Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Digital Telepathy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
    Think of it like a phone. Your phone communicates with other phones, and it can browse the internet. You can use voice-to-text or Siri or w/e. Your phone doesn't connect to you in any way.

Add in a sensory interface (glasses that project directly onto your retina is a common concept) and an electrical input (nervous system is electrical signals). Permanently attach them to your head. Now you're a cyborg.

What you're not: suddenly equipped with a method for electronics to write to your brain. Electrical signals can be limited to a single direction (this is how it's already done). Hacking doesn't change the physical architecture of the interface.
    There seems to be a failure of many of the posters here to understand that this supposed "digital telepathy" is still all in text. Until someone can print text directly into your mind, it ain't really telepathy.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
      There seems to be a failure of many of the posters here to understand that this supposed "digital telepathy" is still all in text. Until someone can print text directly into your mind, it ain't really telepathy.
      Yeah, right now it's just telepathetic.

Comment

The same way we currently do.

I don't see any need for an interface to write to the brain. All of the mind control or virus worries rely on it doing so.
        By creating inputs to the brain, whatever the form, you are, in fact, writing to the brain. The brain will store those inputs as memories. You are adding data, and that new data, just like in certain types of exploits, has the potential to affect the control structure. To be an actual virus, like a computer virus, one needs to affect the control structure. But to a certain extent, indirectly, by creating memories, you can do that. Our primary 'anti-virus' in that case is the capacity to differentiate the source of the memories, are they 'real'. But there are types of computer viruses that do not create ANY new control structures (i.e. code), they just make creative use of what already exists by adding new data. (see Return-oriented_programming)

A lot of what we decide is based on experience, so the potential impact on the decision making process - the 'control structure' - remains, especially if there is a way to somehow make you think what you've seen and felt via the artificial input interfaces was 'real'.

Jim
        Last edited by oxmixmudd; 04-24-2017, 07:35 AM.
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
          By creating inputs to the brain, whatever the form, you are, in fact, writing to the brain. The brain will store those inputs as memories. You are adding data, and that new data, just like in certain types of exploits, has the potential to affect the control structure. To be an actual virus, like a computer virus, one needs to affect the control structure. But to a certain extent, indirectly, by creating memories, you can do that. Our primary 'anti-virus' in that case is the capacity to differentiate the source of the memories, are they 'real'. But there are types of computer viruses that do not create ANY new control structures (i.e. code), they just make creative use of what already exists by adding new data. (see Return-oriented_programming)

A lot of what we decide is based on experience, so the potential impact on the decision making process - the 'control structure' - remains, especially if there is a way to somehow make you think what you've seen and felt via the artificial input interfaces was 'real'.

Jim
          basically "brain washing"

Comment

Except that no one can force you to go against your moral code. So you can't be forced to murder some one against your will.
            If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
              Except that no one can force you to go against your moral code. So you can't be forced to murder some one against your will.
              1) Assuming that is true, suppose your moral code says 'thou shalt not kill', but your moral code allows you to kill in self-defense,

then all that needs to be done to get you to violate your primary moral code is to get you to believe the person they want you to kill is about to kill you.

2) Your assumption is that the moral code can't be forcably changed. Emotions cause people to violate their moral code all the time. Music and various foms of entertainment create emotions fairly easily. As do basic desires. What happens if the artificial input device can directly stimulate the pleasure centers of the brain and that input device is hacked by a sexual preditor to cause you to feel extreme desire towards that person? Can one's moral code stand against that? History and the majority of human experience would say 99.9% of the people on the Earth can't.

3) if you have multiple artificial input devices, what is to prevent you from having all the sensations and experiences assoicated with taking a pleasant bike ride in the county while the outputs to your legs and arms are being translated into movements necessary to carry out a jewelry heist*?

Jim

*of course, we are quckly getting to the Matrix, where we have all the sensations of a full and happy life while all the while we are just generating heat on the side of a wall of other heat generating biomass used for electricity generation by some alian invasion force. Of course, it's just as likely that such technology could be used by some minority 'elite' to create a 'humane' form of slavery. Slaves that would never know they were slaves, that would believe and feel and experience all that was assoicated with being free, all the while being completely and totally subservient to this special 'upper class'.
              Last edited by oxmixmudd; 04-24-2017, 08:09 AM.
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

That sounds creepy. And reminds me of fictional stories where the hero is made to think that they are fighting a very powerful opponent when they are actually beating up their best friend that is relatively much weaker than them. Now, hypnotism seems to get exaggerated in fiction...

Comment

all it takes is to convince you that what you are doing isn't against your moral code. You could be convinced that the person is getting ready to blow up a building and you are the only one who can stop him in time, for example. Brain washing isn't about making you evil, it is about changing your perception of reality.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    all it takes is to convince you that what you are doing isn't against your moral code. You could be convinced that the person is getting ready to blow up a building and you are the only one who can stop him in time, for example. Brain washing isn't about making you evil, it is about changing your perception of reality.
                    Let's please leave that kind of mind control in fiction land! Can the Holy Spirit stop you from doing something you will regret if mind controlled?

Comment

Let's please leave that kind of mind control in fiction land! Can the Holy Spirit stop you from doing something you will regret if mind controlled?
                      Unfortunately it is not in fiction land. Cults use this type of mind control all the time. As well as advertisers and governments. Commercials can change your perception of a product, making you want it over some other product. Governments use propaganda to convince you that they are good and others are bad. Cults use it to make people abandon their friends and family and even drink poison koolaid to get into heaven.

The Holy Spirit can do anything he wants to.

Comment

here is an interesting story of how app designers are "hacking" your brain using reward feedback to make you keep checking your phone.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/brain-ha...rs-60-minutes/

Tristan Harris: This thing is a slot machine. [holds up a phone]

Anderson Cooper: How is that a slot machine?

Tristan Harris: Well every time I check my phone, I’m playing the slot machine to see, “What did I get?” This is one way to hijack people’s minds and create a habit, to form a habit. What you do is you make it so when someone pulls a lever, sometimes they get a reward, an exciting reward. And it turns out that this design technique can be embedded inside of all these products.

The rewards Harris is talking about are a big part of what makes smartphones so appealing. The chance of getting likes on Facebook and Instagram. Cute emojis in text messages. And new followers on Twitter.

Tristan Harris: There’s a whole playbook of techniques that get used to get you using the product for as long as possible.

Every time you check your phone, you are setting up a feedback loop. You are looking to see "what did I get" and when you get a text or a facebook like, or some other notice, your brain perceives that as a reward, giving you pleasure and keeps you checking again and again. App designers know this and use it to feed your reward center and keep you using them. They just programmed you like a dog salivating when a bell rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          true. but once we can decipher the brain to control things or translate thoughts to words, then the possibility is there to go the other way, direct interface with the nervous system could go both ways. no way to know at this juncture.
                          I agree the possibility is there. I just think that's easy to spot as a "maybe don't do this".

I think there's some doc that ended up with arms telling him stuff because of this...I'm not into comics tbh...
                          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Jim
                            While true, I don't see how this is any different than what we currently deal with. All of my internet browsing is still brain input. It's not new or scary.
                            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

While true, I don't see how this is any different than what we currently deal with. All of my internet browsing is still brain input. It's not new or scary.
                              You will send me all of your bacon. now. If you don't have any bacon you will go and buy bacon and send it to me.

Comment

All of my internet browsing is still brain input. It's not new or scary.
                                Then you need to find better sites...
                                Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                                MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment