Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 48

Thread: Church & State Case At Supreme Court

  1. #1
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    14,177
    Amen (Given)
    563
    Amen (Received)
    2851

    Church & State Case At Supreme Court

    Here is the case in a nut shell:

    Trinity Lutheran Church operates a preschool in Missouri. In 2012, Trinity applied for a playground resurfacing grant from the state. Obtaining the grant would allow Trinity to receive reimbursement for resurfacing its playground with a safer pour-in-place rubber surface made from recycled tires.

    The state awarded 14 grants that year, but while Trinity’s application was ranked 5th out of 44 applications, the church was denied. Missouri determined that its state establishment clause forbids it from providing an available benefit to children—a safe playground surface—simply because the playground is on church property.

    http://www.scotusblog.com/2017/04/ar...theran-merits/
    This looks like religious discrimination to me and the decision could have far reaching consequences.
    Last edited by seer; 04-20-2017 at 02:42 PM.
    "A man by his sin may waste himself, which is to waste that which on earth is most like God. This is man's greatest tragedy and God's heaviest grief." A.W. Tozer

  2. Amen Darth Executor amen'd this post.
  3. #2
    tWebber guacamole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    671
    Amen (Given)
    123
    Amen (Received)
    293
    That seems like a no-brainer from a safety point of view-the state has a vested interest in providing a safe environment for children whether or not that environment is held by a religious non-profit or not. I do worry about the "strings-attached" problems that could face religious organizations that accept state or federal money, and who then find themselves forced to accommodate more demands from the government.

    This could go either way, imo.

    fwiw,
    guacamole
    Currently Listening To

    Dan Carlin's Hardcore History


    "It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job". - Douglas Adams.

  4. #3
    tWebber Roy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,701
    Amen (Given)
    249
    Amen (Received)
    767
    Quote Originally Posted by guacamole View Post
    That seems like a no-brainer from a safety point of view-the state has a vested interest in providing a safe environment for children whether or not that environment is held by a religious non-profit or not.
    Handle-turning of the Lemon factors, surely? I'd say it passes, but I'm not an activist judge
    JohnMartin: "My assertions are fact. They are so fact that even when you deny them, you assert them by implication as shown above.
    Hansgeorg: "3½ is not a number"

  5. #4
    tWebber Meh Gerbil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    circular balloonist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,746
    Amen (Given)
    954
    Amen (Received)
    1577
    1: The court with rule against the church.
    2: A week later CPS will shut down the church for having an unsafe playground.
    3: Six months later the church will face lawsuits from couples claiming that if they'd of had kids instead of aborting, and if those kids went to that church, and if the kids would have used that playground that the child may have been hurt and those images of hurt children have traumatized them.
    4: The church will lose that lawsuit, go bankrupt, and close down.
    5: The building will be bought by a developer and turned into an art studio that features portraits of animals being molested by bikers.
    6: Everyone will talk about how progressive everything is these days.
    God anointed Trump, he can do no wrong, and he's the best thing since Reagan!

  6. #5
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    14,177
    Amen (Given)
    563
    Amen (Received)
    2851
    Quote Originally Posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
    1: The court with rule against the church.
    2: A week later CPS will shut down the church for having an unsafe playground.
    3: Six months later the church will face lawsuits from couples claiming that if they'd of had kids instead of aborting, and if those kids went to that church, and if the kids would have used that playground that the child may have been hurt and those images of hurt children have traumatized them.
    4: The church will lose that lawsuit, go bankrupt, and close down.
    5: The building will be bought by a developer and turned into an art studio that features portraits of animals being molested by bikers.
    6: Everyone will talk about how progressive everything is these days.
    That pretty much sums it up!
    "A man by his sin may waste himself, which is to waste that which on earth is most like God. This is man's greatest tragedy and God's heaviest grief." A.W. Tozer

  7. #6
    tWebber guacamole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    671
    Amen (Given)
    123
    Amen (Received)
    293
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    Handle-turning of the Lemon factors, surely? I'd say it passes, but I'm not an activist judge
    IANAL, so I dont understand what you mean.
    Currently Listening To

    Dan Carlin's Hardcore History


    "It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job". - Douglas Adams.

  8. #7
    tWebber Roy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,701
    Amen (Given)
    249
    Amen (Received)
    767
    Quote Originally Posted by guacamole View Post
    IANAL, so I dont understand what you mean.
    IANALE, but GIMF.
    JohnMartin: "My assertions are fact. They are so fact that even when you deny them, you assert them by implication as shown above.
    Hansgeorg: "3½ is not a number"

  9. #8
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    25,936
    Amen (Given)
    2056
    Amen (Received)
    12692
    well IHATSIATNAFOOR.

  10. #9
    tWebber Psychic Missile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    USA
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,802
    Amen (Given)
    129
    Amen (Received)
    195
    I got three things from that article:
    1. Alito is a moron.
    2. The church's lawyer is more competent than the state's lawyer.
    3. I have no idea why the state is fighting the issue.

  11. #10
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    14,177
    Amen (Given)
    563
    Amen (Received)
    2851
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychic Missile View Post
    1. Alito is a moron.
    What exactly did he say that was so off the wall?
    "A man by his sin may waste himself, which is to waste that which on earth is most like God. This is man's greatest tragedy and God's heaviest grief." A.W. Tozer

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •