Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
I agree that that is the current status of the science on the issue. But to my mind the scientific cause of homosexuality ("how did their brains get they way they are?") is not really relevant in the question of "how do we respond to the people who are in this situation?" (And, of course, the correct answer to that question when asked about anyone in any situation is always first and foremost: With love and with kindness.)
I have to agree with this to a point. However we here are not responding in any way to people. We are discussing a condition that I at least consider to be a pathological condition. So this does not even apply to our discussion.

Now given that that's the situation gay people are in, and given that most gay people have all the standard human needs with regard to loneliness and a need for companionship, and a sex drive and a need for sexual fulfillment... what, practically speaking, are their reasonable options? While there might be some of them who happen to have the 'gift of celibacy' and are quite happy remaining single their whole lives, there are going to be plenty of them for whom that's just an implausible option that makes their life a living hell and who have a burning need for life-long companionship with a partner and/or for sexual fulfillment.
The thing is that we are not putting some horrible burden on people at all. We expect the same things from heterosexuals as we do homosexuals. Not having public approval of your sexual "orientation" is not some horrible burden. If you want engage in homosexual behavior you do not need my approval or the approval of society. There are a small percentage of folks who do abuse others. They abuse not only homosexuals but various people that they see as less desirable. This small percentage is not at work here. Not wanting to approve of homosexual marriage is not abuse, it is the expression of an opinion.

I get that I'm probably wasting my time here in trying to make you guys say less horrible things about people, but I'll try.
Who has said "horrible things about" homosexuals? My saying I think is is pathological is not a horrible abusive thing to say about anyone. It just my opinion, and not completely uninformed what ever you may think. As far as the medical establishment not agreeing, I have some things I have expressed before, and it is not really a true description of what has gone on in the last 50 years.

If you're going to represent homosexuality as a mental disability, then at least go with the non-jerk option of (c) and follow the normal rules of decency in cutting people with disabilities some slack and being a bit more generous than usual towards them. Don't do (a), don't be that guy.
I do not see homosexuality as a disability, a pathology, but not a disability. I see no reason to treat homosexuals any differently than others. To object to homosexual marriage is not being unkind, it is simply an expression of my beliefs. If you feel that you must thrust your sexual habits and preferences into the public forum I have no more regard for you than I do for heteros doing the same thing.