Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Donald and Ivanka Trump - Kissy face and huggy bear bear with China?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    what trip to China is that?
    Sorry, miss que, no trip, just cheek warming meetings, and Trump does an about face in China.

What endorsement? A trademark is not an endorsement. It is a legal protective document to keep others from copying your brand. It doesn't help sell your products, or promote your products, it just protects people from pirating your products. Every country in the west recognizes trademarks without any special approval. China is supposed to also, and they did.
    Your being very naive concerning China, and China is not like 'every other country.' There is no legal trademark protection in China without an endorsement by the Chinese Government. This special endorsement by the Chinese government gives priority to access to all the government owned high end stores in China, especially since all of Ivanka's products are made in China and Hong Kong, which is like all of the other Trump lines of clothing made in the Orient.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 04-24-2017, 08:11 AM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      Sorry, miss que, no trip, just cheek warming meetings, and Trump does an about face in China.
      That's what I thought. Basically you have no idea what this is about.

Your being very naive concerning China, and China is not like 'every other country.' There is no legal trademark protection in China without an endorsement by the Chinese Government. This special endorsement by the Chinese government gives priority to access to all the government owned high end stores in China, especially if Ivanka's products are made in China, which is likely given the history other Trump lines of clothing.
      again, it isn't an endorsement. It is a defensive legal tool that protects a company's brand. It is ISSUED by the government to a company. Not an endorsement. Just like when you get a trademark, copyright or patent in the USA. It doesn't mean the US is endorsing your product, just giving you legal protections. A trademark protects a brand name and gives you legal recourse if someone sells a knockoff with your name attached. That's it.

Comment

I don't think frank-n-beans has any idea what a trademark is. It doesn't give a company any sort of competitive advantage other than they have legal recourse if someone rips off their product. All this nonsense about "a government can't issue a trademark without endorsing the company" is just him ignorantly spit-balling and hoping something sticks.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          I don't think frank-n-beans has any idea what a trademark is. It doesn't give a company any sort of competitive advantage other than they have legal recourse if someone rips off their product. All this nonsense about "a government can't issue a trademark without endorsing the company" is just him ignorantly spit-balling and hoping something sticks.
          In fact as far as I can tell China is a member of WIPO, the International convention for Trademarks. File with them and your product and brand is automatically protected in all member countries. So pretty much the leader of China has nothing to do with approving trademarks. WIPO does. So the whole "story" is nonsense.

http://www.wipo.int/trademarks/en/

Comment

Just to be clear this whole issue is about handbags?
            The side that put up hillary Clinton, perhaps the most fundamentally corrupt politician of modern times?

It's a joke people.
            Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
              Just to be clear this whole issue is about handbags?
              The side that put up hillary Clinton, perhaps the most fundamentally corrupt politician of modern times?

It's a joke people.
              exactly. They manufacture outrage to have something to whine about.

Comment

Mar-a-Lago is Trump' kissy face and huggy bear international nest for China and other cheek warming acts with foreign dignitaries. Trump spent four of last weekends at Maro-a-Lago. The government is funding the kissy face huggy bear meeting at Trumps resort, Trumps' private white House.

Source: State Department removes Mar-a-Lago blog post

Trump supporters surprised in Mar-A-Lago
                TOPSHOT - US President Donald Trump, son Barron and wife Melania step off Air Force One upon arrival at Palm Beach International Airport in West Palm Beach, Florida on March 17, 2017.
                Trump is heading to Palm Beach, Florida where he is scheduled to spend the weekend at the Mar-a-Lago estate. / AFP PHOTO / MANDEL NGAN (Photo credit should read MANDEL NGAN/AFP/Getty Images)
                The price of protecting the first family
                The Mar-a-Lago Club January 1, 2017 at Mar-a-Lago in Palm Beach, Florida.
                Do Mar-a-Lago guests get special access to Trump?

PALM BEACH, FL - NOVEMBER 24: A US Coast Guard boat passes through the Mar-a-Lago Resort where President-elect Donald Trump will be spending Thanksgiving on November 24, 2016 in Palm Beach, Florida. The Trump family has spent many of their holidays at their South Florida home and security is expected to be tight in the area. (Photo by Gerardo Mora/Getty Images)
                Trump's Mar-a-Lago resort doubles fees

TOPSHOT - US President Donald Trump, son Barron and wife Melania step off Air Force One upon arrival at Palm Beach International Airport in West Palm Beach, Florida on March 17, 2017.
                Trump is heading to Palm Beach, Florida where he is scheduled to spend the weekend at the Mar-a-Lago estate. / AFP PHOTO / MANDEL NGAN (Photo credit should read MANDEL NGAN/AFP/Getty Images)
                White House briefing Mar a Lago Korea talks answer_00010402.jpg
                Spicer defends missile talk at Mar-a-Lago
                Washington (CNN)The State Department has removed a blog post that touted President Donald Trump's personally owned private Florida club, Mar-a-Lago. The post was available to all embassies through Share America, a State Department program for US embassies.

"The intention of the article was to inform the public about where the President has been hosting world leaders," a small message reads on the Share America website. "We regret any misperception and have removed the post"
                The story is still up on the US Embassy in London's website, but officials say the post is expected to be removed.
                In a markedly promotional blog post from April 5 that could eventually benefit the President's bottom line, should it spur membership or foreign visits, the embassy writes that the property has "become well known as the President frequently travels there to work or host foreign leaders."

Ethics watchdogs and Democratic groups have been closely eyeing Trump's ability to benefit his bottom line through the presidency and this blog post has some questioning whether the government is now helping publicize the property.

The Mar-a-Lago Club has already seemingly benefited from Trump's presidency. The club raised its initiation fee from $100,000 to $200,000 after Trump was elected and members and former members around Mar-a-Lago have said there is now an added cachet with frequently visiting the President's club.

"Aggressively begging foreign countries to funnel money straight into Trump's pocket is a clear violation of the Constitution's emoluments clause, but that's precisely what the State Department is doing by openly promoting one of the Trumps' private businesses," Shripal Shah, vice president of American Bridge, a Democratic firm, said Monday. "It's a gross abuse of taxpayer resources and flagrant violation of the law from an administration that thinks rules don't apply to them."

Acting State Department spokesman Mark Toner wasn't aware of the post when it was raised by reporters on Monday.

© Copyright Original Source

Last edited by shunyadragon; 04-24-2017, 11:07 PM.
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Mar-a-Lago is Trump' kissy face and huggy bear international nest for China and other cheek warming acts with foreign dignitaries. Trump spent four of last weekends at Maro-a-Lago. The government is funding the kissy face huggy bear meeting at Trumps resort, Trumps' private white House.

Source: State Department removes Mar-a-Lago blog post

PALM BEACH, FL - NOVEMBER 24: A US Coast Guard boat passes through the Mar-a-Lago Resort where President-elect Donald Trump will be spending Thanksgiving on November 24, 2016 in Palm Beach, Florida. The Trump family has spent many of their holidays at their South Florida home and security is expected to be tight in the area. (Photo by Gerardo Mora/Getty Images)
                  Trump's Mar-a-Lago resort doubles fees

White House briefing Mar a Lago Korea talks answer_00010402.jpg
                  Spicer defends missile talk at Mar-a-Lago
                  Washington (CNN)The State Department has removed a blog post that touted President Donald Trump's personally owned private Florida club, Mar-a-Lago. The post was available to all embassies through Share America, a State Department program for US embassies.

"The intention of the article was to inform the public about where the President has been hosting world leaders," a small message reads on the Share America website. "We regret any misperception and have removed the post"
                  The story is still up on the US Embassy in London's website, but officials say the post is expected to be removed.
                  In a markedly promotional blog post from April 5 that could eventually benefit the President's bottom line, should it spur membership or foreign visits, the embassy writes that the property has "become well known as the President frequently travels there to work or host foreign leaders."

Ethics watchdogs and Democratic groups have been closely eyeing Trump's ability to benefit his bottom line through the presidency and this blog post has some questioning whether the government is now helping publicize the property.

The Mar-a-Lago Club has already seemingly benefited from Trump's presidency. The club raised its initiation fee from $100,000 to $200,000 after Trump was elected and members and former members around Mar-a-Lago have said there is now an added cachet with frequently visiting the President's club.

"Aggressively begging foreign countries to funnel money straight into Trump's pocket is a clear violation of the Constitution's emoluments clause, but that's precisely what the State Department is doing by openly promoting one of the Trumps' private businesses," Shripal Shah, vice president of American Bridge, a Democratic firm, said Monday. "It's a gross abuse of taxpayer resources and flagrant violation of the law from an administration that thinks rules don't apply to them."

Acting State Department spokesman Mark Toner wasn't aware of the post when it was raised by reporters on Monday.

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

it's shuny's way of avoiding admitting that he was wrong. He is trying to deflect and change the subject.

Basically, "Oh look, a squirrel!"

Comment

Where was his moral outrage when the Clinton Foundation was raking it in by the millions while Hillary was Secretary of State?

Comment

Where was his moral outrage when the Clinton Foundation was raking it in by the millions while Hillary was Secretary of State?
                        yep, and not only that, she gave paid speeches that her and Bill pocketed the money personally. she was milking her position directly. Selling access to the Secretary of State for private functions.

Comment

Not to mention selling a significant potion of our uranium to the Russians.

Comment

Not to mention selling a significant potion of our uranium to the Russians.
                            Putin uses radioactive potions to poison its citizens.
                            Last edited by shunyadragon; 04-25-2017, 06:22 PM.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              In fact as far as I can tell China is a member of WIPO, the International convention for Trademarks. File with them and your product and brand is automatically protected in all member countries. So pretty much the leader of China has nothing to do with approving trademarks. WIPO does. So the whole "story" is nonsense.

http://www.wipo.int/trademarks/en/
                              China's membership is in reality meaningless within China as well as its membership in many international organizations. In 2001 China entered WTO and pledged to change, but living in China i realized nothing changed in the Chinese market. I lived in China nine years, and Trademarks are not respected unless the government chooses which company it wishes support in the Chinese market place. Rip off goods are more common that the real Trademarked item.
                              Last edited by shunyadragon; 04-25-2017, 06:28 PM.

Frank

Comment

China's membership is in reality meaningless within China as well as its membership in many international organizations. In 2001 China entered WTO and pledged to change, but living in China i realized nothing changed in the Chinese market. I lived in China nine years, and Trademarks are not respected unless the government chooses which company it wishes support in the Chinese market place. Rip off goods are more common that the real Trademarked item.
                                That may be, but Ivanka's company (not her) would have gone through WIPO to get the trademark and the trademark is a defensive tool, not an endorsement. Now whether china actually enforces the trademarks or not is a separate matter.

Comment