Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Bible Answer Man' converts to Orthodoxy

Faith
    Russian Orthodox
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by guacamole View Post
    Do you know if he has published a story of his conversion somewhere that we could read and follow his thought process?

fwiw,
    guacamole
    Here's a podcast where he talks a bit about his conversion to Orthodoxy:
    http://www.oneplace.com/ministries/bible-answer-man/

You might want to read more on this here as well:
    http://www.pravoslavie.ru/english/102618.htm

tWebber
    Faith
    Toonist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    From the above links:

I am now a member of an Orthodox Church, but nothing has changed in my faith. I have been attending an Orthodox church for a long time—for over two years, really, as a result of what happened when I went to China, many years ago. I saw Chinese Christians who were deeply in love with the Lord, and I learned that while they may not have had as much intellectual acumen or knowledge as I did, they had life. And so I learned that while truth matters, life matters more, and I remember flying back from China after spending time with just common people who had a deep, intense love for the Lord, and wondering, “Was I even a Christian?”

I was comparing my ability to communicate truth with their deep and abiding love for the Lord Jesus Christ… One man, by the way, said to me, truth matters but life matters more. In other words, it is not just knowing about Jesus Christ, it is experiencing the Resurrected Christ. As a result of that I started studying what was communicated by the progeny of Watchman Nee with respect to theosis and that drove me back to the early Christian Church.
    This has to do with a change of position CRI had on the group called The Local Church, which has a lot of membership in China. A whole issue of the Journal was devoted to the reconsideration of the group.

J096-350.jpg

CRI took a lot of heat for that reconsideration from people like James White. As far as I'm concerned White and other critics are culturally ignorant on the subject.

My views on theosis aren't too far from Orthodoxy either.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpholding View Post
    From the above links:

This has to do with a change of position CRI had on the group called The Local Church, which has a lot of membership in China. A whole issue of the Journal was devoted to the reconsideration of the group.

J096-350.jpg

CRI took a lot of heat for that reconsideration from people like James White. As far as I'm concerned White and other critics are culturally ignorant on the subject.

My views on theosis aren't too far from Orthodoxy either.
    what? he is legitimizing watchman Nee and witness Lee? The Troy Brooks thing?

tWebber
    Faith
    Toonist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    what? he is legitimizing watchman Nee and witness Lee? The Troy Brooks thing?
    They re-investigated the movement and decided the original critique of Walter Martin was erroneous.

I have never heard of Troy Brooks before now. After a check I doubt he was significant enough to get their attention, but what's the sum of it as far as you know? I could ask about him next time I visit with one of my friends from CRI.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpholding View Post
    They re-investigated the movement and decided the original critique of Walter Martin was erroneous.

I have never heard of Troy Brooks before now. After a check I doubt he was significant enough to get their attention, but what's the sum of it as far as you know? I could ask about him next time I visit with one of my friends from CRI.
    Troy was a troll on the old tweb, who was a "disciple" and proponent of Watchman Nee and was a total kook. He currently runs this site: http://biblocality.com/ where he spouts insane nonsense and has a forum where he is basically the only member because he kicks off anyone who doesn't totally agree with him. He even has a few sock puppets of himself there so he can make it look like others are there and agree with him. Pretty sad.

I tell you, if CRI is saying Watchman Nee and his ideas are legitimate, they have lost me as a supporter.

Faith
    Russian Orthodox
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Troy was a troll on the old tweb, who was a "disciple" and proponent of Watchman Nee and was a total kook. He currently runs this site: http://biblocality.com/ where he spouts insane nonsense and has a forum where he is basically the only member because he kicks off anyone who doesn't totally agree with him. He even has a few sock puppets of himself there so he can make it look like others are there and agree with him. Pretty sad.

I tell you, if CRI is saying Watchman Nee and his ideas are legitimate, they have lost me as a supporter.
    About 10 years ago I was at a Protestant camp for training youths identified as potential future church leaders and we were taught something about Watchman Nee, but I completely forgot what it was. Could you brief us about what's problematic about Watchman Nee's beliefs?

tWebber
    Faith
    Toonist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Troy was a troll on the old tweb, who was a "disciple" and proponent of Watchman Nee and was a total kook. He currently runs this site:
    Oh HIM. I think I pulled his chain a couple of times. I don't think he had the brain cells needed to understand Nee's writings or anyone else's for that matter. I wouldn't have trusted him to interpret a cookbook. He'd have turned it into a cult manual

Well you can read that whole issue online if you want:

http://www.equip.org/PDF/EnglishOpt.pdf

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Watchman Nee. I've heard of this guy. He taught while the communist were really cracking down in China. This article jp posted clears up a lot. I first heard of the guy reading Rodney Stark's A star in the East.

Faith
    Ecumenical Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    And now we wait for the likes of John Macarthur and those who follow Reformed theology to condemn him to hell
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

Theologyweb's Official Grandfather Jedidiah's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    My question is, when you move from one Christian denomination to another is it really conversion?
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

11. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.