Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

'Bible Answer Man' converts to Orthodoxy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Bible Answer Man' converts to Orthodoxy

Hank Hanegraaf was received into the Orthodox Church through chrismation last Sunday, along with the rest of his family (and others, looks like).
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Interesting.
    Looks like an additional vacancy in heaven.

(Just kidding, good for him in that he found a community - I always thought his faith sounded a bit sterile on the radio. I'm glad he's finding depth.)
    Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Does that mean he was unorthodox before?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

You're close.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

James White gonna turn red and 'splode....

I'll have to chat with my contacts at CRI about this. I certainly don't object. I've been mistaken for a member of the Orthodox church more than once -- and I find them a darned sight better when it comes to a focus on education, compared to many Protestant churches.

Wherp...a fundy blog did turn red and 'splode already...

http://pulpitandpen.org/2017/04/10/t...ristian-faith/

This is the same bunch that also got mad at people who didn't worship at Geisler's feet, IIRC.

The Orthodox Church is a false expression of Christianity, much like the Roman Catholic Church, that is highly driven by graven images and denies the biblical doctrine of salvation by grace alone through faith alone, and instead, trusts in meritorious works and a sacramental system for salvation.
          Good night what a crock of garbage. That crock about graven images in the same thing Dan Barker pulls. And yeah I know the nuances about grace and faith well enough to see what a crock that is, too.

So what is the significance of this? This should be a testimony of the dismal state of the evangelical church in our modern day. There is a sure lack of biblical truth and doctrinal stability to which many can be left wandering.
          This from a bunch of fundy pantywaists like Pulpit and Pen? Get me the Ultra-Supersize Irony Meter, please.

Should this really come as a surprise? If these reports are accurate, and I see no reason why they wouldn’t be (a picture speaks a thousand words), then this is merely an example of what happens when professing Christians elevate something other than Scripture as the final authority on all things.
          Yeah you know, like contexts that define Scripture.

In an article by Ken Ham of Answers in Genesis titled Hank Hanegraaff’s Abuse of Biblical Truth, Ham denounces Hanegraaff’s non-authoritative interpretation of Scripture where he even denies the biblical account of the serpent in the Garden of Eden.
          Oy....look, yeah, I've written articles for both of these guys in the past. I like 'em both. But the way we read the serpent has nothing to do with this.

I may blog about this at the end of the week.

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
            I always thought his faith sounded a bit sterile on the radio.
            Limited-time component mediums like radio are generally not a place one can easily get beyond sounding sterile, apart from screaming like a political talk show host. Meeting him in person, it's much easier to appreciate the depth of his faith.

Comment

No, it means he was Unorthodox.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Wow, the comment section below the article in the link is an alternately entertaining and sad mix of misstatements and doctrinaire denominational positions--from many sides. Although, in actuality I know nothing about most denominations and less than nothing about the Greek Orthodox church, so I can't really say myself.

One Bad Pig, I did a superficial and lazy Google search about whether or not he gives an explanation in his own words and couldn't find anything. I checked out CRI and looked for his own page but found nothing. Do you know if he has published a story of his conversion somewhere that we could read and follow his thought process?

fwiw,
                guacamole
                "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
                Hear my cry, hear my shout,
                Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
                  Wow, the comment section below the article in the link is an alternately entertaining and sad mix of misstatements and doctrinaire denominational positions--from many sides. Although, in actuality I know nothing about most denominations and less than nothing about the Greek Orthodox church, so I can't really say myself.

