Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Torture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
    I appreciate your last point but on some level it reads to me like this: Would you rather be lightly tortured for 20 years or have worse torture for 20 years?

I'm not for torture of anyone; however, I wonder how being locked in a 5x8 under constant threat of assault doesn't qualify and torture. I think it may just be a case of getting comfortable with a particular type of torture and not viewing it as cruel when it is very cruel. When someone says, "I'm against torture but I'm for putting people in little boxes away from sunlight for decades" it sound contradictory to me.
    We have the words "discomfort" and "pain". The line can be blurry between the two, but we can differentiate them. If you feel that all discomfort is pain, then your definitions are too loose, and you need to tighten them up. Captivity can be uncomfortable. When it strays into the pain category, then it might be considered torture. However, if you consider all captivity to be torture, then your definitions are too loose, and you need to tighten them up. We have international conventions on what is considered to be torture, as well as national laws.

I don't have an absolute "code against torture". As I said, my position is based on the Golden Rule.
    Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Yttrium View Post
      We have the words "discomfort" and "pain". The line can be blurry between the two, but we can differentiate them. If you feel that all discomfort is pain, then your definitions are too loose, and you need to tighten them up. Captivity can be uncomfortable. When it strays into the pain category, then it might be considered torture. However, if you consider all captivity to be torture, then your definitions are too loose, and you need to tighten them up. We have international conventions on what is considered to be torture, as well as national laws.

I don't have an absolute "code against torture". As I said, my position is based on the Golden Rule.
      Torture is not synonymous with pain.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Torture is not synonymous with pain.
        Nor is captivity synonymous with discomfort.

Comment

Torture is not synonymous with physical pain.
          I'm watching people absolutely distort the meaning of words in order to avoid being guilty of advocating cruel treatment of others.
          For most people here torture is what other guys do, usually brown skinned people or perhaps the Chinese, that involves dark rooms and screaming.

Put these in your personal order of preference:
          1: Weekend of water boarding.
          2: Death penalty
          3: 40 years in a 5x8 box, eating reject food, under constant threat of rape, surrounded by the ugliest souls of all mankind.

For me personally they're already in the order of my preference.
          I'd rather die than go through what we put inmates through while patting ourselves on the back for not being cruel.
          Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

I didn't claim all captivity was torture.
            I was pretty specific: 5x8 cell for 23 hrs. a day, harsh conditions, no freedom whatsoever.

Since you're intent on missing the point or otherwise derailing the thread I'll leave off with you here.
            Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

I'm watching people absolutely distort the meaning of words in order to avoid being guilty of advocating cruel treatment of others.
              For most people here torture is what other guys do, usually brown skinned people or perhaps the Chinese, that involves dark rooms and screaming.

Put these in your personal order of preference:
              1: Weekend of water boarding.
              2: Death penalty
              3: 40 years in a 5x8 box, eating reject food, under constant threat of rape, surrounded by the ugliest souls of all mankind.

For me personally they're already in the order of my preference.
              I'd rather die than go through what we put inmates through while patting ourselves on the back for not being cruel.
              1, 3, 2.

Comment

Nor is captivity synonymous with discomfort.
                You were the one making the comparison.

Torture can be physical or mental.

Anyone who has traveled 6 hours in a car with 2 kids can attest to that.

Comment

1, 3, 2.
                  You obviously getting the point being made here.
                  If you prefer A over B how is A torture but B is not torture.

It would be interesting to run a survey where you have a group of prisoners watch a water boarding session and see how many of them will be willing to endure that to then be immediately released.

Comment

You obviously getting the point being made here.
                    If you prefer A over B how is A torture but B is not torture.

It would be interesting to run a survey where you have a group of prisoners watch a water boarding session and see how many of them will be willing to endure that to then be immediately released.
                    I did not say anything about any A or B! stop putting letters in my mouth!

Comment

You were the one making the comparison.

Torture can be physical or mental.

Anyone who has traveled 6 hours in a car with 2 kids can attest to that.
                      Was something I said confusing? I guess so, since MG thinks I'm derailing the thread. If you're not confused, I sure am. I thought I was on topic. I'll just leave now.

Comment

Was something I said confusing? I guess so, since MG thinks I'm derailing the thread. If you're not confused, I sure am. I thought I was on topic. I'll just leave now.
                        If people don't see things my way then by definition they're derailing the thread.
                        If you would of taken the time to review the Civics 101 rules before participating you'd of known.

Comment

well you said:

I read that as you saying that if something is just uncomfortable then it can't be torture. That torture is equated with pain. But not always. Torture can be mental. And the mental torture can be as bad or worse than physical torture. For some people, sitting in a cell for 24 hours a day with absolutely no human contact can be much more torturous than 8 hours of physical pain.

Comment

Would it be torture to listen to the song that never ends for 72 hours straight?
                            If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                              Would it be torture to listen to the song that never ends for 72 hours straight?
                              Then it wouldn't be the song that never ended.
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                                Well yes, if a certain unnamed Gerbil was doing the singing...
                                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment