Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Why do Republicans have so many sex scandals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    As the Democrat mantra explains it: Who cares? It's just about sex which is nobody else's business

Btw, O'Reilly is registered as an Independent.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
      Bill O'Reilly's latest sex scandals have rounded out the sexual-assaulter Republican trifecta of Donald Trump, Roger Ailes, and Bill O'Reilly....
      When Republicans do it, it's hypocrisy because they publicly take a stand against it. On the other hand, when Democrats do it, they're just being the animals they are.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        When Republicans do it, it's hypocrisy because they publicly take a stand against it. On the other hand, when Democrats do it, they're just being the animals they are.

Personally I think that Republicans should be held to a higher standard when it comes to this sort of behavior. After all they like to portray themselves as the champions of "family values." Kind of like how those in law enforcement are held to a higher standard when they get convicted of breaking the law.

Conversely, Democrats are the party of higher taxes and how (in Joe Biden's words), it is "patriotic" to pay them. So when a Democrat gets caught cheating on their taxes like, for instance, Timothy Geithner was, then he should be held to a higher standard rather than made the Secretary of the Treasury.

ETA: Seems like I've said this previously...
        I agree. When a conservative that preaches family values is revealed to have anything but they deserve to take a harder hit than someone who doesn't. It is sort of like a police officer who gets caught stealing or committing other crimes. They often are treated harsher because they were entrusted with enforcing the law not breaking it.

Conversely, liberals who preach that everyone needs to pay their share and keep raising taxes ought to take a harder hit when they're exposed as being a tax cheat. But for some reason that is not what happens. In fact, the opposite often happens. Timothy Geithner, who was cheating on his taxes for years was made the Secretary of the Treasury (which oversees the IRS) and merely had to pay his back taxes without the massive fines, penalties and interest that the IRS typically tacks on to Americans who aren't prominent Democrat politicians.

The same thing happened to Tom Daschle who was U.S. Senate Majority Leader (who had sanctimoniously lectured "Make no mistake, tax cheaters cheat us all, and the IRS should enforce our laws to the letter") and Charlie Rangel the chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee (the chief tax-writing committee). The latter was such a flagrant violator he was formerly censured by Congress and took a leave of absence as chair (a position he lost when Republican won control of the House later that year), but both merely paid their back taxes. IIRC, the same thing with Senator Claire McCaskill (one of the richest members of Congress) who merely had to pay the $287,273 in four years of back taxes that she owed.

The point is that not only do liberal Democrats not suffer a bigger hit when they get caught in acts of blatant hypocrisy, they almost always get off lighter than what an average citizen does who commits similar acts.

But lets get back to something more akin to what Ailes was supposedly doing at Fox News.

The New York Times, which adores scolding anyone and everyone that they have judged to have discriminated against someone, is currently facing a federal class action (there are something like 50 people complaining) workplace lawsuit for, what else, discriminating. CEO Mark Thompson is accused of fostering a culture of discrimination based on age, gender and race. The suit claims that older female and black employees are being pushed out in favor of young, white men.

But for some funny reason Starlight and the others decrying Fox are mum about this
        Last edited by rogue06; 04-13-2017, 04:19 PM.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Personally I think that Republicans should be held to a higher standard when it comes to this sort of behavior. After all they like to portray themselves as the champions of "family values." Kind of like how those in law enforcement are held to a higher standard when they get convicted of breaking the law.

Conversely, Democrats are the party of higher taxes and how (in Joe Biden's words), it is "patriotic" to pay them. So when a Democrat gets caught cheating on their taxes like, for instance, Timothy Geithner was, then he should be held to a higher standard rather than made the Secretary of the Treasury.
          19SHARPTON-master1050.jpg

As Sharpton Rose, So Did His Unpaid Taxes
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]21898[/ATTACH]

As Sharpton Rose, So Did His Unpaid Taxes
            Just one of the many over at MSNBC who keeps calling on others to "Pay their fair share" but won't do so themselves:

And as I posted on the Funny Political Pictures thread:

