Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump congratulates new dictator on becoming a dictator

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Trump congratulates new dictator on becoming a dictator

In Turkey, Erdogan has been moving towards becoming a dictator. Over the past several years he's arrested anyone who criticizes him as well as his political opponents, as well as quashing an attempted coup against him. The latest move on the very slippery slope towards complete dictatorship was to hold a referendum that awarded himself the power to enact laws by decree. Unsurprisingly Erdogan (who has sabotaged elections in the past including cutting electricity to 40 different locations during the election and then blaming it on a cat) won the referendum, and so Turkey's vote makes Erdogan effectively a dictator.

How did the so-called "leader of the free world" respond to the rise of this dictator in Turkey? Did he denounce Erdogan? Did he call them ripe for regime change? Nope.
    White House confirms Trump call congratulating Turkish leader:

President Trump phoned Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan to congratulate him on winning a referendum that will grant the foreign leader broader powers, Erdoğan's office and the White House said Monday...

Trump called the Turkish leader to "congratulate him on his recent referendum victory and to discuss the United States’ action in response to the Syrian regime’s use of chemical weapons" earlier this month, according to the White House.

Gotta love those dictators. It's important to call to congratulate them every time.

Trump also seems to love the nutty dictator-President in the Philippines Rodrigo Duterte who has been busy externalizing his own internal struggles with drug addictions by trying to do a genocide against anyone who uses drugs in his country.
    Last edited by Starlight; 04-18-2017 at 01:30 AM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    If Obama asked the Supreme Court to repeal the limit of a president sitting only two terms, conservatives would have a total meltdown. I wonder what they would say if Trump asked this.

Though honestly I doubt he'd ask that. He doesn't seem to be enjoying being a president.

4. Amen Starlight amen'd this post.
    Faith
    circular balloonist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    If Obama asked the Supreme Court to repeal the limit of a president sitting only two terms, conservatives would have a total meltdown. I wonder what they would say if Trump asked this.
    Most conservatives would have a meltdown if Trump did this because they're not in the habit of throwing the Constitution under the bus in order to satisfy short term political goals.
    It was the conservatives on this site who were upset when Trump unilaterally attacked Syria.
    Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

6. Amen Darth Executor, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It's customary for leaders to call other leaders to congratulate them on election victories and to discuss how to work together toward common goals.

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

8. Amen Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
    Faith
    circular balloonist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    It's customary for leaders to call other leaders to congratulate them on election victories and to discuss how to work together toward common goals.
    When Obama does it: He's such a foreign policy genius.
    When Trump does it: He's trying to get Turkey to steal DNC emails.
    Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It was a public referendum (those things Starlight loves) that gave Erdogan his sweeping powers. It's funny that liberals keep calling even elected leaders "dictators" despite the "dictators" usually being a lot more popular than western politicians are in their own countries.

The real issue here is that liberals no longer have any power in Turkey, with the bulk of the public having turned against them. This is predictable (as I have predicted) because Islam already mutated an anti-liberalism "gene". This is entirely a product of liberals failing to breed and a glimpse into the future for all western nations.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    I think Trump is trying to keep Turkey on our side in this fight against ISIS. I wonder what the EU will do about this? Doesn't Turkey want to join the EU?
    "Heaven offers nothing that the mercenary soul can desire. It is safe to tell the pure in heart that they shall see God, for only the pure in heart want to. There are rewards that do not sully motives. A man's love for a woman is not mercenary because he wants to marry her, nor his love for poetry mercenary because he wants to read it, nor his love of exercise less disinterested because he wants to run and leap and walk. Love, by definition, seeks to enjoy its object.” C.S. Lewis

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    . . . and he considers Chinese President Xi Jinping and Putin really really nice guys that I like.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 04-19-2017 at 08:33 PM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    . . . and he considers Chinese President Xi Jinping and Putin really really nice guys that I like.
    How do you know they aren't? Ignorant blather isn't first hand knowledge Frankie boy