One Bad Pig, I did a superficial and lazy Google search about whether or not he gives an explanation in his own words and couldn't find anything. I checked out CRI and looked for his own page but found nothing. Do you know if he has published a story of his conversion somewhere that we could read and follow his thought process?

fwiw,
                  guacamole
                  Aside from the little bit in the article itself, I haven't seen anything. I assume he'll address the issue at some point, but didn't want to say anything definitive until he'd actually taken the plunge. Given his background, I'm sure it's not a step he took lightly or in ignorance. I also came to Orthodoxy through reading about the early church, fwiw. N.T. Wright has also touched on theosis with approval here and there (though I can't recall off-hand where exactly), which I found interesting.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    Aside from the little bit in the article itself, I haven't seen anything. I assume he'll address the issue at some point, but didn't want to say anything definitive until he'd actually taken the plunge. Given his background, I'm sure it's not a step he took lightly or in ignorance. I also came to Orthodoxy through reading about the early church, fwiw. N.T. Wright has also touched on theosis with approval here and there (though I can't recall off-hand where exactly), which I found interesting.
                    Thanks. Let us know if anything comes up.
                    "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
                    Hear my cry, hear my shout,
                    Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
                      Do you know if he has published a story of his conversion somewhere that we could read and follow his thought process?

fwiw,
                      guacamole
                      Here's a podcast where he talks a bit about his conversion to Orthodoxy:
                      http://www.oneplace.com/ministries/bible-answer-man/

You might want to read more on this here as well:
                      http://www.pravoslavie.ru/english/102618.htm
                      The fact that science cannot make any pronouncement about ethical principles has been misinterpreted as indicating that there are no such principles; while in fact the search for truth presupposes ethics. - Karl Popper, 1987

Comment

From the above links:

I am now a member of an Orthodox Church, but nothing has changed in my faith. I have been attending an Orthodox church for a long time—for over two years, really, as a result of what happened when I went to China, many years ago. I saw Chinese Christians who were deeply in love with the Lord, and I learned that while they may not have had as much intellectual acumen or knowledge as I did, they had life. And so I learned that while truth matters, life matters more, and I remember flying back from China after spending time with just common people who had a deep, intense love for the Lord, and wondering, “Was I even a Christian?”

I was comparing my ability to communicate truth with their deep and abiding love for the Lord Jesus Christ… One man, by the way, said to me, truth matters but life matters more. In other words, it is not just knowing about Jesus Christ, it is experiencing the Resurrected Christ. As a result of that I started studying what was communicated by the progeny of Watchman Nee with respect to theosis and that drove me back to the early Christian Church.
                        This has to do with a change of position CRI had on the group called The Local Church, which has a lot of membership in China. A whole issue of the Journal was devoted to the reconsideration of the group.

J096-350.jpg

CRI took a lot of heat for that reconsideration from people like James White. As far as I'm concerned White and other critics are culturally ignorant on the subject.

My views on theosis aren't too far from Orthodoxy either.

Comment

Originally posted by jpholding View Post
                          From the above links:

This has to do with a change of position CRI had on the group called The Local Church, which has a lot of membership in China. A whole issue of the Journal was devoted to the reconsideration of the group.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21890[/ATTACH]

CRI took a lot of heat for that reconsideration from people like James White. As far as I'm concerned White and other critics are culturally ignorant on the subject.

My views on theosis aren't too far from Orthodoxy either.
                          what? he is legitimizing watchman Nee and witness Lee? The Troy Brooks thing?

Comment

what? he is legitimizing watchman Nee and witness Lee? The Troy Brooks thing?
                            They re-investigated the movement and decided the original critique of Walter Martin was erroneous.

I have never heard of Troy Brooks before now. After a check I doubt he was significant enough to get their attention, but what's the sum of it as far as you know? I could ask about him next time I visit with one of my friends from CRI.

Comment

Originally posted by jpholding View Post
                              They re-investigated the movement and decided the original critique of Walter Martin was erroneous.

I have never heard of Troy Brooks before now. After a check I doubt he was significant enough to get their attention, but what's the sum of it as far as you know? I could ask about him next time I visit with one of my friends from CRI.
                              Troy was a troll on the old tweb, who was a "disciple" and proponent of Watchman Nee and was a total kook. He currently runs this site: http://biblocality.com/ where he spouts insane nonsense and has a forum where he is basically the only member because he kicks off anyone who doesn't totally agree with him. He even has a few sock puppets of himself there so he can make it look like others are there and agree with him. Pretty sad.

I tell you, if CRI is saying Watchman Nee and his ideas are legitimate, they have lost me as a supporter.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X