Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 'Bible Answer Man' converts to Orthodoxy

Theologyweb's Official Grandfather Jedidiah's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlejoe View Post
    Agreed! HOwever, supposed history does not necessarily guarantee truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    No, but a lack of history pretty much guarantees a lack of truth.
    It is quite reasonable to judge that in the intervening years error has crept into the older bodies. Thus something new could be a return to greater truth not lack of truth.

Keep in mind that I am not saying this is true, just that history does not guarantee truth, and a lack of history does not necessarily mean a lack of truth. In both cases it could go either way.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

2. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah View Post
    It is quite reasonable to judge that in the intervening years error has crept into the older bodies. Thus something new could be a return to greater truth not lack of truth.

Keep in mind that I am not saying this is true, just that history does not guarantee truth, and a lack of history does not necessarily mean a lack of truth. In both cases it could go either way.
    Something new is necessarily NOT a return. I will readily grant that error could creep into older bodies. I refuse to believe, however, that the Church could be wrong for 2,000 years (or 1,500, for that matter).
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

4. Amen Dante amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Eastern Orthodox
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    1. Many years to Hank!

2. Pulpit and Pen is as arrogant as it is ridiculous. Orthodox groups on Facebook have been having a laugh with how much they misunderstand our faith. It's a hoot.

3. Orthodoxy is the true faith and I'm happy to have a Christian apologist join our ranks.
    “The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don’t always spoil the good things and make them unimportant.”
    — The Doctor

6. Amen Dante amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Something new is necessarily NOT a return.
    In Bibleworld, things can be both "A" and "not-A" at the same time (though not necessarily in the same sense). This specifically (but not necessarily exclusively) applies to "newness," as 1 John 2:7-8 show.

I will readily grant that error could creep into older bodies. I refuse to believe, however, that the Church could be wrong for 2,000 years (or 1,500, for that matter).
    Well ok, that's the sort of position that can't be debated.
    Semipelagiageislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    In Bibleworld, things can be both "A" and "not-A" at the same time (though not necessarily in the same sense). This specifically (but not necessarily exclusively) applies to "newness," as 1 John 2:7-8 show.
    If a concept can be shown to be not new, then it's not something to which I'm referring here.
    Well ok, that's the sort of position that can't be debated.
    Sure. I was, perhaps, being that dogmatic to deliberately emphasize my point. It would take considerable evidence to change my mind, but it's conceivable.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Hank Hanegraaf has done a couple interviews reflecting on his experience over the last couple months and what Orthodoxy means to him.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian ( reformed )
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    We can talk about the " rightness " of Hanks conversion, of course. But I think a even more pressing question is warranted. In light of Hanks faith in the truth of Eastern Orthodoxy, should not Hank now step down as the " bible answer man " and president of CRI ? Considering before that his role at CRI was based in a belief in Sola Scriptura and beliefs along the lines of the Founder, Walter Martin ?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sentient 6 View Post
    We can talk about the " rightness " of Hanks conversion, of course. But I think a even more pressing question is warranted. In light of Hanks faith in the truth of Eastern Orthodoxy, should not Hank now step down as the " bible answer man " and president of CRI ? Considering before that his role at CRI was based in a belief in Sola Scriptura and beliefs along the lines of the Founder, Walter Martin ?
    Good question. I don't know the exact terms of his employment with CRI. I'm fairly certain that he (and others at CRI) have given this some thought. I know I had to work through keeping my position here when I converted (as did other staff members who converted to EO here).

I don't recall Walter Martin being a preterist, so presumably there is some wiggle room.

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Is there anything in CRI's Beliefs or "Essentials" incompatible with Orthodoxy?
    Semipelagiageislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    Is there anything in CRI's Beliefs or "Essentials" incompatible with Orthodoxy?
    There are some tensions in the Beliefs (e.g., penal substitution is not the traditional model of the atonement in Orthodoxy), but I don't see anything that goes against the rulings of the Ecumenical Councils, which are the standard.