Ben Witherington

vs

a site called "Bible Babble"

Wow. Tough choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
            I'm having a hard time finding in these passages where all of them "claim specific people or groups are righteous", and that's not really the point of the quotes anyways. Paul is not saying that no one was ever called righteous in the Old Testament. Surely he knows that some were called that, but he's making the point that Jews are no different than Gentiles in that they all sin, and come short of the glory of God, even those who abide by the Law.
            Part of that difficulty might be explained by this kind of thing: "The men replied, “Cornelius, a centurion and an upright (δικαιος = righteous) and God-fearing man ...” but Lot is declared to have been righteous (2 Peter 2:8), Noah (Gen 7:1) In 2 Sam 22:21 David declares himself to be righteous, and Solomon affirms that David was righteous (1 Kings 3:6) 1 Kings 8:32 acknowledges that righteous people can exist, as do Amos 2:6 and Habakkuk 1:4.

NT scholar Ben Witherington III makes an interesting point about Romans 3 in "Paul's Letter to the Romans: A Socio-Rhetorical Commentary",

Oh, as an interesting side note, concerning Augustine's misreading of Romans 5:12, a number of scholars have made the point we can still reach the same conclusion about original sin with the correct translation. This blog post mentions a number of approaches to the subject.
            Original Sin (as in the idea that all men are deemed sinners because they inherited sin from Adam) is by no means supported by a correct reading of Romans. A full and thorough examination, point by point, shows that death comes to all men because, not Adam, but all men sinned: themselves, personally. The matter is given full exposition in Ezekiel 18, with verse 20 stating what is reiterated throughout the chapter "The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.". Jeremiah also makes the same statement.
            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Part of that difficulty might be explained by this kind of thing: "The men replied, “Cornelius, a centurion and an upright (δικαιος = righteous) and God-fearing man ...” but Lot is declared to have been righteous (2 Peter 2:8), Noah (Gen 7:1) In 2 Sam 22:21 David declares himself to be righteous, and Solomon affirms that David was righteous (1 Kings 3:6) 1 Kings 8:32 acknowledges that righteous people can exist, as do Amos 2:6 and Habakkuk 1:4.
              This reply of yours doesn't appear to me to be interacting with the post you're replying to. I know it was long, but did you read all of it? Again, Paul certainly knows that some have been called righteous in the Old Testament, he himself acknowledges that Abraham was righteous in the very next chapter. So what does Paul mean when he quotes the scripture that none are righteous? Well again, he's making the point that none are righteous by their own works. All have sinned and come short of the glory of God. Righteousness must be accounted to people by God when they put their faith in Him. And more to the point, the Jews are no different than the Gentiles in this regard.

Scripture Verse: Romans 4:4

What then shall we say that Abraham, our ancestor according to the flesh, has discovered regarding this matter? 2 For if Abraham was declared righteous by works, he has something to boast about—but not before God. 3 For what does the scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.” 4 Now to the one who works, his pay is not credited due to grace but due to obligation. 5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous, his faith is credited as righteousness.

6 So even David himself speaks regarding the blessedness of the man to whom God credits righteousness apart from works:

7 “Blessed are those whose lawless deeds are forgiven, and whose sins are covered;
              8 blessed is the one against whom the Lord will never count sin.”
              9 Is this blessedness then for the circumcision or also for the uncircumcision? For we say, “faith was credited to Abraham as righteousness.” 10 How then was it credited to him? Was he circumcised at the time, or not? No, he was not circumcised but uncircumcised! 11 And he received the sign of circumcision as a seal of the righteousness that he had by faith while he was still uncircumcised, so that he would become the father of all those who believe but have never been circumcised, that they too could have righteousness credited to them. 12 And he is also the father of the circumcised, who are not only circumcised, but who also walk in the footsteps of the faith that our father Abraham possessed when he was still uncircumcised.

Original Sin (as in the idea that all men are deemed sinners because they inherited sin from Adam) is by no means supported by a correct reading of Romans. A full and thorough examination, point by point, shows that death comes to all men because, not Adam, but all men sinned: themselves, personally. The matter is given full exposition in Ezekiel 18, with verse 20 stating what is reiterated throughout the chapter "The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.". Jeremiah also makes the same statement.
              Take it up with those theologians who say otherwise. My point by linking to the blog is that, contrary to Starlight's diatribe, it's possible to reach Augustine's conclusion (and "in a more exegetically supportable manner" ) regardless of his incorrect reading of Romans 5:12.

Comment

Your challenge appears to be "find a passage that I can't make up fake and creative explanations about to show that it's 'really' when 'properly understood' Totally Not False Like It Looks". Since you can, of course, make up fake and creative explanations about any passage, what's the point?

After a quick google for lists of errors and browsing the results, I think this list of errors is one of the better ones that shows some simple contradictions. It's far from complete of course, but shows some of the more obvious and simple contradictions. A lot of them result from the fact that Chronicles vs Samuel/Kings cover the same historical timeline but give different accounts.

A few of my own personal favorite errors / problems (not mentioned in the linked list above) are:
                1. The story of Jacob's breeding of speckled cattle through having the cattle breed in speckled shade (Gen 30). From a modern scientific perspective this beautifully depicts the common historical Lamarckian ideas of evolution, and how things were often understood prior to modern discoveries of genetics and DNA. Breed cattle in front of speckled shade, get speckled cattle, what could be more obvious... except that of course we now know that's not how it works.

2. The story of Saul/David/Jonathan in Samuel and Kings is interesting because the writer has pasted together awkwardly about 3 different historical accounts of the events and not properly edited them to flow. So the accounts contradict on issues like: when Saul and David first meet, and how; On when Goliath was killed and in which battle; etc.

3. "No one is righteous, not even one". This is an interesting theological conundrum. Paul cites in Romans 3 a series of 6 OT quotes purporting to show that "no one" is righteous. However if you look up the OT references for those you find in all 6 passages that the original author is not in fact claiming that nobody in the world is righteous and all 6 passages actually claim specific people or groups are righteous. Also, numerous other passages in the bible state that certain people or groups are righteous... e.g. "Noah was a righteous man, blameless in his generation" etc.
                Item 1. Is a known matter of disagreement on interpretations. Adrift cited that it was an intervention by God.
                Item 2. You yourself suggested known textual issues. We would need to look at a specific.
                Item 3. Can be addressed by citing other scriptures. It being a matter of disagreement over interpretations. All humans being sinners before a holy God. And God counting some as righteous. "For there is not a just man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not." -- Ecclesiastes 7:20. ". . . And he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness. . . ." -- Genesis 15:6. ". . . And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God. . . ." -- Mark 10:18.

We can discuss one of those or another further if you so choose.
                . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by jpholding View Post
                  Ben Witherington

vs

a site called "Bible Babble"
                  Witherington's quote was talking about the interpretation of Romans. Nothing to do with Bible Babble, keep up.
                  "I hate him passionately", he's "a demonic force" - Tucker Carlson, in private, on Donald Trump
                  "Every line of serious work that I have written since 1936 has been written, directly or indirectly, against totalitarianism and for democratic socialism" - George Orwell
                  "[Capitalism] as it exists today is, in my opinion, the real source of evils. I am convinced there is only one way to eliminate these grave evils, namely through the establishment of a socialist economy" - Albert Einstein

Comment

Well I actually don't think this is a contradiction so much as I think it's an instance of modern evangelical theology being severely wrong in its reading of Paul. I don't think Paul is trying to teach that God's required standards of righteousness cannot be met by humans, I think that's a severe misreading of Paul, that Paul would have objected to vehemently, and which places Paul into contradiction with the context of his own proof-texts and with many other biblical passages.
                    On this one I have to disagree: Paul was indeed saying "that God's required standards of righteousness cannot be met by humans" who remain in the flesh. He does not say, however, that those standards are unattainable to those who are in the Spirit, and he does deny that a person who is faithful to God is still in the flesh. "You are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if the Spirit of God dwells in you."
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift
                      This reply of yours doesn't appear to me to be interacting with the post you're replying to. I know it was long, but did you read all of it? Again, Paul certainly knows that some have been called righteous in the Old Testament, he himself acknowledges that Abraham was righteous in the very next chapter. So what does Paul mean when he quotes the scripture that none are righteous? Well again, he's making the point that none are righteous by their own works. All have sinned and come short of the glory of God. Righteousness must be accounted to people by God when they put their faith in Him. And more to the point, the Jews are no different than the Gentiles in this regard.
                      I have no point of disagreement with this one ... probably. It depends on the limits you assign to "Righteousness must be accounted by God when they put their faith in him."
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

On this one I have to disagree: Paul was indeed saying "that God's required standards of righteousness cannot be met by humans" who remain in the flesh. He does not say, however, that those standards are unattainable to those who are in the Spirit, and he does deny that a person who is faithful to God is still in the flesh. "You are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if the Spirit of God dwells in you."
                        BTW tabibito I've started a new thread on this general topic here. As I think the discussion deserves more visibility than being 6 pages into a thread on inerrancy in an obscure sub-forum.
                        "I hate him passionately", he's "a demonic force" - Tucker Carlson, in private, on Donald Trump
                        "Every line of serious work that I have written since 1936 has been written, directly or indirectly, against totalitarianism and for democratic socialism" - George Orwell
                        "[Capitalism] as it exists today is, in my opinion, the real source of evils. I am convinced there is only one way to eliminate these grave evils, namely through the establishment of a socialist economy" - Albert Einstein

Comment

The fact remains that the Bible has error in light of the contradiction between 2 Kings 8:26 and 2 Chronicles 22:2 (KJV, ESV, RSV). 2 Kings 8:26 says "Ahaziah was 22 when he began to rule"; however, 2 Chronicles 22:2 says "Ahaziah was 42 when he began to rule." For sure, 22 and 42 are not same.

Comment

Most scholars are quite certain this is a copyist error which does not affect Inerrancy.

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
                              Most scholars are quite certain this is a copyist error which does not affect Inerrancy.
                              He's been told this over and over again. He equates a copyist error in the Bible with God lying for some strange reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
                                Whether the result of this contradiction (between 2 Kings 8:26 and 2 Chronicles 22:2) in the Bible today is due to copyist error or other reasons, the fact remains this contradiction (between 2 Kings 8:26 and 2 Chronicles 22:2) proves that the Bible today is not fully inspired by God.

Comment