Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Feminist: Going outside is racist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feminist: Going outside is racist

Yeah the liberal feminists have officially jumped the shark.

So now apparently outdoor recreation is a white male privilege and therefore misogynist and racist and fat-shaming.

Source: http://everydayfeminism.com/2017/04/outdoor-recreation-isnt-free/

Outdoor Recreation Isn’t Free – Why We Need to Stop Pretending It Is

April 8, 2017 by Emily Zak

Unlike going to the movies, eating at a restaurant, or other “luxuries,” spending time in nature seems free. But not everyone has equal access.

As with travel, marginalized groups face a lot of barriers to outdoor recreation. This leaves the different types of outdoor fun to privileged folks.

Take race, for one. A 2016 study shows more than three in four US young adults who participate in outdoor activities are white. Nearly 80% of National Park visitors are, too.

Like a lot of white people, I learned to ignore the whiteness of myself and other outdoor enthusiasts around me. I didn’t hear backpackers saying overtly racist things or see jerks physically blocking people of color from the trails, so I paid the homogeneity no mind.

It’s easy to overlook inequality when it’s systemic. It’s even easier when we benefit.

We need to acknowledge outdoor recreation’s lack of diversity and inclusion.

We forget that society’s hierarchies of race, gender identity, sexual orientation, body size, and economic class don’t magically disappear in the forest. We deny that society actively discourages millions from playing outside, possibly stopping budding conservation activists.

As Tariq notes, “The more of us who can connect to it, the more we can protect it together.”

Here are a few barriers that marginalize people have to overcome to experience nature.

1. You Need Equipment
    2. Outdoor Gear Doesn’t Fit Everyone

Cost is just one hurdle. Outdoor gear needs to fit.

Fitness culture overall reeks of fat-shaming, for one, which is reflected in workout clothing offerings.
    3. Access to Natural Spaces Is Tangled in Historic Privilege and Oppression
    5. The Day-to-Day Culture Around Outdoor Recreation Is Exclusive

Society’s hierarchies don’t disappear at city limits.

Even when folks manage to go out and climb rocks, kayak a river, or bike down a mountain, people are still subject to unfair stereotyping and microaggressions.
    On top of racism, rape culture persists.

Many outdoor jobs, like wildland firefighting and logging, remain hyper-masculine and painfully heteronormative.

Nature doesn’t have to be a rich, white playground.

However, structures humans put in place – capitalism, colonialism, racism, sexism, and ableism – allow some people to access the outdoors and force others home.
    http://everydayfeminism.com/2017/04/...ion-isnt-free/

© Copyright Original Source

I guess that means that homeless people are privileged racists now.

To protest this gross injustice, I am henceforth boycotting all outdoor recreational activities, and will now spend all of my free time inside.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
      To protest this gross injustice, I am henceforth boycotting all outdoor recreational activities, and will now spend all of my free time inside.
      The sun is racist! it shines white!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        The sun is racist! it shines white!
        No, the sun has recognized its racism and responds by punishing the true culprits: very pale white people such as myself (i.e., by sunburning us).

Edit: You don't see black people getting sunburns, do you? Well, there you go.

Comment

No, the sun has recognized its racism and responds by punishing the true culprits: very pale white people such as myself (i.e., by sunburning us).

Edit: You don't see black people getting sunburns, do you? Well, there you go.
          That's because black people can't go outside because of white privilege.

Comment

That's because black people can't go outside because of white privilege.
            It's just nature's way of telling us, "Check your privilege." Sunburns are basically white privilege tattoos. You might as well get a swastika tattoo and drive around with a confederate flag on your pickup truck. (The racism of pickup trucks is a whole 'nother issue on its own.)

Comment

Yeah the liberal feminists have officially jumped the shark.

Are these people just insane?
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                Are these people just insane?
                go to that link and click on the topics at the top, like "privilege" "race" etc. then look at the headlines. Apparently all they do is try to find things to be victims about. I can't imagine living in a universe where everyone is out to get you. Must be my white male privilege that protects me.

Comment

I find the term "white privilege" to be offensive. Everybody knows that privilege is white and male by definition; only a patriarchal misogynist racist would deny that. Adding the word "white" or even "male" merely serves to remind minorities and women of their underprivileged status, and is simply redundant.

Comment

I find the term "white privilege" to be offensive. Everybody knows that privilege is white and male by definition; only a patriarchal misogynist racist would deny that. Adding the word "white" or even "male" merely serves to remind minorities and women of their underprivileged status, and is simply redundant.
                    I apologize.

Comment

Some of that is a little to out there for me, but I don't see any problem with ideas like women have to be worried about being raped in the wilderness, poor black people tend to live far from nature, tents are expensive, and park employees and hikers can be racist and/or sexist.

Comment

Emily wasn't worth the read.
                        Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                          Some of that is a little to out there for me, but I don't see any problem with ideas like women have to be worried about being raped in the wilderness, poor black people tend to live far from nature, tents are expensive, and park employees and hikers can be racist and/or sexist.
                          1: Women get raped in town quite often in a house full of people. A man can just as easily be raped/shot/assaulted in the wild. That is the nature of solitude.

2: Enjoying nature doesn't require a tent anymore than my morning commute requires an Audi. Just because I cannot have a fancy car like Trout doesn't mean my morning commute is someone 'disadvantaged'.

3: The black woman down at the DMV can be a racist as well.

Emily is of the mindset that if a group of people doesn't have her ideal composition than it is broken.
                          She is an idiot.
                          You can dismiss her without betraying all the things that you believe need to be fixed.
                          Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

My goodness! Just look at all the privilege! How dare they!

web1_portland-homeless-eme_davi-3-_6995818.jpg

Comment

Emily is being racist by assuming only black people are poor.

And PM is being racist by assuming black people only live in cities.

Comment