Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Baptise in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baptise in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit

I am dealing with someone who said:

In the only codices which would be even likely to preserve an older reading, namely the Sinaitic Syriac and the oldest Latin Manuscript, the pages are GONE which contained the end of Matthew 28. Frederick Cornwallis Conybeare (1856 - 9 January 1924) Professor of Theology at the University of Oxford.

Apparently copied from this article:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/re.../1461121/posts

Is this true?

Thank you.

If it is true, what does it matter? In every manuscript where Matthew 28:19 is preserved the phrase "baptise them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit" is included. No one with even an ounce of intellectual integrity will base their arguments about textual corruption on parts of manuscripts that aren't even available to us anymore.

Comment

Conybeare was a dedicated Unitarian (and so had an agenda to follow) and is a century out of date.

The formula is also in the Didache, which is usually dated to c. AD 70.

I'll try to remember to check when I get home (I have a couple books relevant to the question).
      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        Conybeare was a dedicated Unitarian (and so had an agenda to follow) and is a century out of date.

The formula is also in the Didache, which is usually dated to c. AD 70.

I'll try to remember to check when I get home (I have a couple books relevant to the question).

What did you mean when you said Conybeare was out of date?

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
          What did you mean when you said Conybeare was out of date?
          We've discovered more early manuscripts since he wrote.
          Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            We've discovered more early manuscripts since he wrote.
            http://www.answering-islam.org/Shamoun/q_mt28_19.htm

Surely, Conybeare would have been aware of these quotes, but obviously did not include them in his book. Why?

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
              I am dealing with someone who said:

In the only codices which would be even likely to preserve an older reading, namely the Sinaitic Syriac and the oldest Latin Manuscript, the pages are GONE which contained the end of Matthew 28. Frederick Cornwallis Conybeare (1856 - 9 January 1924) Professor of Theology at the University of Oxford.

Apparently copied from this article:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/re.../1461121/posts

Is this true?

Thank you.
              Even if it is true (I don't know, I haven't looked at the manuscripts myself), you'd be hard pressed to find any textual critic in the Western World who believes that the Latin and Syriac editions of the NT preserve an earlier tradition than Sinaiticus and Vaticanus.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X