Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 'Bible Answer Man' converts to Orthodoxy

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah View Post
    My question is, when you move from one Christian denomination to another is it really conversion?
    The Orthodox Church does not consider itself a denomination (neither does the Roman Catholic Church).
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    The Orthodox Church does not consider itself a denomination (neither does the Roman Catholic Church).
    Neither does Calvary Chapel.

Meanwhile, Mormons consider themselves Christians.

We need an official label-assigning committee.
    Semipelagiageislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

3. Amen Obsidian amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The Stone-Campbellite Church of Christ is very insistent that it isn't a denomination. All churches are independent, even though they generally believe pretty much the same thing.

Having said that, the word "demonination" generally implies something much smaller than one of the three major branches of Christianity.
    "Nobody dies because they don't have access to health care." - Rep. Raul Labrador (R, ID)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    ISTM that most churches (and cults) that claim to be the "One, True Church" do not consider themselves to be denominations...
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

6. Amen Obsidian amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlejoe View Post
    ISTM that most churches (and cults) that claim to be the "One, True Church" do not consider themselves to be denominations...
    Most of those groups also have a (lack of) history problem.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

8. Amen Dante amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I miss Walter Martin.
    The last Christian left at tweb

10. Amen Catholicity amen'd this post.
    Theologyweb's Official Grandfather Jedidiah's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I understand that, but the question remains however you phrase it.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Most of those groups also have a (lack of) history problem.
    Agreed! HOwever, supposed history does not necessarily guarantee truth.
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah View Post
    I understand that, but the question remains however you phrase it.
    The question is largely an intra-Protestant thing. Before y'all came along, it was always considered a conversion from heterodoxy to orthodoxy by the receiving group.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlejoe View Post
    Agreed! HOwever, supposed history does not necessarily guarantee truth.
    No, but a lack of history pretty much guarantees a lack of truth.

15. Amen Dante amen'd this post.