Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A compressed election cycle

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

A compressed election cycle

The UK is about to demonstrate (probably) how to run a national election in only 8 weeks.

Predictions:
    - Scotland will somehow manage to get even yellower
    - The youngest MP elected this time will be older than the youngest MP elected last time
    - Conservatives will do much worse than the current polling of 42.6% vote share
    - UKIP will do badly because they're irrelevant following the Brexit result
    - Libdems will do better than last time (they could hardly do worse)
    - MRLP will lose their deposit again
    - There won't be a landslide in any direction
    - No email servers will be hacked
    - The Russians won't interfere
    - No major government post-holders or opposition leaders will be ousted
    - None of the 'merkins here will care in the slightest
    - I will try to stay up for the results but not succeed
    - I will wake up just as surprised as I was over the last two national results.

Anyone else want a stab?
    JohnMartin: "My assertions are fact. They are so fact that even when you deny them, you assert them by implication as shown above.
    Hansgeorg: "3½ is not a number"
    37818: "What makes you think you are self aware?"

2. Amen Starlight amen'd this post.
    Faith
    circular balloonist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    What do your newscasters talk about during the news hour?
    This does go a long way towards explaining your interest in our elections.
    Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Is the UK a real country?
    The settled happiness and security which we all desire, God withholds from us by the very nature of the world: but joy, pleasure, and merriment, He has scattered around. We are never safe, but we have plenty of fun, and some ecstasy. It is not hard to see why. The security we crave would teach us to rest our hearts in this world and pose an obstacle to our return to God” C.S. Lewis

5. Amen Meh Gerbil amen'd this post.
    Faith
    circular balloonist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    Is the UK a real country?
    From the way he talks about the elections it kind of sounds like some sort of fairy land full of gumdrops, glitter, and roaming bands of unicorns.

BTW, I'm sure Roy was being ironic.
    For anyone from a country that has a monarchy to bag on a republic that has never had one would be laughable.
    Our elections might be a bit dirty at times but we don't have a royal family.
    Imagine the embarrassment of that.
    Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
    From the way he talks about the elections it kind of sounds like some sort of fairy land full of gumdrops, glitter, and roaming bands of unicorns.

BTW, I'm sure Roy was being ironic.
    For anyone from a country that has a monarchy to bag on a republic that has never had one would be laughable.
    Our elections might be a bit dirty at times but we don't have a royal family.
    Imagine the embarrassment of that.
    Wait - I thought the Kennedys were Royalty...
    The settled happiness and security which we all desire, God withholds from us by the very nature of the world: but joy, pleasure, and merriment, He has scattered around. We are never safe, but we have plenty of fun, and some ecstasy. It is not hard to see why. The security we crave would teach us to rest our hearts in this world and pose an obstacle to our return to God” C.S. Lewis

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Wait. the UK has a government?

Who cares?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Wait. the UK has a government?

Who cares?
    Isn't the UK a soccer (sorry football) team? Theresa May is the head cheer leader - right?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I heard that there might be other countries out there with their own governments and ways of life, but it is probably just some rumor.

11. Amen Meh Gerbil amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I heard that there might be other countries out there with their own governments and ways of life, but it is probably just some rumor.
    Really? Something other than the USA? Strange...

13. Amen Meh Gerbil amen'd this post.
    Faith
    circular balloonist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Hogwarts, Chronicles of Narnia: The U.K. is a setting for fantasy novels and nothing more.

15. Amen Carrikature amen'd this post.