Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

There's No England Now...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
    The confusion isn't on my end.
    I've been in more than one church that equated America with Christianity.
    Have you met James Cusick?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Have you met James Cusick?
      I cannot take seriously anyone who reads Revelation as a fortune cookie.
      Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

I'd be interested in any N.T passages that make it your job to fight against other people's sin.
        Serious question, that, since you may actually find some.
        Ephesians 6:10-20

Hebrews 3:12

1 corinthians 5

Pretty much the whole bible is about fighting evil and sin, in yourself and in the world.

Comment

Ephesians 6:10-20

Hebrews 3:12

1 corinthians 5

Pretty much the whole bible is about fighting evil and sin, in yourself and in the world.
          None of those passages are about forcing righteous behavior onto unbelievers via the law, or even believers for that matter.
          All of those passages are instructions for people to watch themselves and encourage (not condemn or judge) others.

So no, those aren't a rebuttal.
          Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Look up Ezekiel 16 and see why Sodom was actually condemned.
            Look up non-sequitur in the dictionary.

Also, read the gospels and compare everything Jesus said about homosexuality with what he had to say about being judgmental.
            Nobody had to be told about the evils of homosexuality in 1st century Palestine.

I understand putting homosexuality at the top of your list; however, we should endeavor to emphasis what Christ told us to emphasize.
            Christ never really told YOU anything in the first place, let alone dictate what to emphasize, because different communities had different needs, even then.
            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

So is materialism, so is gluttony, so is lying, so is hatred... I'm just exhausted that this is the one mental disorder that gets all the press.
              Whose fault is that? There was no debate on the issue until liberals decided to make it a central issue. It wasn't conservative Christians who started obsessing on it. And like every good centrist you make sure to validate their attacks by gunning down your own side with arguments you picked up from Internet Infidels. I hope Manic Gerbil permanently wins out the bipolar fight in you. Soon, for all our sake.
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

None of those passages are about forcing righteous behavior onto unbelievers via the law, or even believers for that matter.
                All of those passages are instructions for people to watch themselves and encourage (not condemn or judge) others.

So no, those aren't a rebuttal.
                Did you READ 1 corinthians 5? It is exactly about judging others for their sin and forcing them out if they don't comply.

And who said anything about forcing righteous behavior? We are to fight evil. In this country we have the power to do that with our vote. Are we not to use that? Are we to condone sinful and evil behavior by allowing it when we have the power to stop it? Why not just let people go around raping and murdering then? Who are we to judge or try to "force righteous behavior" on them.

1 cor 5 It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and of a kind that even pagans do not tolerate: A man is sleeping with his father’s wife. 2 And you are proud! Shouldn’t you rather have gone into mourning and have put out of your fellowship the man who has been doing this? 3 For my part, even though I am not physically present, I am with you in spirit. As one who is present with you in this way, I have already passed judgment in the name of our Lord Jesus on the one who has been doing this. 4 So when you are assembled and I am with you in spirit, and the power of our Lord Jesus is present, 5 hand this man over to Satan for the destruction of the flesh,[a][b] so that his spirit may be saved on the day of the Lord.

6 Your boasting is not good. Don’t you know that a little yeast leavens the whole batch of dough? 7 Get rid of the old yeast, so that you may be a new unleavened batch—as you really are.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                  Whose fault is that? There was no debate on the issue until liberals decided to make it a central issue. It wasn't conservative Christians who started obsessing on it. And like every good centrist you make sure to validate their attacks by gunning down your own side with arguments you picked up from Internet Infidels. I hope Manic Gerbil permanently wins out the bipolar fight in you. Soon, for all our sake.
                  Don't go throwing around the 'C' word.
                  I'm not a centrist by any stretch of the imagination.

Comment

Did you READ 1 corinthians 5? It is exactly about judging others for their sin and forcing them out if they don't comply.

And who said anything about forcing righteous behavior? We are to fight evil. In this country we have the power to do that with our vote. Are we not to use that? Are we to condone sinful and evil behavior by allowing it when we have the power to stop it? Why not just let people go around raping and murdering then? Who are we to judge or try to "force righteous behavior" on them.

1 cor 5 It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and of a kind that even pagans do not tolerate: A man is sleeping with his father’s wife. 2 And you are proud! Shouldn’t you rather have gone into mourning and have put out of your fellowship the man who has been doing this? 3 For my part, even though I am not physically present, I am with you in spirit. As one who is present with you in this way, I have already passed judgment in the name of our Lord Jesus on the one who has been doing this. 4 So when you are assembled and I am with you in spirit, and the power of our Lord Jesus is present, 5 hand this man over to Satan for the destruction of the flesh,[a][b] so that his spirit may be saved on the day of the Lord.

6 Your boasting is not good. Don’t you know that a little yeast leavens the whole batch of dough? 7 Get rid of the old yeast, so that you may be a new unleavened batch—as you really are.
                    That is addressed to the church for church members.
                    I don't see anything in there about petitioning Congress.

Comment

Don't go throwing around the 'C' word.
                      I'm not a centrist by any stretch of the imagination.
                      The Other Gerbil isn't. You tho?

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                        The Other Gerbil isn't. You tho?
                        I'll burn the hide off you with a hot iron if you call me that again.
                        All better?

Comment

That is addressed to the church for church members.
                          I don't see anything in there about petitioning Congress.

You wanted scripture that said we should fight against other's sin
                          I'd be interested in any N.T passages that make it your job to fight against other people's sin.
                          This is an example. And it is a sexual sin. Just keep moving those goal posts.

Comment

I'll burn the hide off you with a hot iron if you call me that again.
                            All better?
                            Good - you are back - I was getting worried!
                            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

You wanted scripture that said we should fight against other's sin
                              I don't think excluding the unrepentant from your church is quite the same has holding 'GOD HATES FAGS' signs outside of a soldier's funeral.
                              That passage is describing an internal matter among professing Christians and says absolutely nothing about the rest of society at large.
                              I want a passage that describes fighting the sin of the unredeemed via the law/courts/anything.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              This is an example. And it is a sexual sin. Just keep moving those goal posts.
                              My original request: I'd be interested in any N.T passages that make it your job to fight against other people's sin.
                              You provided several passages that talk about fighting against personal sin.
                              You provided one passage that talks about excluding people from the church.

I'll grant you one point based on a technicality; however, in context we were talking about gay marriage (or health care) so I was intending to communicate civic law.

Comment

I'll grant you one point based on a technicality; however, in context we were talking about gay marriage (or health care) so I was intending to communicate civic law.
                                Love your neighbour? There are plenty of civic reasons to fight gay marriage.

Comment