Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Innerancy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Based on what I've seen here and elsewhere on the Internet, I can't help but wonder if this is really the best Muslim apologetics has to offer.

(I mean, I honestly think Mormonism is patent nonsense, but it has a share of people who can try to defend it without being complete idiots.)
    This is sadly better than what I've encountered in real life. Ran into a Muslim proselytizer on the Metro last week. Didn't help his case that he was talking to himself for like 10 minutes before he said anything to me.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      Based on what I've seen here and elsewhere on the Internet, I can't help but wonder if this is really the best Muslim apologetics has to offer.

(I mean, I honestly think Mormonism is patent nonsense, but it has a share of people who can try to defend it without being complete idiots.)
      For the most part Mormons have at least read their Book of Mormon whereas it surely appears that the lion's share of Muslim apologists have never looked inside the Qur'an or the Hadiths. Many are genuinely flummoxed when you start pointing out what the texts actually say.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        This is sadly better than what I've encountered in real life. Ran into a Muslim proselytizer on the Metro last week. Didn't help his case that he was talking to himself for like 10 minutes before he said anything to me.
        Did he threaten to blow you up if you didn't convert?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Did he threaten to blow you up if you didn't convert?
          No, when I refused to take his assertions as gospel, he said, "This conversation is over."
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            No, when I refused to take his assertions as gospel, he said, "This conversation is over."
            That's when I smile and say "this conversation has just begun!"

(unless, of course, he appears to be wearing a bulky coat or vest - then the next stop is mine!)
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              God sent His son to die for us so that we may have eternal life.
              Allah demands his followers send their own sons to die for him.

Talk about a theological conflict! And - Infants: The New Terrorist Weapon?

Rocks and glass houses, Hakeem.
              Your statement, "God sent His son to die for us" conflicts with God's command that "each is to die for his own sin" in 2 Kings 14:6.

Comment

• Originally posted by Same Hakeem View Post
                Your statement, "God sent His son to die for us" conflicts with God's command that "each is to die for his own sin" in 2 Kings 14:6.
                God sent his son so that whosoever might believe on him should not die, but could instead be granted life eternal. (The death of Christ made eternal life possible for people who meet a particular requirement)
                When the points are viewed on the basis of what they actually say, "God sent his son to die for us" is valid, and is not in conflict with the claim that "each will die for his own sin." To anyone who believes in Christ, God grants a pardon for past sins.
                A key component of "believing in Christ" is believing what he said.
                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                Scripture before Tradition:
                but that won't prevent others from
                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by Same Hakeem View Post
                  A) You have a fundamental misunderstanding of the context of the OT passage.
                  2) You have fundamental ignorance of the Old Testament and the New Testament Covenants.

The two examples are not even talking about the same thing.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• If this is the state of Islamic apologetics it is really sad.

Comment

• And it seems he thinks the passage in Jeremiah 31:30 itself refutes the atonement. Yes apart from Christ we will die for our sins as even Christ says in John 8:24. This is called a false dilemma.

Comment

• Originally posted by ReformedApologist View Post
                        If this is the state of Islamic apologetics it is really sad.
                        Yup. When you convert through coercion your ability to rationally defend your view tends to atrophy.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Yup. When you convert through coercion your ability to rationally defend your view tends to atrophy.
                          IF that ability even existed pre-conversion.

Comment

IF that ability even existed pre-conversion.
                            When your ability to persuade primarily revolves on a threat of convert or die why bother with things like logic and facts.

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                              God sent his son so that whosoever might believe on him should not die, but could instead be granted life eternal. (The death of Christ made eternal life possible for people who meet a particular requirement)
                              When the points are viewed on the basis of what they actually say, "God sent his son to die for us" is valid, and is not in conflict with the claim that "each will die for his own sin." To anyone who believes in Christ, God grants a pardon for past sins.
                              A key component of "believing in Christ" is believing what he said.
                              The "each will die for his own sin" was actually a clarification of the principle of capital punishment regarding the assassination of Amaziah's own father. - IN CONTEXT, and in a simpler to understand version....

Scripture Verse: 2 Kings 14 (NLT)

5 When Amaziah was well established as king, he executed the officials who had assassinated his father. 6 However, he did not kill the children of the assassins, for he obeyed the command of the Lord as written by Moses in the Book of the Law: “Parents must not be put to death for the sins of their children, nor children for the sins of their parents. Those deserving to die must be put to death for their own crimes.”

© Copyright Original Source

"Those deserving to die" is a reference to those who would be put to death under capital punishment.

Or, the CEV....

Scripture Verse:

5 As soon as Amaziah had control of Judah, he arrested and killed the officers who had murdered his father. 6 But the children of those officers were not killed. The Lord had commanded in the Law of Moses that only the people who sinned were to be punished, not their parents or children.

Amaziah was showing restraint.

Comment

The "each will die for his own sin" was actually a clarification of the principle of capital punishment regarding the assassination of Amaziah's own father. - IN CONTEXT, and in a simpler to understand version....

Scripture Verse: 2 Kings 14 (NLT)

5 When Amaziah was well established as king, he executed the officials who had assassinated his father. 6 However, he did not kill the children of the assassins, for he obeyed the command of the Lord as written by Moses in the Book of the Law: “Parents must not be put to death for the sins of their children, nor children for the sins of their parents. Those deserving to die must be put to death for their own crimes.”

"Those deserving to die" is a reference to those who would be put to death under capital punishment.

Or, the CEV....

Scripture Verse:

5 As soon as Amaziah had control of Judah, he arrested and killed the officers who had murdered his father. 6 But the children of those officers were not killed. The Lord had commanded in the Law of Moses that only the people who sinned were to be punished, not their parents or children.

Amaziah was showing restraint.
                                I had mistaken the reference for something from the record at Ezekiel 18: 1-21 - should have looked up the reference provided.

However, the correct reference does show that Amaziah had acted in accord with the law:

6 But the children of the murderers he slew not: according unto that which is written in the book of the law of Moses, wherein the LORD commanded, saying, The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, nor the children be put to death for the fathers; but every man shall be put to death for his own sin.

Something from Leviticus, perhaps?

Even so - the reference would be a law applying for human dealings with humans, not God's dealings with humans. Your objection to Same's post stands.
                                Last edited by tabibito; 06-01-2019, 02:10 PM.
                                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                                Scripture before Tradition:
                                but that won't prevent others from
                                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment