Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

God & Fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• God & Fun

I just had a dancing session in front of my bathroom mirror (my inner 10 year old girlish tendencies can be rather overwhelming at times). After a few songs and ecstatic experiences my mind drifted toward thoughts about God; namely, "what on earth does God think of this"? Here I am reveling in songs that were in all likelihood created by radically depraved rebels and I started to wonder if God finds this annoying or perhaps it is even kindling his anger? "Scrawly. Stop. I am displeased. This is annoying. Cease and desist immediately."? Or would God look upon this with cheer and even laughter? Or do you think God would "meh" at this?

Perhaps we should look at this from a Holy Spirit empowered angle: If I was striving to be filled and empowered by the Holy Spirit then perhaps I would not even desire to listen to "worldly music"? If I was being sober-minded as the bible commands then I ought to override these fleshly desires and put on worship music instead, and ask that the Lord equip me with spiritual armor so I am able to resist the "prince of the power of the air"? Maybe we as Christian's aren't supposed to have much fun here on earth -- the way is difficult and few find it! The battle for our souls wages! Stop acting like a fool! Worship God with everything you have! This life is but a breath in light of eternity! Go all out for God and his glory! Be more militant than ISIS for the Kingdom of the Light! Have no part in the Kingdom of darkness! Wake up and stop deceiving yourself!

Or can holiness be cool?

Oh, and once again, I do believe I've touched on this topic before but decided to recycle some material as my inner child craves the attention.

Comment

I think it is time to do some comparisons.

Exhibit A: An example of how religious people think God wants them dress themselves:
      amish.jpg

Exhibit B: Examples of how God actually dresses his creatures:
      birds.jpg

fish.jpg

tiger.jpg

Religion ruins everything.
      Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Bonus round question: Based on the examples above which of the following do you think is a better example of how God would dress us if He were allowed to do it?

1: Religion
        amish.jpg

2: Celebration
        Prince-purple-Rain-1.jpg
        Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

God gave us the capacity to have fun and joy. Why wouldn't he want us to express it?

Comment

David danced naked before God. what in the world is wrong with enjoyment? Music? Dance? Cards? Wine? Give me a good example where games and enjoyment are forbidden in the Bible........ and don't take it out of context.
            A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
              David danced naked before God. what in the world is wrong with enjoyment? Music? Dance? Cards? Wine? Give me a good example where games and enjoyment are forbidden in the Bible........ and don't take it out of context.
              Source: TotallyNotMadeUpiations 1:1

Any person who engages in a bit of harmless fun shall be cast in the lake of fire to be tormented for all eternity.

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                There's this old song that is all about following David's example there. In Spanish, one version of the chorus reads:
                Source: Remolineando

Remolineando, remolineando
                Celebraré a Jehová
                Remolineando, remolineando
                Por causa de Él, yo me haré más vil

In English, that would be more or less
                Source: Twirling

Twirling around, twirling around
                I will celebrate the Lord
                Twirling around, twirling around
                Because of Him, I will yet be more vile

("Vile" in the same way David meant it, obviously)

You sing it dancing around. Look it up in Youtube and I'm sure you'll find all sorts of ridiculous-looking dancing, and that's the point, shyness and inhibition be damned.

I haven't heard it or danced it in years, but I do remember it fondly.
                We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore on Christ's behalf: 'Be reconciled to God!!'
                - 2 Corinthians 5:20.
                In deviantArt: ll-bisto-ll.deviantart.com
                Christian art and more: Christians.deviantart.com

Comment

I took ballet, irish, modern and music lessons. I guess I'm going to hell
                  A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                  George Bernard Shaw

Comment

The people who condemn fun will suffer the curse of their own sin, which is the sin of adding to God's word. When you come across those people, pretty much invariably there has been an addition to God's word and an elevation of some stupid tradition.

Comment

Y'all are definitely the kool kidz, delightful responses indeed. Now, let's turn our attention to James 4:1-11:

[Warning Against Worldliness]

4 What causes quarrels and what causes fights among you? Is it not this, that your passions are at war within you? 2 You desire and do not have, so you murder. You covet and cannot obtain, so you fight and quarrel. You do not have, because you do not ask. 3 You ask and do not receive, because you ask wrongly, to spend it on your passions. 4 You adulterous people! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. 5 Or do you suppose it is to no purpose that the Scripture says, “He yearns jealously over the spirit that he has made to dwell in us”? 6 But he gives more grace. Therefore it says, “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.” 7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 8 Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. 9 Be wretched and mourn and weep. Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom. 10 Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you.

11 Do not speak evil against one another, brothers. The one who speaks against a brother or judges his brother, speaks evil against the law and judges the law. But if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law but a judge.

Please pay special attention to the bold portion. Do you think letting go of your inhibitions, losing self-control to varying degrees, and getting lost in songs that often times celebrate alienation from God is appropriate in light of what James touches upon? If the Apostle's, for example, could see me dancing and lip-syncing Taylor Swift in a delirious state -- do you think they would be OK with such behavior or would they liken it to ritualistic activity akin to Greek mystery religion? Didn't Jesus state that one must hate their own life in order to be a disciple? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the language Jesus uses is more forceful -- to the point where one needs to deny their "soulishness" -- even hate it in order to be truly "follow" Christ.

As an aside, precisely what OT scripture verse is James quoting in verse 5?
                      Last edited by Scrawly; 04-19-2017, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
                        Y'all are definitely the kool kidz, delightful responses indeed. Now, let's turn our attention to James 4:1-11:

[Warning Against Worldliness]

4 What causes quarrels and what causes fights among you? Is it not this, that your passions are at war within you? 2 You desire and do not have, so you murder. You covet and cannot obtain, so you fight and quarrel. You do not have, because you do not ask. 3 You ask and do not receive, because you ask wrongly, to spend it on your passions. 4 You adulterous people! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. 5 Or do you suppose it is to no purpose that the Scripture says, “He yearns jealously over the spirit that he has made to dwell in us”? 6 But he gives more grace. Therefore it says, “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.” 7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 8 Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. 9 Be wretched and mourn and weep. Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom. 10 Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you.

11 Do not speak evil against one another, brothers. The one who speaks against a brother or judges his brother, speaks evil against the law and judges the law. But if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law but a judge.

Please pay special attention to the bold portion. Do you think letting go of your inhibitions, losing self-control to varying degrees, and getting lost in songs that often times celebrate alienation from God is appropriate in light of what James touches upon? If the Apostle's, for example, could see me dancing and lip-syncing Taylor Swift in a delirious state -- do you think they would be OK with such behavior or would they liken it to ritualistic activity akin to Greek mystery religion? Didn't Jesus state that one must hate their own life in order to be a disciple? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the language Jesus uses is more forceful -- to the point where one needs to deny their "soulishness" -- even hate it in order to be truly "follow" Christ.

As an aside, precisely what OT scripture verse is James quoting in verse 5?
                        If you are dancing deliriously to Taylor Swift, you should not only end up in hell, but should spend the rest of your life in a mental institution.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly
                          Please pay special attention to the bold portion. Do you think letting go of your inhibitions, losing self-control to varying degrees, and getting lost in songs that often times celebrate alienation from God is appropriate in light of what James touches upon?
                          I do think that God frowns on songs that celebrate alienation from him. If we are going to listen to those at all, then we shouldn't get attached. Since you mentioned Taylor Swift, I think that basically all the hits on her latest album convey messages that are either anti-Christian or just plain stupid.

"Wildest Dreams" --> Please don't forget about me after our one-night stand
                          "New Romantics" --> Commitment is for losers
                          "Style" --> Chase the guys who have broken up with you and/or cheated
                          "Shake it Off" --> Don't judge me for my foolish choices
                          "Blank Space" --> My Borderline Personality Disorder is attractive

The song "Out of the Woods Yet" also seems to celebrate drama, but at least it doesn't convey a blatantly dumb message.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
                            I do think that God frowns on songs that celebrate alienation from him. If we are going to listen to those at all, then we shouldn't get attached. Since you mentioned Taylor Swift, I think that basically all the hits on her latest album convey messages that are either anti-Christian or just plain stupid.

"Wildest Dreams" --> Please don't forget about me after our one-night stand
                            "New Romantics" --> Commitment is for losers
                            "Style" --> Chase the guys who have broken up with you and/or cheated
                            "Shake it Off" --> Don't judge me for my foolish choices
                            "Blank Space" --> My Borderline Personality Disorder is attractive

The song "Out of the Woods Yet" also seems to celebrate drama, but at least it doesn't convey a blatantly dumb message.
                            Well I don't even know those songs or what they are about. The fact that you do means you listen to them and therefore are going to hell.

Comment

They're on the radio. And they're all pretty well-written. If you haven't heard them then you must be living in a cave. But my point is that once I realized the bad messages that were being conveyed, it was sort of a turnoff.

Comment