Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Digital Telepathy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital Telepathy

Apparently Brain/Computer interfaces are "just around the corner"

Both Facebook and Elon Musk are promising the technology in a few years. And I bet Facebook is working on a way to use it to deliver spam directly into your dreams at night.

But the technology does sound facinating. It would allow communication between people mind to mind, digital telepathy. Who needs a phone?

Here are excerpts from a couple of articles (the whole things are worth the read)

Facebook:

Facebook wants you to use your brain to interact with your computer. Specifically, instead of using something primitive like a screen or a controller, the company is looking into ways that you and I can interact with our PCs or phones just by using our mind. Regina Dugan, the head of Building 8, the company's secretive hardware R&D division, delved into this on stage at F8. "What if you could type directly from your brain?" she asks.

In a video demo, Dugan showed the example of a woman in a Stanford lab who is able to type eight words per minute directly with her brain. This means, Dugan says, that you can text your friends without using your phone's keyboard. She goes on to say that in a few years time, the team expects to demonstrate a real-time silent speech system capable of delivering a hundred words per minute. "That's five times faster than you can type on your smartphone, and it's straight from your brain," she said.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/04/19/...ter-interface/

Elon Musk:

A couple of weeks ago, the Wall Street Journal revealed Elon Musk's latest venture, Neuralink, and its plan for developing brain-machine interface technology.

Musk and his team seem pretty close to making it happen -- the SpaceX and Tesla founder figures they can have something on the market to treat severe brain injuries "in about four years."

We are aiming to bring something to market that helps with certain severe brain injuries (stroke, cancer lesion, congenital) in about four years.

For something usable by people without a disability, Musk believes the timeline is more like eight to ten years. But, if the team can pull off the implantable, biocompatible wireless hardware it's dreaming of, then humans could communicate with computers and even each other with only thought. Elon Musk has repeatedly spoken about the potential danger presented by artificial intelligence, and increasing the "bandwidth" of communication is, he says, a way for humans to be symbiotic with AI instead of being replaced by it.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/04/21/...-in-four-year/

And for your viewing and listening pleasure:

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Apparently Brain/Computer interfaces are "just around the corner"

Both Facebook and Elon Musk are promising the technology in a few years. And I bet Facebook is working on a way to use it to deliver spam directly into your dreams at night.

But the technology does sound facinating. It would allow communication between people mind to mind, digital telepathy. Who needs a phone?

Here are excerpts from a couple of articles (the whole things are worth the read)

Facebook:

Facebook wants you to use your brain to interact with your computer. Specifically, instead of using something primitive like a screen or a controller, the company is looking into ways that you and I can interact with our PCs or phones just by using our mind. Regina Dugan, the head of Building 8, the company's secretive hardware R&D division, delved into this on stage at F8. "What if you could type directly from your brain?" she asks.

In a video demo, Dugan showed the example of a woman in a Stanford lab who is able to type eight words per minute directly with her brain. This means, Dugan says, that you can text your friends without using your phone's keyboard. She goes on to say that in a few years time, the team expects to demonstrate a real-time silent speech system capable of delivering a hundred words per minute. "That's five times faster than you can type on your smartphone, and it's straight from your brain," she said.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/04/19/...ter-interface/

Elon Musk:

A couple of weeks ago, the Wall Street Journal revealed Elon Musk's latest venture, Neuralink, and its plan for developing brain-machine interface technology.

Musk and his team seem pretty close to making it happen -- the SpaceX and Tesla founder figures they can have something on the market to treat severe brain injuries "in about four years."

We are aiming to bring something to market that helps with certain severe brain injuries (stroke, cancer lesion, congenital) in about four years.

For something usable by people without a disability, Musk believes the timeline is more like eight to ten years. But, if the team can pull off the implantable, biocompatible wireless hardware it's dreaming of, then humans could communicate with computers and even each other with only thought. Elon Musk has repeatedly spoken about the potential danger presented by artificial intelligence, and increasing the "bandwidth" of communication is, he says, a way for humans to be symbiotic with AI instead of being replaced by it.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/04/21/...-in-four-year/

And for your viewing and listening pleasure:

I know that APL has done some work with direct neural attachment of prosthesis - e.g. an artifical arm driven directly by thought, with the potential to 'feel' as well.

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/...idual_fingers_

I do think we are perhaps at a 'knee in the curve' as it relates to direct man/machine interfaces and would not be surprised if we saw what will amount to a revolution in that arena over the next 20 years.

Jim
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      I know that APL has done some work with direct neural attachment of prosthesis - e.g. an artifical arm driven directly by thought, with the potential to 'feel' as well.

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/...idual_fingers_

I do think we are perhaps at a 'knee in the curve' as it relates to direct man/machine interfaces and would not be surprised if we saw what will amount to a revolution in that arena over the next 20 years.

Jim
      Yeah I think we are at the same "point" as we were just before self-driving cars became viable. The technology breakthrough will come soon and then explode. Something like this can fundamentally change society.

Functional telepathy, functional telekinesis, and if they can make it so that they can input data into the brain as well as read data out, you would be able to have perfect VR on the level of the Matrix. You could also create augmented reality so realistic that you could not tell the difference. You could project yourself across the country and participate in "in person" discussions with people by projecting an image of yourself into their minds.

We would all be like Professor X.

Comment

I think this has always just been a matter of time. Where do I sign up?
        I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
          I think this has always just been a matter of time. Where do I sign up?
          The more I think about it the more possibilities I can think of. Especially if they can put information into your brain. Can you imagine being networked into something like the internet, but with minds? Anything you want to know you can know just by "remembering" it. Want to know a new language? Just know it.

Tap into your vision and record everything you see in 3D. Play it back like a memory. Share it on MindTube.

Of course all the bad sci-fi things can come true too. The government can tap into your mind and read your secrets. Or torture you mentally. Or you can be inundated with mind spam. Or someone could hack your brain.

Comment

The more I think about it the more possibilities I can think of. Especially if they can put information into your brain. Can you imagine being networked into something like the internet, but with minds? Anything you want to know you can know just by "remembering" it. Want to know a new language? Just know it.

Tap into your vision and record everything you see in 3D. Play it back like a memory. Share it on MindTube.

Of course all the bad sci-fi things can come true too. The government can tap into your mind and read your secrets. Or torture you mentally. Or you can be inundated with mind spam. Or someone could hack your brain.
            Yeah, much cool potential, but I can also foresee a lot of the worst aspects of the Matrix, the Ghost in the Shell world, and the Taelon Commonality.
            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Depends on how it's implemented. Interfacing with your mind doesn't necessarily mean it can read your mind. It doesn't have to be two-way. It doesn't have to hook into sensory data.

I feel like a lot of the bad sci-fi things are really dystopian setpieces. It's about the same with aliens coming to take harvest us.
              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Can digital telepathy transmit viruses? Though, we'd need a higher understanding of the rain/mind for that to happen...
                If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                  Can digital telepathy transmit viruses? Though, we'd need a higher understanding of the rain/mind for that to happen...
                  Typo. You clearly meant...https://youtu.be/D1wzRSBIMy8
                  Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                    Typo. You clearly meant...https://youtu.be/D1wzRSBIMy8
                    I meant to put brain....

Comment

Though, we'd need a higher understanding of the rain/mind for that to happen...
                      1) Already happening.
                      2) Fundamentally necessary to the whole concept of the interface.
                      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

1) Already happening.
                        2) Fundamentally necessary to the whole concept of the interface.
                        So, how would one have an antivirus for telepathic brain/software viruses?

Comment

So, how would one have an antivirus for telepathic brain/software viruses?
                          The same way we currently do.

I don't see any need for an interface to write to the brain. All of the mind control or virus worries rely on it doing so.
                          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Think of it like a phone. Your phone communicates with other phones, and it can browse the internet. You can use voice-to-text or Siri or w/e. Your phone doesn't connect to you in any way.

Add in a sensory interface (glasses that project directly onto your retina is a common concept) and an electrical input (nervous system is electrical signals). Permanently attach them to your head. Now you're a cyborg.

What you're not: suddenly equipped with a method for electronics to write to your brain. Electrical signals can be limited to a single direction (this is how it's already done). Hacking doesn't change the physical architecture of the interface.
                            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Think of it like a phone. Your phone communicates with other phones, and it can browse the internet. You can use voice-to-text or Siri or w/e. Your phone doesn't connect to you in any way.

Add in a sensory interface (glasses that project directly onto your retina is a common concept) and an electrical input (nervous system is electrical signals). Permanently attach them to your head. Now you're a cyborg.

What you're not: suddenly equipped with a method for electronics to write to your brain. Electrical signals can be limited to a single direction (this is how it's already done). Hacking doesn't change the physical architecture of the interface.
                              true. but once we can decipher the brain to control things or translate thoughts to words, then the possibility is there to go the other way, direct interface with the nervous system could go both ways. no way to know at this juncture.

Comment