Thread: Why is man called "zâkâr" in ancient Hebrew?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Why is man called "zâkâr" in ancient Hebrew?

See here .

It comes from a root which means "to remember". I've seen an explanation saying that the root can also mean "pointed" and hence, refers to the male organ. I've also seen it said that it refers to men's functions in public. Can anyone explain this to me?
    -The universe begins to look more like a great thought than a great machine.
    Sir James Jeans

-This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
    Sir Isaac Newton

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    On the link you provided, well down the page:

Nm) rkz (זכר ZKR) - I. Memorial:A remembering and action based on a past even. II. Male:The one of the family that remembers and passes down the family history through story and family name. Also the one who acts and speaks for the family. III. Ram:The male member of the flock. [Aramaic only] [df: rkd] KJV (107): male, man, child, mankind, him, ram - Strongs: H1798 (דְּכַר), H2143 (זֶֶכֶר), H2145 (זָכָר)
    και εκζητησατε με και ευρησετε με οτι ζητησετε με εν ολη καρδία υμων

Faith
    Ultramontane Papist XPian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Weirdness View Post
    See here .

It comes from a root which means "to remember". I've seen an explanation saying that the root can also mean "pointed" and hence, refers to the male organ. I've also seen it said that it refers to men's functions in public. Can anyone explain this to me?
    Perhaps it is a loanword from Akkadian - as here: http://www.assyrianlanguages.org/akk...71&language=id

See also, from the Pennsylvania Sumerian Dictionary, this (rather small - sorry !) screenshot - *zikaru* is the third word down, and the relevant entry.
    Attached Images Attached Images