Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

There's No England Now...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
    Your levels of willful delusion are incredible. Being gay is the leading cause of teenage homelessness in the US.

Perhaps if you horrible conservatives stopped being so nasty to gay kids, they wouldn't attempt suicide so often? Or do you think that parents kicking the kids out of the house and onto the street makes the kids happier and lowers their chances of suicide? There's blood all over your hands.
    right. I am against any bullying of any kids: mental impairment, obesity, being a nerd, being gay, being trans, or even being from New Zealand.

The fact is in popular culture and in the liberals schools, LBGT has been not only normalized but praised as cool. Every teenage show on TV has a gay character or romance in it. Schools promote gay pride, inclusiveness, and tolerance. If THAT hasn't lowered suicide rates among gay teens, then MM is right, the problem is internal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
      The good old days, eh?
      far from it. Kids can be cruel. I was bullied for being a nerd and overweight my whole time in school. I didn't even think of suicide though. Or of going ballistic and shooting up the school.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        Hey, when you say "never", how many examples does it take to prove you wrong? Should I have not taken you literally?

(as it happens, I know a gal, who knows a guy)
        Never say never I guess.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          Given that he's ostensibly recounting his own experience, it's possible. Materialism is certainly celebrated in some churches. While I've never seen gluttony celebrated, I never once in my Protestant days heard a sermon against it.
          Well first having wealth is not sin in itself, and what exactly does scripture say about gluttony? I'm not sure if that even is a sin.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            ...or even being from New Zealand.
            That is a bit too far - what are we stoic saints?
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
              Nonsense, they were not celebrated in any church I ever attended!
              300lb. Pastor: "Well, after the service today the Johnsons have invited me over for dinner. I've been promised that Betty has made some of her famous blueberry pie, which those of you who've been over the Johnsons know, it can be hard to get to dessert after such an enormous fried chicken dinner. That's part of the sacrifice we make in full time ministry, let's pray."

Buff Pastor: "Well, after the service today the Johnsons have invited me over for gay sex. I'm not really into that but that's part of the sacrifice we make in full time ministry, let's pray."

^--- One of those will get 'amens' across the congregation while the other will get howls of protest - in both cases an example is being set for the flock.
              Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

far from it. Kids can be cruel. I was bullied for being a nerd and overweight my whole time in school. I didn't even think of suicide though. Or of going ballistic and shooting up the school.
                I was always a bit of a noodle, and an autistic kid who got angry easily. So I was prime bully target. I never thought of committing suicide either. I apologize if I come off as sensitive on these things, but I've seen Christians get might reactive whenever there's news about schools cracking down on anti-gay bullying. I get a little defensive. One of my best friend who lives in Arizona was seriously bullied by a bunch of other Christian kids while growing up.

Comment

Well first having wealth is not sin in itself, and what exactly does scripture say about gluttony? I'm not sure if that even is a sin.
                  Here ya go:

Originally posted by Ezekiel 16
                  Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride, excess of food, and prosperous ease, but did not aid the poor and needy. They were haughty and did an abomination before me. So I removed them, when I saw it.
                  Originally posted by Titus 1:12
                  One of the Cretans, a prophet of their own, said, “Cretans are always liars, evil beasts, lazy gluttons.”
                  Originally posted by Proverbs 23:20
                  Be not among drunkards or among gluttonous eaters of meat
                  Originally posted by Deut 21:20
                  And they shall say to the elders of his city, ‘This our son is stubborn and rebellious; he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton and a drunkard.’
                  The reason you don't know what the scripture says about gluttony is because the church is too busy going after teh gays to actually deal with an issue that is a problem in an affluent society.
                  Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

“Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags.” Proverbs 23:20-21
                    “He who keeps the law is a discerning son, but a companion of gluttons disgraces his father.” Proverbs 28:7
                    “Put a knife to your throat if you are given to gluttony.” Proverbs 23:2

We are also called to virtue and self-control in the epistles.

"For this very reason, make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge, and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness, and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love." 2 Peter 1:5-7

In 2 Timothy, gluttony is aligned with ungodliness and faithlessness.

"But understand this, that yin the last days there will come times of difficulty. For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good,treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, flovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power. Avoid such people. For among them are those who creep into households and capture weak women, burdened with sins and led astray by various passions, always learning and never able to arrive at a knowledge of the truth. Just as Jannes and Jambres opposed Moses, so these men also oppose the truth, men corrupted in mind and disqualified regarding the faith." 2 Timothy 3:1–9

Comment

Well first having wealth is not sin in itself,
                      No, but avarice certainly is.
                      and what exactly does scripture say about gluttony? I'm not sure if that even is a sin.
                      Well, it's unequivocally frowned upon (see, e.g., Deuteronomy 21:19-21, Prov. 23:20-21, 28:7; see also 4 Macc. 1:2-4, Sir. 23:6). Gluttony, like drunkenness and fornication, is abuse of what is naturally good. It is also famously one of the "seven deadly sins."
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man
                        And they're [gay characters] always depicted as the ones who have their lives together and are overflowing with wisdom while heterosexual couples are frequently depicted as dysfunctional.
                        I don't watch much television at all.
                        Which is probably why your other comment shows that, as usual, you don't know what you're talking about.
                        Last edited by Roy; 04-26-2017, 10:23 AM.
                        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                        MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
                          So fornicating couples, violence, and blasphemy didn't do it?
                          Here's the thing, fornication is usually not depicted as especially moral, and the couple often feels guilty about it or is ashamed when they get caught. And violence is often depicted as either evil in and of itself, or undesirable but necessary to prevent evil. Homosexuality, on the other hand, is celebrated and shoved in our faces as perfectly normal and healthy.
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• The interesting thing about the condemnation of gluttony in Ezekiel is that being overfed and not helping the poor was cited as the reason for Sodom's condemnation and not the more popular view of teh gays. I think Ezekiel paints view of Sodom that perfectly matches present day America and the issues raised therein are seldom handled in the churches I've attended whereas teh gays get lots and lots of air time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              Here's the thing, fornication is usually not depicted as especially moral, and the couple often feels guilty about it or is ashamed when they get caught. And violence is often depicted as either evil in and of itself, or undesirable but necessary to prevent evil. Homosexuality, on the other hand, is celebrated and shoved in our faces as perfectly normal and healthy.
                              Most of the shows I watch seem to celebrate fornication, violence, and greed.
                              I did watch a season of "Chiseled Boy Party in the Caribbean" but I was turned off by the way they mocked vegetarians.

Comment

Bingo. Homosexuals don't have a monopoly on being bullied and ostracized, although they often act like they do. I was far from being the most popular kid in my school, but I didn't turn to self-destructive behavior because of it.
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment