Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

'Bible Answer Man' converts to Orthodoxy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
    Agreed! HOwever, supposed history does not necessarily guarantee truth.
    Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    No, but a lack of history pretty much guarantees a lack of truth.
    It is quite reasonable to judge that in the intervening years error has crept into the older bodies. Thus something new could be a return to greater truth not lack of truth.

Keep in mind that I am not saying this is true, just that history does not guarantee truth, and a lack of history does not necessarily mean a lack of truth. In both cases it could go either way.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
      It is quite reasonable to judge that in the intervening years error has crept into the older bodies. Thus something new could be a return to greater truth not lack of truth.

Keep in mind that I am not saying this is true, just that history does not guarantee truth, and a lack of history does not necessarily mean a lack of truth. In both cases it could go either way.
      Something new is necessarily NOT a return. I will readily grant that error could creep into older bodies. I refuse to believe, however, that the Church could be wrong for 2,000 years (or 1,500, for that matter).
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

1. Many years to Hank!

2. Pulpit and Pen is as arrogant as it is ridiculous. Orthodox groups on Facebook have been having a laugh with how much they misunderstand our faith. It's a hoot.

3. Orthodoxy is the true faith and I'm happy to have a Christian apologist join our ranks.
        "Concentrate on what you have to do. Fix your eyes on it. Remind yourself that your task is to be a good human being; remind yourself what nature demands of people. Then do it, without hesitation, and speak the truth as you see it. But with kindness. With humility. Without hypocrisy."
        -Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Something new is necessarily NOT a return.
          In Bibleworld, things can be both "A" and "not-A" at the same time (though not necessarily in the same sense). This specifically (but not necessarily exclusively) applies to "newness," as 1 John 2:7-8 show.

I will readily grant that error could creep into older bodies. I refuse to believe, however, that the Church could be wrong for 2,000 years (or 1,500, for that matter).
          Well ok, that's the sort of position that can't be debated.
          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
            In Bibleworld, things can be both "A" and "not-A" at the same time (though not necessarily in the same sense). This specifically (but not necessarily exclusively) applies to "newness," as 1 John 2:7-8 show.
            If a concept can be shown to be not new, then it's not something to which I'm referring here.
            Well ok, that's the sort of position that can't be debated.
            Sure. I was, perhaps, being that dogmatic to deliberately emphasize my point. It would take considerable evidence to change my mind, but it's conceivable.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Hank Hanegraaf has done a couple interviews reflecting on his experience over the last couple months and what Orthodoxy means to him.

sigpic

Comment

We can talk about the " rightness " of Hanks conversion, of course. But I think a even more pressing question is warranted. In light of Hanks faith in the truth of Eastern Orthodoxy, should not Hank now step down as the " bible answer man " and president of CRI ? Considering before that his role at CRI was based in a belief in Sola Scriptura and beliefs along the lines of the Founder, Walter Martin ?
                “Every promise of Scripture is a writing of God, which may be pleaded before Him with this reasonable request, ‘Do as Thou hast said.’ The Heavenly Father will not break His Word to His own child.”― Charles H. Spurgeon

Comment

Originally posted by Sentient 6 View Post
                  We can talk about the " rightness " of Hanks conversion, of course. But I think a even more pressing question is warranted. In light of Hanks faith in the truth of Eastern Orthodoxy, should not Hank now step down as the " bible answer man " and president of CRI ? Considering before that his role at CRI was based in a belief in Sola Scriptura and beliefs along the lines of the Founder, Walter Martin ?
                  Good question. I don't know the exact terms of his employment with CRI. I'm fairly certain that he (and others at CRI) have given this some thought. I know I had to work through keeping my position here when I converted (as did other staff members who converted to EO here).

I don't recall Walter Martin being a preterist, so presumably there is some wiggle room.

sigpic

Comment

Is there anything in CRI's Beliefs or "Essentials" incompatible with Orthodoxy?
                    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                      Is there anything in CRI's Beliefs or "Essentials" incompatible with Orthodoxy?
                      There are some tensions in the Beliefs (e.g., penal substitution is not the traditional model of the atonement in Orthodoxy), but I don't see anything that goes against the rulings of the Ecumenical Councils, which are the standard.

sigpic

Comment

Are EO beliefs more along the lines of Christus Victor?
                        "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                          Are EO beliefs more along the lines of Christus Victor?

sigpic

Comment

I'm actually quite favorable to Christus Victor.
                            "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Question. Was there a part in his chrismation where he had to renounce things he believed as a Protestant Evangelical ? If so, which ecumenical counsels are usually sighted as reasons for him having to renounce the main and basic principles of the Protestant Reformation ?
                              “Every promise of Scripture is a writing of God, which may be pleaded before Him with this reasonable request, ‘Do as Thou hast said.’ The Heavenly Father will not break His Word to His own child.”― Charles H. Spurgeon

Comment

Originally posted by Sentient 6 View Post
                                Question. Was there a part in his chrismation where he had to renounce things he believed as a Protestant Evangelical ? If so, which ecumenical counsels are usually sighted as reasons for him having to renounce the main and basic principles of the Protestant Reformation ?
                                No. He recited the Nicene Creed, and pledged to hold to the teachings of the ecumenical councils.

sigpic

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X