Comment

why don't they arrest him for tax evasion?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                why don't they arrest him for tax evasion?
                Which one? Geithner? Daschle? Rangel? Sharpton? Neblett? Soros?[1] Or maybe someone not mentioned so far like Warren Buffet who famously groused that he isn't paying enough taxes while hiring a battalion of lawyers to make sure he doesn't and actually owes a billion dollars in back taxes. Or

1. Since you said "him" I'm guessing that it is safe to eliminate McCaskill, Harris-Perry and Reid (yes, I'm assuming gender here)

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                  Bill O'Reilly's latest sex scandals have rounded out the sexual-assaulter Republican trifecta of Donald Trump, Roger Ailes, and Bill O'Reilly.

And the Republican governor of Alabama resigned today due to (using illegal measures to cover up) a sex scandal.

Amusingly there is a wikipedia list of federal political sex scandals in the US. Since 2000, there have been 12 Republican scandals and 6 Democrat ones. In the 90s there were 11 Republican scandals and 6 Democrat ones.

Seriously what is it with Republicans and sex scandals? Is there something in the water that makes Republicans particularly prone to adultery? Does all the "family values" talk set them off? Or is it that evangelical Christians are more prone it to due to the sexually repressive teachings being the equivalent of "don't think of an elephant" and all they can do all day is think about the potential affair and what a big temptation it is for them?

In the case of Trump, Ailes and O'Reilly, I think it's just that they are really stupid people and don't understand the correct social behaviors when it comes to hitting on women appropriately. Somebody needs to sit them down and have a version of 'the talk' with them, but where it is explained what it is appropriate versus inappropriate to do when flirting with a woman.
                  http://www.alternet.org/story/155253...sex_hypocrites

Comment

I've a theory that the pressure to conform so restricts conservatives that tiny problems are more likely to balloon into really big problems.
                    Sort of how a ball of clay in your hand is a mess that becomes even a bigger mess if you squeeze it.

So too, very legalistic systems have a tendency not to fix sin problems but to distort them even further.
                    The inability to be honest about one's pain isolates the person and pushes them into even worse deviancy.
                    Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

I find it interesting that liberals seem to think that being a hypocrite is worse than being a sexual deviant.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        I find it interesting that liberals seem to think that being a hypocrite is worse than being a sexual deviant.
                        For the liberal the word 'hypocrite' is like 'racist'.
                        It doesn't actually mean anything - it is a knee jerk response, a word you vomit at the opposition when you've lost track of what is happening.
                        Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

A few years ago a study showed that liberal politicians were well over twice as likely to be involved in scandals involving money (tax cheats and bribery IIRC) than conservatives. Is it because they are so concerned with taking and spending other folk's money that they think they are somehow exempt from the laws regarding such behavior?

Comment

A few years ago a study showed that liberal politicians were well over twice as likely to be involved in scandals involving money (tax cheats and bribery IIRC) than conservatives. Is it because they are so concerned with taking and spending other folk's money that they think they are somehow exempt from the laws regarding such behavior?
                            Conservatives like to accuse liberals of sexual misconduct but are actually more likely to be guilty of it.
                            Liberals like to accuse conservatives of fiscal misconduct but are actually more likely to be guilty of it.

That is really all you need to know about human nature in a nutshell.

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
                              Conservatives like to accuse liberals of sexual misconduct but are actually more likely to be guilty of it.
                              Liberals like to accuse conservatives of fiscal misconduct but are actually more likely to be guilty of it.

That is really all you need to know about human nature in a nutshell.
                              And that they all have butts and armpits.

Comment

Which one? Geithner? Daschle? Rangel? Sharpton? Neblett? Soros?[1] Or maybe someone not mentioned so far like Warren Buffet who famously groused that he isn't paying enough taxes while hiring a battalion of lawyers to make sure he doesn't and actually owes a billion dollars in back taxes. Or

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21902[/ATTACH]

1. Since you said "him" I'm guessing that it is safe to eliminate McCaskill, Harris-Perry and Reid (yes, I'm assuming gender here)
                                Didn't they get Capone for pretty much the same thing? Or is it different if you file your taxes but don't pay them, as opposed to not filing them in the first place?

Comment