Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump congratulates new dictator on becoming a dictator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JimL View Post
    No it isn't customary, no democratic leader in the world, other than Trump called to congratulate the dictator Erdogan. Like Putin, Erdogan just happens to be the type of leader/dictator Trump aspires to.
    Snicker...

http://aa.com.tr/en/turkey/world-lea...dum-win/798500
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
      Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orbán is the only other western leader to congratulate Erdogan

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orbán is the only other western leader to congratulate Erdogan
        From the article:

"According to diplomatic sources, foreign ministers from Hungary, Macedonia, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Sudan, Kenya, and the ---> U.K <----. offered congratulations to Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu in telephone calls. "
        Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
          From the article:

"According to diplomatic sources, foreign ministers from Hungary, Macedonia, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Sudan, Kenya, and the ---> U.K <----. offered congratulations to Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu in telephone calls. "
          Did British Prime Minister Theresa May extend her congratulations or was it from some anonymous generic message through diplomatic channels? I specified "western leaders" who had done so.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Did British Prime Minister Theresa May extend her congratulations or was it from some anonymous generic message through diplomatic channels? I specified "western leaders" who had done so.
            I'll aware you +1 points on a technicality, although in reality the job of a foreign minister would be to speak on behalf of the government (or leader).
            Do you suppose the foreign minister for the U.K. offered congratulations without clearing it with the government?

Also, isn't Turkey a member of NATO?
            Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan calls Europe a “center of Nazism” and a “rotting continent” after a number of EU states cancelled his influence-peddling missions there.

“Europe is no longer a center of democracy, human rights and liberty but of repression, violence and Nazism,” Erdogan told a rally in the west-central city of Balikesir on Thursday.

http://www.presstv.ir/Detail/2017/04...an-Europe-Nazi
              After this, Europe leaders not rushing to congratulate him. Shocking!!!
              Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Jimmy didn't specify Western leaders though, just "democratic leaders"
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I'll aware you +1 points on a technicality, although in reality the job of a foreign minister would be to speak on behalf of the government (or leader).
                  Do you suppose the foreign minister for the U.K. offered congratulations without clearing it with the government?

Also, isn't Turkey a member of NATO?
                  If their Foreign Ministry with a member of the Conservative Party as PM is anything like our State Department when a Republican is president...

Comment

If their Foreign Ministry with a member of the Conservative Party as PM is anything like our State Department when a Republican is president...
                    I already gave you 1 point.
                    You shan't be earning another anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                      After this, Europe leaders not rushing to congratulate him. Shocking!!!
                      The EU is still butt hurt about Brexit. They need to show solidarity in something so as not to look completely toothless, despite being so.
                      That's what
                      - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I already gave you 1 point.
                        You shan't be earning another anytime soon.
                        If I garner enough MG award points™ (or aware points) do I get my own exercise wheel as well?

Comment

I don't have many thoughts of this beyond it reminding me of this bit by Orson Welles.

Comment

As the leader of theologyweb, I called and congratulated Erdogan on his victory and sent him a request to round up the dissidents on tweb like JimL, Starlight, Tassman and Shunyadragon.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              As the leader of theologyweb, I called and congratulated Erdogan on his victory and sent him a request to round up the dissidents on tweb like JimL, Starlight, Tassman and Shunyadragon.
                              Can the world handle that much... errr... in one place?
                              That's what
                              - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

From the article:

Nothing new there. At all. Congratulating heads of state, however odious or unwise one may think their policies, is what other politicians in comparable positions to theirs do. It does not imply approval or agreement. It is not the person, but the office-holder, who is congratulated, because of the office held. In a civilised society, one adopts certain conventions for getting on with heads of state of whose actions one may disapprove on moral grounds.

The UK does not have to agree with all US policy decisions, or with all those made by Israel or Spain or China, in order to be on good terms with them - why should the US have to agree with Pres. Erdogan's policies, or judge them to be morally good, if it is to congratulate him ? And, is the same standard applied to other US decisions that also have moral implications; or to those of other countries ? Consistency in making such judgements is needed, otherwise those judgements are not just. The action of congratulating the new President is not discreditable to the US in any way - it was the right thing to do.

These congratulations are not likely to be construed as foreign approval of his policies by Pres. Erdogan, for the very simple reason that several of those countries have already criticised him for some of them.

It seems to me that criticising those nations that congratulate him on his victory rests on the notion that dealing with a head of state who does unpleasant things is no different in kind from dealing with a private person. Such an equivalence is AFAICS wholly mistaken.
                                Last edited by Rushing Jaws; 04-20-2017, 11:06 AM.

Comment