Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Gutless Berkeley Liberals Fold Again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    It is officially cancelled.

Ann Coulter Says She Will Pull Out of Speech at Berkeley
    By JEREMY W. PETERS and THOMAS FULLER
    April 26, 2017

Ann Coulter said Wednesday that she is canceling her planned speech at the University of California, Berkeley, because she had lost the backing of conservative groups that had initially sponsored her appearance.

Ms. Coulter, in a message to The New York Times, said, “It’s a sad day for free speech.”

Despite insisting that she would go to Berkeley regardless — even after the university said it could not accommodate her on the date and time it had initially scheduled her because of threats of violence — Ms. Coulter said she did not see how she could go forward. The school said she could speak only at a later date and an earlier time of day, when there were likely to be fewer students on campus and less of a likelihood for violent outbreaks.

Late on Tuesday, the conservative group that was helping Ms. Coulter in her legal efforts to force Berkeley to host her, Young America’s Foundation, said it could no longer participate. “Young America’s Foundation will not jeopardize the safety of its staff or students,” the group said.

Without any support, Ms. Coulter said, she was left with little choice. “Everyone who should believe in free speech fought against it or ran away,” she said.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/04/2...o%2F7aT1SbIYLE
    It's every bodies fault but Coulters again.

She threw the university that invited her and the YAF that got her the gig under the bus, instead of realizing that after years of bashing these institutions and their people, she was finally unwelcome at one of these venues.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
      I will never understand why Ann Coulter (and other conservatives like her) will bash secular universities, yet wish to speak at them sooooo badly -- outside the speaking fees of course.

Honestly, after years of her bile towards universities and the young people that attend them, what does she expect?
      They are public universities paid for with their money and have a constitutional right to speak there even if they criticize them, idiot.
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

In light of terrorist threats you manage to down shift to blaming Coulter?
        Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

She threw the university that invited her and the YAF that got her the gig under the bus, instead of realizing that after years of bashing these institutions and their people, she was finally unwelcome at one of these venues.
          So you have no problem with cancelling a speaking event at a public university do to credible threats of violence? And where did she throw the Young America’s Foundation under the bus?
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
            They are public universities paid for with their money and have a constitutional right to speak there even if they criticize them, idiot.
            By this logic atheists should be allowed to give sermons at US churches since tax payers basically subsidize them with a free ride.

Those students pay tuition to be there in far larger financial support for the university than she ever will. If they're not interested in hearing somebody come to their university basically just to insult them and the institution, they have a right to request she be denies the platform.

Coulter made her bed a long time again.

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
              In light of terrorist threats you manage to down shift to blaming Coulter?
              I do not support the threats, but Coulter has been bashing universities for years, yet requests they PAY HER to do to it their face. For once the students said 'no thanks' and everyone is making her into a martyr.

Comment

By this logic atheists should be allowed to give sermons at US churches since tax payers basically subsidize them with a free ride.
                That is stupid even for you.

Those students pay tuition to be there in far larger financial support for the university than she ever will. If they're not interested in hearing somebody come to their university basically just to insult them and the institution, they have a right to request she be denies the platform.

Coulter made her bed a long time again.
                But no one would be forced to listen to her. And since when does an institution like Berkeley need to be protected from unfavorable speech?
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                  So you have no problem with cancelling a speaking event at a public university do to credible threats of violence? And where did she throw the Young America’s Foundation under the bus?
                  I haven't followed the story that closely (mainly because it's Coulter) so I don't know how serious the threat was, or if she was simply exaggerating in order to create headlines - she knows how to make them.

RE: YAF

"I’m so sorry Berkeley canceled my speech. I’m so sorry YAF acquiesced in the cancelation. And I'm so sorry for free speech crushed by thugs."

She also can't seem to make-up her mind on who cancelled the speech, her or the university. I don't think the full story has been told, and probably never will be.

Comment

That is stupid even for you.
                    Given that for many years now you've been assumed by almost every non-Christian (and a few of your peers) to be a frustrating imbecile, I'll take this with a grain of salt.

But no one would be forced to listen to her. And since when does an institution like Berkeley need to be protected from unfavorable speech?
                    Well, nobody would be forced to listen to atheist sermons either.

Comment

I haven't followed the story that closely (mainly because it's Coulter) so I don't know how serious the threat was, or if she was simply exaggerating in order to create headlines - she knows how to make them.

RE: YAF

"I’m so sorry Berkeley canceled my speech. I’m so sorry YAF acquiesced in the cancelation. And I'm so sorry for free speech crushed by thugs."

She also can't seem to make-up her mind on who cancelled the speech, her or the university. I don't think the full story has been told, and probably never will be.
                      I have been following the story. First the thugs mentioned above are the leftists, second she was invited and accepted by the University. Then the University cancelled because of threats, then they offered a different date when most students would not be on campus. Coulter rejected it - then she said she would show up on the original date (tomorrow) and do an open forum outside - that is when the YAF backed out because of credible security issues. And then Anne finally backed out. I mean even Elizabeth Warren and Senator Bernie took Coulter's side on this one.

Comment

Given that for many years now you've been assumed by almost every non-Christian (and a few of your peers) to be a frustrating imbecile, I'll take this with a grain of salt.
                        Unoriginal Sea - basically - I know you are but what am I....

Again a Church is a private institution.

Comment

Attendance for Coulter's speech would be optional.
                          Atheists and other views are expressed at Berkeley frequently and on an ongoing basis.

I think a person can write: "I disagree with speaker X; however, I endorse speaker X's right to free speech without threat of violence."
                          Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Atheists and other views are expressed at Berkeley frequently and on an ongoing basis.

I think a person can write: "I disagree with speaker X; however, I endorse speaker X's right to free speech without threat of violence."
                            I remember the Left's mantra in the 60s. I may not agree with what you say, but I would fight to the death for your right to say it! That was a lie, not only that, those cowards wouldn't fight to the death to save their own kids....

Comment

I said these exact same things years ago when Obama spoke at Notre Dame on this forum, so it's not just Coulter.

Comment

I remember the Left's mantra in the 60s. I may not agree with what you say, but I would fight to the death for your right to say it! That was a lie, not only that, those cowards wouldn't fight to the death to save their own kids....

Comment