Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Digital Telepathy

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Digital Telepathy

Apparently Brain/Computer interfaces are "just around the corner"

Both Facebook and Elon Musk are promising the technology in a few years. And I bet Facebook is working on a way to use it to deliver spam directly into your dreams at night.

But the technology does sound facinating. It would allow communication between people mind to mind, digital telepathy. Who needs a phone?

Here are excerpts from a couple of articles (the whole things are worth the read)

Facebook:

Facebook wants you to use your brain to interact with your computer. Specifically, instead of using something primitive like a screen or a controller, the company is looking into ways that you and I can interact with our PCs or phones just by using our mind. Regina Dugan, the head of Building 8, the company's secretive hardware R&D division, delved into this on stage at F8. "What if you could type directly from your brain?" she asks.

In a video demo, Dugan showed the example of a woman in a Stanford lab who is able to type eight words per minute directly with her brain. This means, Dugan says, that you can text your friends without using your phone's keyboard. She goes on to say that in a few years time, the team expects to demonstrate a real-time silent speech system capable of delivering a hundred words per minute. "That's five times faster than you can type on your smartphone, and it's straight from your brain," she said.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/04/19/...ter-interface/

Elon Musk:

A couple of weeks ago, the Wall Street Journal revealed Elon Musk's latest venture, Neuralink, and its plan for developing brain-machine interface technology.

Musk and his team seem pretty close to making it happen -- the SpaceX and Tesla founder figures they can have something on the market to treat severe brain injuries "in about four years."

We are aiming to bring something to market that helps with certain severe brain injuries (stroke, cancer lesion, congenital) in about four years.

For something usable by people without a disability, Musk believes the timeline is more like eight to ten years. But, if the team can pull off the implantable, biocompatible wireless hardware it's dreaming of, then humans could communicate with computers and even each other with only thought. Elon Musk has repeatedly spoken about the potential danger presented by artificial intelligence, and increasing the "bandwidth" of communication is, he says, a way for humans to be symbiotic with AI instead of being replaced by it.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/04/21/...-in-four-year/

And for your viewing and listening pleasure:

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Apparently Brain/Computer interfaces are "just around the corner"

Both Facebook and Elon Musk are promising the technology in a few years. And I bet Facebook is working on a way to use it to deliver spam directly into your dreams at night.

But the technology does sound facinating. It would allow communication between people mind to mind, digital telepathy. Who needs a phone?

Here are excerpts from a couple of articles (the whole things are worth the read)

Facebook:

Facebook wants you to use your brain to interact with your computer. Specifically, instead of using something primitive like a screen or a controller, the company is looking into ways that you and I can interact with our PCs or phones just by using our mind. Regina Dugan, the head of Building 8, the company's secretive hardware R&D division, delved into this on stage at F8. "What if you could type directly from your brain?" she asks.

In a video demo, Dugan showed the example of a woman in a Stanford lab who is able to type eight words per minute directly with her brain. This means, Dugan says, that you can text your friends without using your phone's keyboard. She goes on to say that in a few years time, the team expects to demonstrate a real-time silent speech system capable of delivering a hundred words per minute. "That's five times faster than you can type on your smartphone, and it's straight from your brain," she said.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/04/19/...ter-interface/

Elon Musk:

A couple of weeks ago, the Wall Street Journal revealed Elon Musk's latest venture, Neuralink, and its plan for developing brain-machine interface technology.

Musk and his team seem pretty close to making it happen -- the SpaceX and Tesla founder figures they can have something on the market to treat severe brain injuries "in about four years."

We are aiming to bring something to market that helps with certain severe brain injuries (stroke, cancer lesion, congenital) in about four years.

