Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Free will.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seer View Post
    Where did I agree with this definition? The fact is Shuny I have made clear that I do believe there are constraints, some stronger than others. Some easier to over come than others. The discussion of free will is not black and white.
    Hence you are a compatabilist, because what you're acknowledging is not libertarian free-will..
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
      Hence you are a compatabilist, because what you're acknowledging is not libertarian free-will..
      No it is not Tass, there is no hard fast definition of free will.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL
        I think the point that the combatibilists are admitting to is that they agree that we do indeed have free will, that it is influenced or constrained by the construct it operates within is really besides the point, that would be the case no matter what.
        I believe this an unwarranted extreme interpretation of compatabilism by Dennett only one view of the nature of the philosophy of compatibilism.

Actually, as the only alternative I could go with is a flexible determinism that allows only a partial ability to make decisions within a limited decision choice that is predetermined. That is what you describe.

The problem with the libertarian free will perspective is that there is evidence of decisions making process outside the belief in contrary choice within a limited number of possibilities.

Fortunately by the evidence, I believe there are several objectively observed properties of our decision making process that fail to describe a strict determinist perspective.

There is most definitely a chain cause and effect decisions that are to degree influenced by the sequence of cause and effect relationships. The problem is the individual making the decision cannot know the degree of free will involved in each decision. Therefore it is possible that all the decisions of the cause and effects could be predetermined by the collective cause of and effect nature of predetermined events. Therefore it is possible that determinism rules.

I believe there is evidence that 'potential free will' exists, but that is another story.
        Last edited by shunyadragon; 08-13-2017, 07:01 PM.
        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment