Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Innerancy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
    No - it doesn't. Koine Greek is not English. The rules of grammar and syntax are not always the same.
    Please let us refer to Greek.

"WE" in 1 Thess 4:17 is the Greek word "hemeis" which is defined as follows;

ἡμεῖς (hēmeis)
    Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Nominative 1st Person Plural
    Strong's Greek 1473: I, the first-person pronoun. A primary pronoun of the first person I.

https://biblehub.com/parallel/1_thessalonians/4-17.htm

Comment

• Originally posted by Same Hakeem View Post
      Please let us refer to Greek.

"WE" in 1 Thess 4:17 is the Greek word "hemeis" which is defined as follows;

ἡμεῖς (hēmeis)
      Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Nominative 1st Person Plural
      Strong's Greek 1473: I, the first-person pronoun. A primary pronoun of the first person I.

https://biblehub.com/parallel/1_thessalonians/4-17.htm

ross.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by jpholding View Post
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]37454[/ATTACH]
        Is it "we" used anywhere to mean "they" in the New Testament?

Comment

ημεις (we) can mean "members of our group" whether or not they are present, and whether or not we personally are included. αυτοι (they) usually means "not members of our group." Note the CAN and USUALLY in the explanation - neither applies through all circumstances ... either applies in certain contexts.
          Last edited by tabibito; 06-05-2019, 09:38 AM.
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
          Scripture before Tradition:
          but that won't prevent others from
          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

When I say "We went to war with Germany" I mean "we" as Americans, not me as an individual. It is very common to use "we" to mean a race, people, species, kind, denomination.... "We" (Americans) put a man on the moon! I (personally) watched it on TV.

So, in that sense, yes --- "we" can mean "they".
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              When I say "We went to war with Germany" I mean "we" as Americans, not me as an individual. It is very common to use "we" to mean a race, people, species, kind, denomination.... "We" (Americans) put a man on the moon! I (personally) watched it on TV.

Filed for future reference. And over here is a living example of just how "we" is used to indicate "they" when "they" are members of the same society that we are part of.
              Last edited by tabibito; 06-05-2019, 10:11 AM.
              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Or even "we're going to win lots of games this year" referring to your favorite team in a certain sport.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  Or even "we're going to win lots of games this year" referring to your favorite team in a certain sport.
                  Absolutely -- driving home from an Astro's game yelling "WE WON!!!!" and never broke a sweat.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

As folks hereafter point out, it's a frequent grammatical phenomenon, and it would also be typical of collectivist societies to speak of one's self and one's group in the collective. So stop being a fundamentalist moron.

Comment

• Originally posted by jpholding View Post
                      As folks hereafter point out, it's a frequent grammatical phenomenon, and it would also be typical of collectivist societies to speak of one's self and one's group in the collective. So stop being a fundamentalist moron.
                      He has no idea what a synecdoche is apparently.

Comment

• It seems Hakeem is having a bit of a problem seeing my posts. I will try again, even bigger.

Hakeem, do you believe that Allah destroyed all life on earth except for Noah and his family in the flood? Including women and children and sheep?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          Hakeem, do you believe that Allah destroyed all life on earth except for Noah and his family in the flood? Including women and children and sheep?
                          And when my wife says "we need to clean out the flower beds and add some mulch", she doesn't mean "WE" at all --- she means "YOU".

Comment

And when my wife says "we need to clean out the flower beds and add some mulch", she doesn't mean "WE" at all --- she means "YOU".
                            Yours too?

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                              ημεις (we) can mean "members of our group" whether or not they are present, and whether or not we personally are included. αυτοι (they) usually means "not members of our group." Note the CAN and USUALLY in the explanation - neither applies through all circumstances ... either applies in certain contexts.
                              Please support your above statement with example from the New testament.

Comment

Please support your above statement with example from the New testament.
                                It is adequately supported by what others here have posted. The Bible is not a grammar text.
                                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment