Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Book Plunge: The Qur'an In Context

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book Plunge: The Qur'an In Context

How do we study the Qur'an?

The link can be found here.

-----

What do I think of Mark Robert Anderson's book published by IVP? Let's plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

The Qur'an for many Christians is a very foreign book. Some people have tried to read it and yet have not made it past the second sura. The style of writing is different to most Christians and does not seem like an engaging work, but the reality is that Christians need to understand this work. Whatever you think of Islam, the Qur'an is the holy book of this faith and it has shaped the world greatly.

Anderson has written a book to help us in its text. Anderson urges us rightly to try to drop our preconceptions and approach the book seriously and seek to understand the way it was written, the why, and the historical context. Even if you don't think it's holy Scripture, the Qur'an still should be understood on its own terms. That requires work, just like understanding the Bible does. I have been a long opposition to people not bothering to study the historical context of the Bible and yet speaking on it. I say the same for the Qur'an.

Anderson goes through piece by piece and then compares what he finds to the Bible. There is no doubt on my part he wants to be as fair as he can to the Qur'an. He also addresses the question of if we worship the same God or not. I think we could say that we have that as our intention and I think that Anderson does argue that, but there can be no doubt the descriptions of Allah and YHWH are vastly different.

Anderson also wants us to study the world of 7th century Arabia. What was going on? What were Christians and Jews and pagans all saying? How did Muhammad approach this world?

Next comes a long look at the worldview of the Qur'an. What does it say about evil? What does it say about Adam? What must one do to be saved? All of these have marked differences and Anderson has many questions about whether the system in the Qur'an is really coherent or not.

Jesus is a big topic. The problem for the view of Jesus in the Qur'an is that it's really downplaying. Very little is said about the ministry and teaching of Jesus. Much comes from non-canonical sources and its depiction of the Trinity is highly lacking. The Qur'an says Jesus is the Messiah, but divests this of any real meaning at all.

Amazingly, you can have many in-depth looks at the lives of other people in the Bible, but with Jesus, you get nothing like that. You don't understand what His ministry was and why He came. It simply looks like Jesus is only there to point to Muhammad.

Ah yes, but what about the crucifixion? The Qur'an is clear on that and that's that Jesus did not die on the cross. Anderson disputes that and I have to say he makes a highly highly compelling case. I have long thought that Islam denies that Jesus was crucified, and many Muslims do, but Anderson made a case that made me rethink if that's what the original Qur'anic author intended and I dare say I will not be as strident until I find a better response to that claim. Anderson bases his claim on what he considers a better reading of that text in light of other texts he thinks are clearer. He contends that others are reading the clear texts in light of this one and changing those in ways that don't fit.

Finally, he wraps things up by asking if we could say the Qur'an is the sequel to the Bible. The answer is decidedly, no. There are too many differences across the board. Still, we should strive to understand the Qur'an in its historical context to have better discussions with the Muslims we encounter.

Anderson's book gives a lot of food for thought. He is kind and fair in his treatment and there is nothing here I can think of that would be seen as "Anti-Muslim" or dare I say it, Islamophobic. I look forward to even seeing what some Muslims think about the material in here.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters

I think the Koran is hard to understand for a couple of reasons. One, it is not a narrative, it is more like the book of Proverbs. A lot of sayings grouped together. and two, there seem to be several different english translations and they are sometimes very different.

Which would you say is the best translation to use?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      I think the Koran is hard to understand for a couple of reasons. One, it is not a narrative, it is more like the book of Proverbs. A lot of sayings grouped together. and two, there seem to be several different english translations and they are sometimes very different.

siam was saying that the Yusuf Ali translation was the best. I personally think it's better to try and look at multiple versions when there are differences.

ETA: I'd like to see this argument that the Koran doesn't deny the crucifixion, because what I've read it's pretty explicit in denying not only that Jesus was crucified, but that He died at all.
      Last edited by Cerebrum123; 04-18-2017, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Not being an authority in Arabic, I have no idea.

Comment

Don't Muslims generally say that it should only be read in Arabic?
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Yep

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              Don't Muslims generally say that it should only be read in Arabic?
              so muslims have their own version of KJV-onlyists?

Comment

Actually, the Qur'an in Islam can be compared to Jesus in Christianity. The Qur'an is eternal and with Allah and is unchanging.

All those manuscript variations spell a huge problem for Islam.

Comment

so muslims have their own version of KJV-onlyists?
                  Not exactly. Islam teaches that the Koran was revealed in Arabic, is eternal, and a copy of a tablet in heaven. KJV Only types think that the KJV was prevented from translation errors.

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
                    Actually, the Qur'an in Islam can be compared to Jesus in Christianity. The Qur'an is eternal and with Allah and is unchanging.

All those manuscript variations spell a huge problem for Islam.
                    I'd say Mohammed is the Islamic version of Jesus. You have to go to him and ask for forgiveness, he will help Allah judge mankind, and he is the absolute perfect pattern for mankind to follow.

Comment