For something usable by people without a disability, Musk believes the timeline is more like eight to ten years. But, if the team can pull off the implantable, biocompatible wireless hardware it's dreaming of, then humans could communicate with computers and even each other with only thought. Elon Musk has repeatedly spoken about the potential danger presented by artificial intelligence, and increasing the "bandwidth" of communication is, he says, a way for humans to be symbiotic with AI instead of being replaced by it.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/04/21/...-in-four-year/

And for your viewing and listening pleasure:

I know that APL has done some work with direct neural attachment of prosthesis - e.g. an artifical arm driven directly by thought, with the potential to 'feel' as well.

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/...idual_fingers_

I do think we are perhaps at a 'knee in the curve' as it relates to direct man/machine interfaces and would not be surprised if we saw what will amount to a revolution in that arena over the next 20 years.

Jim
    Jorge's trueorigins paper: "...it is known that other volcanic features match what is usually associated with impact craters including ... shatter cones and crystal deformations"

Planetary Science Institute: "Shatter cones are found in only two places on Earth, 1) in nuclear test sites and 2) meteorite impact structures. They are formed as a result of the high pressure, high velocity shock wave ...

maximum pressures from 45 to 200 times greater than found in volcanic events (2->20 Gpa)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    I know that APL has done some work with direct neural attachment of prosthesis - e.g. an artifical arm driven directly by thought, with the potential to 'feel' as well.

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/...idual_fingers_

I do think we are perhaps at a 'knee in the curve' as it relates to direct man/machine interfaces and would not be surprised if we saw what will amount to a revolution in that arena over the next 20 years.

Jim
    Yeah I think we are at the same "point" as we were just before self-driving cars became viable. The technology breakthrough will come soon and then explode. Something like this can fundamentally change society.

Functional telepathy, functional telekinesis, and if they can make it so that they can input data into the brain as well as read data out, you would be able to have perfect VR on the level of the Matrix. You could also create augmented reality so realistic that you could not tell the difference. You could project yourself across the country and participate in "in person" discussions with people by projecting an image of yourself into their minds.

We would all be like Professor X.

Faith
    Non-Theist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I think this has always just been a matter of time. Where do I sign up?
    I'm probably drive-by posting.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrikature View Post
    I think this has always just been a matter of time. Where do I sign up?
    The more I think about it the more possibilities I can think of. Especially if they can put information into your brain. Can you imagine being networked into something like the internet, but with minds? Anything you want to know you can know just by "remembering" it. Want to know a new language? Just know it.

Tap into your vision and record everything you see in 3D. Play it back like a memory. Share it on MindTube.

Of course all the bad sci-fi things can come true too. The government can tap into your mind and read your secrets. Or torture you mentally. Or you can be inundated with mind spam. Or someone could hack your brain.

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The more I think about it the more possibilities I can think of. Especially if they can put information into your brain. Can you imagine being networked into something like the internet, but with minds? Anything you want to know you can know just by "remembering" it. Want to know a new language? Just know it.

Tap into your vision and record everything you see in 3D. Play it back like a memory. Share it on MindTube.

Of course all the bad sci-fi things can come true too. The government can tap into your mind and read your secrets. Or torture you mentally. Or you can be inundated with mind spam. Or someone could hack your brain.
    Yeah, much cool potential, but I can also foresee a lot of the worst aspects of the Matrix, the Ghost in the Shell world, and the Taelon Commonality.
    Semipelagiageislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Faith
    Non-Theist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Depends on how it's implemented. Interfacing with your mind doesn't necessarily mean it can read your mind. It doesn't have to be two-way. It doesn't have to hook into sensory data.

I feel like a lot of the bad sci-fi things are really dystopian setpieces. It's about the same with aliens coming to take harvest us.
    I'm probably drive-by posting.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Can digital telepathy transmit viruses? Though, we'd need a higher understanding of the rain/mind for that to happen...
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    Can digital telepathy transmit viruses? Though, we'd need a higher understanding of the rain/mind for that to happen...
    Typo. You clearly meant...https://youtu.be/D1wzRSBIMy8
    Semipelagiageislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    Typo. You clearly meant...https://youtu.be/D1wzRSBIMy8
    I meant to put brain....
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!